The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

97 GSX: 2.3 Stroker with a T4 FF TS HTA3076

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvaughn

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Hey all, I started a build blog on here a while before they switched to the new system and haven't had the time to make the move to a build thread until now. So here is the link to my previous intro and Ill move forward with updates in this thread from now on.

Previous Blog: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/blogs/rvaughn/

Anyway, to cliff note it:

Last year I had English Racing build a 2.3 stroker that I ran my evo3 16g on for about 6 months at 393/396 on E85 until I shredded 4th gear in my stock ~120000 mile transmission. Feel free to look at my current mods list for the list of goodies she had when the tranny went. Now she is back up at English awaiting a few goodies (pics to follow as soon as progress begins). Please keep in mind the car is a weekend warrior at best and the intent is to get it built with this setup and then use it at the track in the summers. I have a DD so she doesn't get out much.

New parts being installed:

Transmission
Jacks Transmission 2.2 HD transmission with the 4 spider upgrade (Purchased awaiting arrival)
ACT 6 Puck 2600
OEM Flywheel

Turbo
FP HTA3076 with new rebuildable billet center section (Purchased, awaiting arrival)
Full Race Twinscroll T4 1.06 A/R turbine housing (Purchased)
Tial MVS Wastegates, atmospheric dump (Purchased)
Custom T4 Twinscroll, Forward Facing, manifold by English Racing. Hoping to maintain A/C and P/S, stock locations, and even a cone filter! <--- This will take an act of god, I know, but in talking to Joe at ER he seemed to think he could make it happen. I feel it will work out no matter... Im just greedy and want all the essentials left in place. <----Update: Filter plan changed, see post #29. A/C removed prior to my knowledge, guess ill find a different use for the button.
Custom V-band DP with Ebay special GIANT Wastegate cutout <----Update: cutout to follow at a later date

Fuel
FIC 2150s (Purchased)
Wally 450 (Purchased)

The aim of the build up is to take advantage of the Twinscroll setups ability to spool faster along with the transient response of the HTA tech, and the 2.3 to create as fast of a spool as possible with great response while hitting ~550/500 on E85, ~450 on pump, and hopefully a mid 10 second quarter mile time (someday, no hurry on this one, I just wanna drive it and have fun). I want a true area under the curve street car that isn't hard to drive in traffic, you wont see any crazy weight loss plans here or creature comfort removals, I have ALWAYS built this car with the intent of keeping all creature comforts in place. It annoys me when buttons and interior pieces dont work/are gone on my personal vehicles.

At any rate, I would expect this project to be completed right around the middle of November as it stands now so thanks for looking and Ill update with pictures of the progress as soon as I get some!

Give me some input guys: I would like to get the compressor cover powder coated or polished and anodized. Ive done a black theme in the engine bay, but I am worried I am hitting my limit and need a little variance in color choice. Should I stick with black and keep things nice and hidden or should I put some crazy color on the compressor cover for fun?

Here are a couple pics to give you a little taste of the engine bay as well as some fun ones!

Attachments

• I win @ 12.6 114mph.jpg
    I win @ 12.6 114mph.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_20130518_235822_040.jpg
    IMG_20130518_235822_040.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_20130524_133529_668.jpg
    IMG_20130524_133529_668.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_20130524_133529_669.jpg
    IMG_20130524_133529_669.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 728
  • DynoPhoto.jpg
    DynoPhoto.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 695
  • Car2012.jpg
    Car2012.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:
Small Update: I was hoping to run the Jacks 2.2 HD with the new Double Syncro sets but unfortunately it appears they had some problems with the syncros on the test vehicle so we will be going without the double syncros. See here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/jac...ble-synchro-gears-your-dsm.html#post153340542

None the less, I have heard great things about the 2.2 HD from jacks and I would expect the transmission will be fine without them. Anyone have any experience with transmissions that might want to chime in and give me an idea of the feel / response difference?

Thanks!

Why not powder coat the compressor cover red? It will resonate well with the red engine bay you have. Plus you have a black theme going on, it will definitely look badass!

Congrats on the clean bay. Do i see cruise control too??? Damn, that clean and even keeps the cc. Lol, awesome car dude.

^^ I had considered that, my concern there is getting the color to match close enough so it looks good. I suppose I could just polish the comp cover to get it to match the chrome components in the bay too but I thought a color would be nice. Maybe you are right, I am gunna have to think on red some more. Thanks for the input!

^Thanks man, I have some ideas for the CC so that it becomes hidden. Not sure yet if it is feesible but I think I might give it a shot once the car is back from english. To give a little more detail, I am considering trying to relocate the CC down below the intake manifold and push the cable under the fuel rail to hide it, I guess we will see what happens!

Thanks for the input guys!

