The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Variable Vane Top Mount Build 97 GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kthackst

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2008
York, Pennsylvania
Hello everyone just wanted to show everyone my build. It's not really just mine I have had a lot of help to get it to its current point and have a ways to go.

The goal of the vehicle is to be a test platform for new variable vane turbos on the market.

This leads to my first post. We decided to make a top mount manifold since we wanted the maximum amount ig room for the turbos we will be testing.

The turbo is manifold was designed to fit the Holset HE351. This turbo's turbine housing was larger in size and diameter than the compressor house significantly. We knew if this fit anything would.

This pushed the radiator forward which led to a custom fit radiator as seen below.

Enjoy

manifold7.jpg

manifold2.jpg

manifold8.jpg

manifold1.jpg

IMAG0351.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! That looks absolutely huge! I'm glad someone decided to venture out and try the VVT turbos! I'm not sure of the size of the turbo, but its VVT, and it sounds like a hair dryer when the veins open or close at idle. Pretty sweet stuff! That manifold is absolutely beautiful!

This turbo is basically a HX40 where the turbine throat area can be anywhere between 3 to 25 cm^2 depending on vane position. For reference a normal HX40 T4 flange is 18cm^2 and a mitsu 16g is 7cm^2. So this could have some very interesting spool characteristics.

It will be interesting to see how the Switchblade turbo will fit in there.

Why run a small turbo when you can a big turbo that spools like a small turbo. Well that is what this build will find out .
IMAG0375.jpg

The turbo on the left is a 16g and the one on the right is the Blaylock Switchblade turbo. We will be testing this turbo first since it has be proven on a diesel truck and we want to see how the performance translate into the gasoline world.

There are 2 cars i know of running that turbo. Both of them using a wastegate actuator to control. I'm excited to see it being utilized properly!

Yes that is the point. Anyone can strap a wastegate actuator on these turbos but to control it properly will be interesting experiment. We saw a huge difference in spool on the diesel when we had the stepper control system. Controlling the position of the vane is crucial. Open and closed is not good enough to yield the maximum potential.

tech like this is why turbo's have become so popular on everything even stuff from the factory. I will say having a controller that works with our ecu and the turbo will be the hard part. Mounting a turbo even a huge one has been done but getting something like this to work will be game changng

Yup... a 63mm compressor wheel accelerates (spools) like it's a 16g... Video from Blaylock Turbos. :hellyeah:
[ame=http://youtu.be/UboeJNVzcPI]Blaylock Switchblade Turbo Accleration with Suprock Technologies VGT Controller - YouTube[/ame]

The car has gotten pretty far this weekend. Won't be long now.

I haven't updated this in a bit. Here we go

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

Got the top mount wrapped and ready to go. Just some electrical and it should fore up this next weekend. Easter present !

Cool build you have going here. Im really interested in the switchblade in how it compares to the he351ve, and how you are going to control them.

What percentage are you running the veins at and instead of using a turbo with vein angle why not use one that raises and lowers the incoming and out going pressure by plate movement like in the 1.7 and 2.8 liter cummins diesels? just curious is all.....I was actually talking to my cummins rep at work about this today. He says that if the plate pressure is ran at around 85% that there wouldn't be any need for a wastegate at all. I will try to get the numbers for the turbos he mentioned and cross reference them with what you guys are using. Awesome job btw.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back