The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Compound turbo dyno results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99gst_racer

Apr 5, 2003
Coloma, Michigan
I had some fun on the dyno yesterday. It was a 2WD Dynojet, so I dropped the t-case and driveshaft and hit the road. The very first pull blew the tires clean off on the rollers before we even hit 6K rpms. Love that torque! We eventually had to turn the tire pressures down to 20 psi and use some sort of spray on aerosol traction promoter to get traction. Immediately, the clutch began to slip in the 5000-6700 RPM range and slowly catching back up. I'm pushing this ACT 2600 well beyond what it's rated for and I'm surprised it's done as well as it has thus far. But, it's time for a twin disk. The blank areas on the dynograph are where the rollers weren't accurately reading due to the clutch. And when it caught, it still wasn't catching 100%.

Despite the slipping clutch, I was still able to squeeze out 609 WHP and 541 ft/lbs torque. This was at 47 PSI! But, the final pull also answered my question of whether or not the head was warped from overheating at the shootout. The head gasket popped somewhere between cylinders 2 and 3 and was pissing a stream of coolant out the back of the block. So, I'll have the head resurfaced this time around and should be all set. And I'll have to get a better clutch before I can see true and complete curves and peaks.

This power curve is gnarly! This is exactly why it's an absolute blast to drive around on the street.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

We did some math and we feel it would have peaked in the 680-700 WHP range had the clutch held. And we would have started the pulls at a much lower RPM, but that was putting the clutch in an even tighter headlock.

Datalog attached.

Attachments

• 04_609hp541tq.elg
    14.7 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Quite impressive, Paul. Awesome to know one of my rebuilt 16G's is literally holding more boost and generating more airflow than any 16G on the planet. Between your car and Dave's HX40 setup, my turbos are setting all kinds of records this year!

I still think Christi sabotaged your car so I wouldn't get a ride in it at the Shootout. :hmm:

It would be interesting to see how running on an AWD dyno would've effected the power output with all four wheels turning....being FWD-only obviously helps with drivetrain loss, but your slipping clutch, melting the tires on the dyno, and the fact that you had to drop to 20psi all result in lower numbers too! :ohdamn:

...and of all places to get your car dynoed- Paul's High Performance? LOL Should've been a sign from the start.

Having been here since around 04 watching everything you have done and continue to do is like watching a child grow into an adult! haha :hellyeah: Awesome numbers man! I love the set up and will continue to follow the build.

Nice results Paul. It will be interesting to see what it does with a twin disk in there.:hmm: Did you ever figure out why you lost coolant at the shootout? I thought I read somewhere that you thought someone may have messed with the radiator cap.:mad: I hope that's not true though.:pray: Thanks for keeping us posted and it looks like the compound setup is working it's magic as expected.:D

HAHA Paul looks sick man. So your telling me we need to get an AWD dyno at the shop ehh...

Looks good Paul, I've been waiting for the dyno results for awhile from this setup but what about the video? LOL

*EDIT* I'm glad you posted the video while I was asking for it, must have read my mind. Do you think its capable of 700 awhp?

:dsm:

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Quite impressive, Paul. Awesome to know one of my rebuilt 16G's is literally holding more boost and generating more airflow than any 16G on the planet. Between your car and Dave's HX40 setup, my turbos are setting all kinds of records this year!

I still think Christi sabotaged your car so I wouldn't get a ride in it at the Shootout. :hmm:
Hells yeah. :hellyeah:

I'll definitely give you a ride in it at the SO next year. Better the car be 100% for a true experience anyway. :) What did Christi think of it?

It would be interesting to see how running on an AWD dyno would've effected the power output with all four wheels turning....being FWD-only obviously helps with drivetrain loss, but your slipping clutch, melting the tires on the dyno, and the fact that you had to drop to 20psi all result in lower numbers too! :ohdamn:
What's the parasitic loss difference between FWD and AWD? I always used 3% (15% for FWD and 18% for AWD), but was never sure how accurate that was.