I wanted to drop in and give a progress report, I now have a nice new Jacks 2.2 HD waiting for install at English and I am told by FP/English that the new turbo should be shipping Monday! Stay tuned, things are about to get really exciting! I hope to have some manifold build pics and other pics soon.

Attachments

• IMG956909_2.jpg
    IMG956909_2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 236
New HTA3076 should arrive this week, had a slower turn around for shipping on it than originally quoted but hell who can complain, FP produces the best turbos around and has incredible service! I am going to head up this week and grab pictures if time permits. Hopefully this thing will be wrapped up by the end of Nov and I can get the car back home for some detailing and photos. Stay tuned!

Great build man, I'm shocked I haven't came across this build sooner. I can't wait to see it finished keep the updates coming.

Alex

^Thanks man, Im looking forward to it! Id like to get the power mods done so I can get the car looking the way I want it. I see you are from the frozen north, ive always wanted to visit! You have a nice looking car as well sir! I love me a nice, clean, 1g!

Well here we go... I can see ALOT of clean up to do on the car once I get her back (she has been sitting at english for quiet some time) but as promised, a couple quick pics of whats happening currently.

Attachments

• IMG950480~2.jpg
    IMG950480~2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG950473_3~2.jpg
    IMG950473_3~2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 378
^To follow! Those last photos are as she sits now. Big shout out to Myles at English for all the pics, pulling strings, and help and also to Michael at FP for the killer turbo!

Mockup has begun! I know, I know, the bumper needs love, body work to follow this shop visit. HOWEVER, the pics speak louder than anything I could say...

Attachments

• IMG957616.jpg
    IMG957616.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 312
Well, I went and visited with the guys at English and talked to Brandon, the manifold builder about placement of parts. I must say I am very impressed with his plan and placement of everything, those guys do killer work!

On a side note, the A/C was sacraficed in the process, kinda dissappointed but I know a certain e85 to gas tune switch which I could potentially relocate to that button in the car, if not ill find a use for it so it has a useful function... Next to go may be the cruise control depending on how much relocating I can do...

Ill get some more pics up when we are nearing completion on the mani. From the sounds of it by the end of next week if all goes well! Stay tuned!

Things are starting to shape up! Ill try and get some more pics in the next few days! I need to get a vent ordered ASAP for the bumper so we can have that thing smiling at us full time!

The guys at English got asked how large of a turbo would fit, this was the result. This is a 1.44 a/r T4 housing for a 42r, full drag prep would allow for this turbo!

Attachments

• forwardfacing.jpg
    forwardfacing.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 335
  • forwardfacingdownward.jpg
    forwardfacingdownward.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 339
in the second pic, what heat shield is that? Ive been trying to find one of these for a while

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...ance-exhaust-manifold-blanket-off-ebay-2.html

Here is a link to some info on the blanket. I googled 'fp mani blanket' and found one on eBay as well. I seem to be having trouble accessing the original website. Levi was great to work with, if you can get ahold of him I'd highly suggest having him make you one.

I'll also be listing mine along with fp mani, ported evo 3 16g hot side, and Megan racing O2 housing in the forums for sale soon.

Much awaited! Times running short before this thing starting up! LOL more to come! Stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMG950747.jpg
    IMG950747.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG951542_2.jpg
    IMG951542_2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG952170.jpg
    IMG952170.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG959346.jpg
    IMG959346.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 278
Thanks everyone, keep the posts coming, Ill do my best to speak to everyone.

^^I appreciate the kind words sir!

^I am glad you are interested in one, I would direct you to English regarding cost and availability on the setup. As for the cooling issue, I am concerned about it, I will be doing quiet a bit of shrouding and ducting to try and assist as well as setting some fail safe warnings in ECMLink. The 2600 was chosen based on English's recommendation, I was of the mindset that I would be running a 2900 as well. My last clutch was only installed for roughly 4000 miles and in that time I found very quickly that it was not enough to hold the power I was making. Although I think it gave me 2000 of those 4000 miles BECAUSE it couldn't hold all the power. English is very aware of this and Ive told them I want to avoid messing around with under equipped clutches and this is the recommended setup they gave. I I do feel it should be right on the edge of too little and just enough, time will tell! Thank you for the questions and observations, they do not fall on deaf ears.

This is a very interesting setup, I'm sure it'll be fun to drive, but I just can't understand why someone with your goals of keeping AC, PS, cruise, etc wouldn't just go with a standard bottom mount manifold setup? You could also run a full size radiator. Outside of a drag only setup, I don't see the point in forward facing, curious what steered you in that direction?

Love it! Looking forward to some results. Did you get in on the FP sale (I see they are including the 3076 now)? It is terribly tempting to try one of these setups out down the road so I am looking to see how it works out for you.

Travis

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back