If you're going to ask a question about a turbo here on DSMtuners, be sure you've read this whole message. We're going to be a little more strict about how turbo questions are asked in order to maintain the high level of quality in the forums. This is usually the most popular question, and the first question by newbies - and it shouldn't be. The truth is, you never need to ask which turbo to buy. You can answer your own question by reading and doing research on each turbo to find whether or not it will work for your goals. It's mostly personal preference anyway, as most turbos are capable of performance numbers that the average tuner will probably never see. Most of your questions can likely be answered by performing a search on the turbo name.
- Before you ask:
1. Be sure you have all your engine mods listed in your Profile.
2. Be sure you first understand what supporting mods are needed for larger turbos - check the Tuning Guide linked at the top.
3. No "X"-Turbo vs. "X"-Turbo threads... these are never useful.
4. Use the Private Message feature to ask various members about their setup.
5. Please avoid asking questions about turbo specs, unreleased turbos, or other questions that can be accurately answered by simply calling the manufacturer directly or visiting their website.
6. NO vague "which turbo should I get?" type questions. This tells us you don't even know the capabilities of the turbos on the market. Do your research and then ask a more intelligent question when you are more informed. Click the "Advanced Search" link up top and start looking for info on each turbo name.
- How to ask:
1. Ask about specific turbos only.
2. Title your thread specifically about the turbo you have a question on, and ask a specific question about that turbo.
3. Give all the information you possibly can in order to allow others to offer useful feedback.
- How to post an answer:
1. List your mods and achievements in your Profile.
2. List what your goals were when you, yourself were turbo shopping.
3. List what turbo(s) you went with - not which one(s) you didn't.
4. Post your experiences only for the turbo(s) you've used.
5. Do not give opinions on the turbo(s) you have no first-hand experience with.
6. Do not argue with other turbo owners from a competing manufacturer.
7. Stick to the topic. Give your feedback on the turbos in question. Don't try to talk the person into going with a different turbo manufacturer.
8. No bad-mouthing turbo manufacturers - use DSMreviews.com to review a part or a vendor.
If people ignore/begin to stray from this format, we'll be closing threads without warning. If you posted a thread and it was closed, it was because you did not follow the guidelines above. This should take care of a good amount of needless arguing and hidden agendas. We're confident that this will improve the quality of the turbo-related discussions that take place here in the forums.
Popular turbo names to do keyword searches on:
You can find the names of all of the most popular turbos in our Parts Catalog. It's located here:
Search the forums for the turbo name before you ask a question about it.