...and of all places to get your car dynoed- Paul's High Performance? LOL Should've been a sign from the start.
Right? I wish that was my shop. There's more toys and tools there than I'd know what to do with. LOL

I'll definitely give you a ride in it at the SO next year. Better the car be 100% for a true experience anyway. :)
Can't wait, man. I think we should see it on the dyno at Buschurs as well to see just how your street car stacks up against some of the race-only machines!
What did Christi think of it?
She had the female equivalent of a giant erection the entire time and has had nothing but good things to say ever since. Such a crazy issue with the coolant loss- I hope if someone was actually tooling with your rad cap that they have read your posts and realize the damage they did.
What's the parasitic loss difference between FWD and AWD? I always used 3% (15% for FWD and 18% for AWD), but was never sure how accurate that was.
I'm not actually sure what the difference is; it just seems to me that the t-case, driveshaft, rear diff, both rear axles, and the tires trying to spin the rear drums too would amount to more than 3%. I'm sure someone out there has calculated it.

I've even heard that running with slicks on the dyno can have a drastic change in power output simply because of the low pressure and sidewall flex; when you figure how easily your street tires turned at standard pressure versus the 20psi needed to get the car to hook up I'm sure you lost some HP numbers there as well....but dyno conditions are rarely ever perfect for anyone, you know?

Nice results Paul. It will be interesting to see what it does with a twin disk in there.:hmm: Did you ever figure out why you lost coolant at the shootout? I thought I read somewhere that you thought someone may have messed with the radiator cap.:mad: I hope that's not true though.:pray: Thanks for keeping us posted and it looks like the compound setup is working it's magic as expected.:D
I'm almost positive it was a defective radiator cap. It spins itself loose while driving. And I was really slow at catching my temp gauge rising. I honestly don't think anyone messed with it.

HAHA Paul looks sick man. So your telling me we need to get an AWD dyno at the shop ehh...
You do that, and I'd be there playing on it like every weekend. :D

That's awesome Paul! I can't wait to take a look at the log.

Damn do I want a ride in that :thumb:
You and Eric should make a point to come to the SO next year.

PS - I didn't have much time at all to play with the tune due to swapping out the head gasket the day before yesterday. So, it's far from perfect, but definitely improved from what it was this past spring.

That things sounds like a freaking beast man :hellyeah: I think my 97 Comp Trans Am ran into my garage and is hiding:cool: after I played that video!
ROFL It did sound amazing at 8500 RPMs inside that metal building. I wish the camera would have captured it the way I was hearing it. ;)

Looks good Paul, I've been waiting for the dyno results for awhile from this setup but what about the video? LOL

*EDIT* I'm glad you posted the video while I was asking for it, must have read my mind. Do you think its capable of 700 awhp?
Most definitely. I just wish I had the clutch to prove it. ;)

Believe me, I want to go to the SO next year. Craig was bugging us about that a week ago. I told him Eric doesn't like driving his car more than 137 miles per year ROFL

It's on my calendar - just need to convince Eric to give up some time and money to go.

I'll play with the tune and see what there is to be changed and let you know.

Believe me, I want to go to the SO next year.
What the hell's your excuse? Craig drove something like 16 hours straight each way...hell even Lofty drove his DSM of questionable reliability 8 hours each way to attend! You can't let Lofty have one up on you like that!

What the hell's your excuse? Craig drove something like 16 hours straight each way...hell even Lofty drove his DSM of questionable reliability 8 hours each way to attend! You can't let Lofty have one up on you like that!

2 years ago my brother's car was down and he said he was only going to the SO if he drove his car. This year I had come back from vacation in Europe that weekend. Next year I'll be there :thumb:

This year I had come back from vacation in Europe that weekend.
Under normal circumstances I'd say that a European vacation is completely fun and worthwhile....but there's one weekend a year that a vacation in Europe or anywhere else in the world doesn't have SHIT on Norwalk, Ohio. LOL

You're a Moderator- your attendance is mandatory. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back