The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

T3 frame HX52 breaks 600awhp

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmcurse

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2009
Pasco, Washington
Hey guys I just wanted to share my results with you, there was a decent thread that lasted a while about a custom machined housing for a HX52. Only a few days after we got it running we hit the dyno. Boostdriven beat me by 40 horse, man, that guy can build a car! he got 660 and I got 620. I'm super happy with our results and numbers.

Alex's HX52 is in a custom machine housing too, but his is a bit bigger and its twin scroll with a quick spool valve, my HX52 is stuffed in a even smaller housing thats just single throat/scroll. Pretty close in spool time. We have basically the exact same set up, with almost identacle parts but the main differance that seperated us by 40 horse was his cylinder head he hand ported, mine is not, his "no-cat-back" exhaust is 3.5", mine is 3", he has Kelford cams, I have Brian Crower.

So Alex got me by 40 horse but i had a awesome experience today, it was so satisfying to break into the 600 horsepower club! And this was done on a heart breaker dyno, with an official Mustang Dyno rep there teaching proper calibration technuiqes. The cool thing was is that the rep posted my car's first pull on there facebook page. AWESOME. if you go to MustangDyno facebook page you will see expensive GTR's and exotics and then my lil 95 DSM... I think its cool, maybe i can get a link posted in here for easy veiwing pleasure? I'll try.

Any who, heres some pictures and the basic info, 2.0 engine, T3 frame direct bolt up HX52 turbo, 36-37psi boost, 23* timing up top, 1150 injectors (peak was %88 duty cycle), AFR was well with in the safe zone, could of got more agressive there but didnt, had good timing with no knock, agin, could of got more agressive but didnt want to get greedy. :)

Attachments

• tristens%20dyno%20paper.jpg
    tristens%20dyno%20paper.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,048
  • tristens%20dyno.jpg
    tristens%20dyno.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,007
  • dynodaystrapdown.jpg
    dynodaystrapdown.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 193
  • dyno day may3.jpg
    dyno day may3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20130503_192511.jpg
    IMG_20130503_192511.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 183
nice man. maybe i missed this but what housing did you machine to your hx52? is the bep? also when are you reaching full boost by?

the housing was a BEP .70 ar housing that was fully ported and custom machined. full boost in third gear by 5600 RPM

Well, I hope this link works, this was my second power pull, the dyno rep posted this one on there facebook page, it wasnt the money maker run that got 621awhp buy its still dope :) I like that theres expensive GTR, GTR, GTR, EXOTIC, MUSCLE CAR, then my lil '95 DSM... Pretty cool in my book

https://www.facebook.com/mustangdyne

Last edited:
Why is your peak torque so high up in the rpm range? I usually see this when a turbo lag to bad in third gear on the dyno. Did you get enough load to spool the turbo up in third gear?

lag wasnt bad at all given the size of the turbo, i do however notice it spools a TINY bit slower on the dyno vs's an open mob session down the smooth highway, I dont know? i think it has a bit to do with the strap tightness from the grounds safety chains to the chassis and the fact that its in a room with nothing more than a fan recycling the same $hit-ass air around the room. so ya, she spools a bit quicker on the freeway than it does in a room. but tourqe and horsepower seem good in my opinion, i like the power curve. it climbs the whole time and never lets off. she's a 8500RPM engine, there-fore it should produce power all the way to 8500. and thats exactly what it does exactly like it was intended to do :)

Last edited:
Its a good recipe urbansmoker, its possible to have a nice T3 turbo header, and have a direct bolt up HX40 and a direct bolt up HX52. When all the pipes and the lines and hoses and all the jive bolt up perfect from the 40 to the 52, it gives ya a good peice of mind knowing that "ah if I want to it only takes about a HOUR to swap in the 40" orif your on the 40 and need the extra pep you say "ah, it'll only take me about a HOUR to swapin the 52". The idea boostdriven had works awesome and I'm oh-so-happy that I got to be the test subject and get the first T3 footprint HX52

Ya this is the best turbo I have had so far, "small" HX35 = good, "big" HX40 = better, "custom" HX52 = best

Yes the car is maroon, the wheels I bought from a local tire place here in town where my friend works, I don't even know their proper name :) gtr something, I'll have to look them up again.

Where is Justin, I thought he was waiting for the results on this housing. I haven't seen his post in here or the housing thread I started since the results were posted ;)

He has a business to run.. and other threads to moderate.

I don't think it helps that you guys have a tendency to rub people the wrong way. These last two "cheeky" posts serve to bolster that impression.

I know he is a busy man but since he said that he was waiting for the results I figured he would have some kind of input on this. The man has over 10,000 posts so he must have some time for tuners.

I don't think it helps that you guys have a tendency to rub people the wrong way. These last two "cheeky" posts serve to bolster that impression.

I saw it the other way around in the previous thread. Either way good job love that you guys keep trying new things and then actually post results.

Where is Justin, I thought he was waiting for the results on this housing. I haven't seen his post in here or the housing thread I started since the results were posted ;)
I'm here- guess I could say I expected a bit more (more power given the size and spool, or just a quicker spool) considering the HY35 has made 560whp on pump gas a 604whp on E85 while spooling about 1000 rpms quicker.

I mean 600+hp is nothing to scoff at regardless of what turbo's doing it, but you may as well go with something that requires less machining and custom fabrication while spooling much quicker.

Good point Justin but if you build the engine to rev to 8500 rpms you don't want your peak torque to be at 5000 rpms and have HP fall off after 7000 rpms. If I remember correctly, on the highway Tristens HX52 hits 30 psi in 3rd gear by 5500 rpms and 5000 in 4th gear, I think that's pretty good considering HX40 is not that far ahead of it.

its the dollar per performance ratio that was the deceiding factor, were only 300 bucks invested into the new turbo, dollar for dollar, pound for pound its hard to beat those results for the buck spent, i dont care who ya are, a 300 dollar turbo that can litteraley suck the air completley out of the dyno room is a winner in my book for sure

I saw it the other way around in the previous thread. Either way good job love that you guys keep trying new things and then actually post results.

wow, me too....

i get a red check mark because i say you dont need a catch can and "snot-tubes" work just fine....

which by the way, boostdriven lays down 660awhp WITH NO OIL CATCH CAN, and there wasnt a DROP of oil left on the dyno-rollers, we made it a point to look... then we laughed!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back