The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

"rough" 20g street Tune 349awhp 323tq 21-22psi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MY1GDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2007
On the beach, Washington
So I know these are not record numbers or anything. But pretty respectable... .

Under the circumstances I figured it was sort of note worthy(I'll get to that part :) ).

I Had a semi-local guy last week that picked up a clean 1g from another local dsm'r that's been around a while. Car had about 100k pretty nice car.

Anyway, they had some parts they wanted to get swapped out on it (injectors, MAF ect.) and get everything adjusted right, We also switched the car over to E85. This was just a fairly quick street tune with a Ostrich.

Setup is as fallows

1990 Talon Tsi AWD

Motor:

Pretty much stock 6 bolt rebuilt about 15k ago with Arp headstuds, Arp rod bolts,2g pistons, 3g lifters,kiggly valve springs, stock m/t cams

NOTE: I just found out that it had Springs and Rod bolts didn't know this while tuning... .

MHI TD05 20g with ported 7cm Hotside

Old school ETS FMIC (One of their first tune & fin cores)
Ported 2g exhaust manifold, Recirculated Tial 38mm external wastegate,
3"downpipe to highflow cat to 2.5" Buschur Racing catback, PTE 880cc, #482 maf, B&M FPR gauge and not sure what brand adjustable fpr
Stage 3 Centerforce clutch w/ Stock flywheel.

Dual map Custom Eprom Chip of mine in Eprom ecu for the Tune

The car did have a Safc... . But I Unhooked for tune and then ZERO'd it out after... .

Here is the Interesting part, The owner just had a EGT, some old Narrowband flashy gauge and a boost gauge...

They hadn't got a chance to get the Wideband in yet so I made due with what I had to get it running right... Did a quick Gas map tune to burn off the little gas left and switched it over. Car felt pretty good on just a street tune at 20-22 psi on E85 so we left it at that till we could get a wideband it... .

They went ahead and did a couple Dyno pulls to see where the car was at now on friday, The Bov wasn't crushed or modded so it wasn't holding higher then 20ish...

Here are the results

NOTE BEFORE ANYONE ASKS THIS IS THE TUNE I DID UNTOUCHED

ALSO, First pull the Clutch switch had came unhooked before hand so it hit 2-step and Run 2&3 boost was raised slightly from the first... .
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Pretty good numbers. Thats almost my setup except i have gsc s2 cams and im running jackal on a 2g head. Can you remotely tune jackal? Or have you before?

Those are damn respetable numbers on a 20g and such little engine work.. Lot of tuning experience makes a nice difference in the way a car runs, i commend you on your work!!!!!!!!

I take it this is on pump gas??? My 57 trim at 19-almost 20psi (wouldn't hold steady) was making 332/312 with a beautifull flat curve from peak torque to peak HP, something very similar to what you're seeing on yours. BUt you're doing it through a cat-con but have a better flowing FMIC that i did at the time, and aside from me having the 7.8:1 1 pistons and you being on the 8.5 2g units the engines were damn similar too. Sorry to toss my info in there but i'm just doing it for my own comparison of how similar or yet i'mseeing even "simpler" yuour setup to wortk with is compared to what i was working with at the time

Again, great work.. now toss a little ethanol in the tank and turn things up a little bit :D

Nice numbers looks like a pretty good starting point.
Thanks It is just a staring point, As the car in the near future will have some upgrades and be on higher boost :)

Pretty good numbers. Thats almost my setup except i have gsc s2 cams and im running jackal on a 2g head. Can you remotely tune jackal? Or have you before?
Thanks

Feel Free to PM or preferably Email me directly as these are the tech forums... . So lets keep it on topic :)

Though, my Freelancer Ad has the answer to that ;)

I believe that was on E85, Impressive numbers none the less:hellyeah:

I too run a 20g, always nice to see these.

Thanks... . I personalty was just happy I got things so close with no wideband :cool:

If goes back on the Dyno, I will post fallow up numbers.

Those are damn respetable numbers on a 20g and such little engine work.. Lot of tuning experience makes a nice difference in the way a car runs, i commend you on your work!!!!!!!!

I take it this is on pump gas??? My 57 trim at 19-almost 20psi (wouldn't hold steady) was making 332/312 with a beautifull flat curve from peak torque to peak HP, something very similar to what you're seeing on yours. BUt you're doing it through a cat-con but have a better flowing FMIC that i did at the time, and aside from me having the 7.8:1 1 pistons and you being on the 8.5 2g units the engines were damn similar too. Sorry to toss my info in there but i'm just doing it for my own comparison of how similar or yet i'mseeing even "simpler" yuour setup to wortk with is compared to what i was working with at the time

Again, great work.. now toss a little ethanol in the tank and turn things up a little bit :D
Thanks, Glenn

But, This Was on Ethanol... .I could have gone a bit more agressive I'm sure and picked up some more power... .

But, I did this tune with NO Wideband so I didn't want to go crazy, Also the owner has already got a New BOV on the Car and it seems that their dyno butt has confirmed it was definitly not holding much above 20psi LOL

I'm going to have my hands on the car in the near future again and It's going to see higher boost and the Dyno again after more then likely... .

I may go a bit more aggresive with the tune( it's the owners DD)
And I believe it's gettign a 3" TBE, Cams and since it has a new BOV(or modded one)and It's going to be see higher boost of cource...

I'm confident that it can do over 400 easy as is though on just a little higher boost or fairly close to these number on some good gas(and me tuning with a wideband). But, I don't like to bench race so that's Why I posted this instead :)

The bov has indeed been switched out with a crushed 1g bov from my other gsx that held 25-30 before.The wideband has been installed as of last night,but now im having w/b sensor issues so a new one will be ordered today.The narrowband was not mine by the way,it was in the car when i bought it and i figured it was better than nada since i didnt have a bung welded in yet to install my wideband.As far as the boost being higher,absolutely.I will trust stacy and english racing that my motor should be able to handle 25-30lbs on e-85,and if not i happen to have a 90 gsx part car with a 6 bolt that i may have to utilize:) God i hope not,LOL.Im not quite sure if i want to go with bigger cams quite yet.My hp goal was to be in the 350 range and here i am,and i'm pretty confident that when i go in to dyno the next time i will be near or above the 400hp mark. I really do feel that if he had a w/b to work with at the time to dial in a more aggressive tune safely,and the bov was holding past 21 psi i couldve had a considerably higher hp#.Im a happy camper thus far:)

Good numbers man, once we finish up the loose ends you will be good for 400+whp easy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back