The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Loose wires or bad starter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted99_420

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2010
Fort Carson, Colorado
Ok so i have finally gotten my GST back together completly and the time came to start it today with athe brand new battery and nothing happened Starter relay just clicked. Here is the back ground. It is a 95 GST with a fresh 6bolt swap, i went a picked up another starter relay thinking that may be the problem but no luck still no start. The Volt gauge i have in car is reading 12.4 volts with the door open, and powering 3 gauges. I also put on a brand new positive terminal today because old one was a loose POS. The fuses are all good and all. When i turn the key just a little bit i hear a small click coming from under the dash by the pedals it sounds like, then when i go all the way to start i hear the relay click. The Alternator is brand new, clutch safty switch is unpluged, new neg. terminal will be on tomorrow. What i am narrowing down to is the starter has gone kaput. But before i go pick up a new one i want to make sure of all the little things it can be first.

PS: will try jumping the starter tomorrow.

Sure sounds like a loose ground connection or something of that sort. I've experienced that with prior vehicles before where there was not enough juice getting to it from either a loose connection or a bad battery and all you heard was the starter relay clicking. Triple check all your connection are tight, secure and free of corrosion. The new negative terminal your getting definitely wouldn't hurt. Good luck

Starter tested good, was told it could be ignition switch

Ignition switch is good, now im gonna start looking for loose wires, anyone have a link to the starter diagram?

Ok so now, the starter comes up but doesn't spin the engine over. The engine isn't locked up, relay is good, starter tested good, ignition switch is good, im stumped the next thing I am going to do is a Push Button Start if I can't find the problem.

Problem solved installed a push button start in car and starts right up

I've always heard the ignition switches in 2g's go bad and mine is starting too also, sometimes i have to try the key 5-6 times before i get it to crank over. Push button was my planned solution too

you got pics of the one you used>? I'd like something that looks really nice like OEM on some newer cars.

No I don't have any picks I just picked up a temporay one from oriliey for $5, some wire about 20ft, connectors, and a fuse also. Very simple to do.

Where is the relay located? I am having the same problem right now but I only hear the click under the dash, nothing else. If I keep turning the key eventually it may catch for half a second or if I try to many times the fuse blows.

So I read the relay is located behind the radio? I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

Yes the relay is right behind the radio, it will be the one in the middle

So I checked out the relay today. Noticed there was a wire spliced into one of the relay plug wires. Followed it into the engine bay and it wasnt connected to anything. It had a female connector on it that was grounding out on my intake manifold. The tip of it was burnt from all the times I tried to start it.

Cut out and removed the wire. Problem solved!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back