The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

HX35 dyno-264/272 vs 272/272

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Peepers

DSM Wiseman
Oct 16, 2005
Janesville, Wisconsin
Open house Dyno at Late Model Throttle in Waukesha, WI.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Same setup besides the intake cam change from a 264 to a 272 DKS(HKS regrind) since early this year. Healthy increase across the board and no decrease in spool time.

30psi
Stock intake manifold
Stock 6 bolt
7 blade hx35 w/ 12cm^2 turbine housing and twin scroll manifold

Never seems to make crap for peak numbers but does well at the track so that's all I really care about :p

The last time I posted the 264/272 dyno it was with STD correction- SAE is the "standard" I guess and a lot more conservative for those wondering.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gK4NSpdFZJ8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gK4NSpdFZJ8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

400+ ft/lbs before 4K!??! Sign me up!

Is this with race fuel? 93 octane? E85? 93 + meth??

That is a very impressive torque curve for a 2.0L with those peak numbers, congrats!

Thank you for this awesome example of why I'm going 264/272 instead of the cookie cutter 272/272.

Is there suppose to be something wrong with the composite felpro gasket? I've used it at 25 ~ 30psi for many a pull with no problems................you guys got me worried now.

Is there suppose to be something wrong with the composite felpro gasket? I've used it at 25 ~ 30psi for many a pull with no problems................you guys got me worried now.

There is nothing wrong with it. some people seems to push coolant but thats because of numerous factors. head or block is warp. People aren't checking these things and installing them. Later on after it fail because of the warp-age they blame it on the head gasket. Its 20 plus year old car and not paying attention to these detail is what bring poor reputation on these cars. There is alot of factors that need to put into consideration before pointing fingers and you need test/observation data to back your findings.

Felpro are top of the line gasket makers and they are good shiz. Don't worry about your gasket. if it hold at 30psi, im sure its okay.

There is nothing wrong with it. some people seems to push coolant but thats because of numerous factors. head or block is warp. People aren't checking these things and installing them. Later on after it fail because of the warp-age they blame it on the head gasket. Its 20 plus year old car and not paying attention to these detail is what bring poor reputation on these cars. There is alot of factors that need to put into consideration before pointing fingers and you need test/observation data to back your findings.

Felpro are top of the line gasket makers and they are good shiz. Don't worry about your gasket. if it hold at 30psi, im sure its okay.

Thanks for the confidence boost :thumb:

I've used them religiously because I've had no problems - and only with ARPs. An ebay 16g around 24psi, an e316g at 26psi and now a td05h 20g at 26 ~ 28psi. I had a pushing coolant issue once but that was due to poor head installation, kinda rushed it. Replaced that headgasket and made sure it lined up properly - haven't had problems since.

E85 and $30 composite felpro :)
As I'm about to slap in some A1s and an OEM composite...did you do any o-ringing? I'm considering this step, but not convinced.

Nice numbers fo-sho!

As I'm about to slap in some A1s and an OEM composite...did you do any o-ringing? I'm considering this step, but not convinced.

Nice numbers fo-sho!

Not trying to speak for him but I think its just a composite gasket no o-ringing and L19 for head studs.

He made more power on both 272's unless I'm reading the dyno graph wrong...

What?

He sure did, but look at the curve for the 264/272. A higher lift similar duration cam would support the same curve at higher power levels. If you're a drag guy, 272/272 all the way. If you're into anything else, that 264/272 curve is damn sexy.

He sure did, but look at the curve for the 264/272. A higher lift similar duration cam would support the same curve at higher power levels. If you're a drag guy, 272/272 all the way. If you're into anything else, that 264/272 curve is damn sexy.

Am I missing something? Here it is a little bigger

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/mrpeepers422/HX35264vs272.jpg?t=1306278032

The curves are exactly the same until the 272's start making more torque and more power. I don't know what is sexy about that.

Maybe you thought the two torque curves was for the 264/272 and the two hp curves were for the 272/272? They both have torque and hp curves with the 272/272 in blue and the 264/272 in red.

I thought I told you to go with a 272 and you were all worried about spool up. You're not running the SMIM yet? Assuming you see a decrease in spool, it won't be much. If it is made properly, the overall increase in flow should negate some of the effect the shorter runners make on the low end.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back