The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Compound Turbo Setup Holset style

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viperlp01

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2006
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Well I am moving my old thread into this thread kind of. I am starting with a new idea this year. My Hx40 set up netted me a best of 10.61 @ 134 with 29psi of boost pressure but I reached full spool around 4900 rpms. I love driving my car on the streets as much as at the track so I wanted a little more umph down low.

So I got to talking with Paul and another compound guy and they sunk the idea into my head. I wanted the smallest HX35 sized turbo and thought that a H1C would work perfect for my primary. Then I new I needed something big for my secondary and I decided on the HX52. I picked up the H1C off the cummins forums for 120 shipped and went to Goldfarb for the HX52 and picked that up for 180 shipped. I worked out a pretty sweet deal with Justin(Jusmx14) for a rebuild on both turbos and in exchange I rebuild one of his heads. So for 300 dollars worth of turbo I am going for 9s this year.

After building my first manifold it is rediculous how much easier it was to design this manifold. It took me a STUPID amount of time last year to design and weld the FF manifold for my HX40 and this year I built the entire primary manifold in about 15 hours. 3-4 of it was making the merge collector.

So enough talking. Here are the pictures

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0226.jpg

DSCF0229.jpg

DSCF0228.jpg

DSCF0231.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg

DSCF0233.jpg

DSCF0234.jpg

DSCF0232.jpg

DSCF0235.jpg

I decided on V mounting my intercooler forward so the charge pipe from the 52 to the 1C could run in front on my bumper support and behind my intercooler. I will have to cut into my bumper a little.

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0240.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

Making the hot pipe to connect the two turbos is gonna suck. I will have to pie cut most of it to make the transition but it should work fine. I am using two 38mm waste gates on the first manifold and 1 44mm in between. Plan is to run a full exhaust on this car so I can drive it more. I was worried about getting an exhaust ticket last year when I did drive it on the street.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Pure awesome. This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about with the holset turbos and compounding proving themselves lately. A perfect marriage. I think this really captures the dsm spirit, creativity, ingenuity, low cost and very fast.

I asked this the other day in Paul's compound thread, but what are your thoughts at this point for the connecting exhaust pipe size between the two turbos and wastegate sizing?

I think a compound setup would be a nice ticket for a FWD car with all of that weight up front.

Ya the HX52 weighs a shit load. I get my head flange from straightline specialties and I get my turbo flanges from vibrant and my piping from ace stainless. The engine will be solid mounted with some custom mounts I am making and then the turbo is going to be supported by the frame.

Are you planning on running a different housing with that h1c? I ran a WH1C with a bigger than 12cm divided housing on an open manifold, and the spool plain sucked. Like 5k for 25psi. Your HX52 would spool faster than that on a good manifold. I know your running a 2.4, but its still not going to spool very fast.

Ya not pictured is the bep t3 hotside that I picked up. Makes it much easier and nicer.

Subscribed. I have a Holset HX52 & a HX55 for a build. Not sure which one I'll use... I was toying around the idea of maybe a compund setup with a 20g or something close with one of my Holset monsters. This will be on a 2gb Talon too...:D

How'd you mount up your IC and radiator? It looks like you've removed the original radiator support... I'd be interested to see pics of that setup as well. pm me for my e-mail or cell phone to text them if you don't want to post them up.

Last edited:
I have pictures in my old build thread of the front support. I am a much better welder now and working on getting a bender at the shop and when I do I am going to redo it in chromoly.

I also have my auto apart getting a rebuild.
-Kiggly front clutch kit
-Rock Auto DK-4100 rebuild kit
-Sinister speed level 1 8" torque converter
-Kiggly 7 bolt Flex plate(Soon to be released)

When I get the auto in I will finish the manifold. The engine moves to much having it supported by a jack and the placement of the big turbo has to be perfect. I will also be working on solid motor mounts when the auto is in. Hopefully next week will have some major updates.

Well been busy as shit at the shop recently so I have been sneaking in some work after hours. I have my auto almost back together. Just need to order some small stuff. I welded the center diff and install both diffs. Now the fun part of installing all the clutches.

398411_10150630893994734_542829733_9025740_457210957_n.jpg

I am going to mount the trans in the car and start working on my solid motor mounts, rest of the manifold, and ratchet shifter while I save up for the torque converter and the flex plate. Should have some more updates this weekend

The trans build is lookiing good so far. did you paint it with aluma cast paint or blast the case? clutches aren't bad to do. are you changing all of the piston seals as well?

Ya I have replaced every seal, clutch, and steel. Kiggly front friction and steels are on the way along with a prototype 7 bolt flex plate!!(Kiggly and his wife are great people to work with and I am glad to be testing out one of there products). I am also waiting on a shift kit to install along with wiring up the kiggly manumatic.

I should have the internals of the trans finished up tomorrow and hopefully have the trans in by the weekend.

Kiggly prototype flex plate and 5 friction front clutches came in.

425596_10150644653114734_542829733_9064647_863100937_n.jpg

very creative. you should add a little bit of nitrous to really make things interesting. can you say 30 psi on an hx52 by 5000rpm's LOL.

Shop has been stupid busy lately and I had 3 late nights in a row so only progress is getting my trans put back together and awaiting the valve body. I hope to have the car in the shop by the weeks end.

Well lots of updates. Shop has been boomin', so its late when i work on it and I rarely have enough time to find my camera to take some pictures. Sooooo

Auto build.
-Kiggly front clutch
-Kiggly 7 bolt "prototype" Flex plate(BTW fits like a dream and looks even better)
-Welded center/viscous coupling delete
-Kiggly Manumatic mod
-Full rebuild with borg warner/raybestos kit
-Translab shit kit along with oil port mod
-Sinister speed torque converter(waited to order to see what guys think. They are now working on a customer stator to help with the "loose"ness of the
TC. Once that is sorted out I am having one on the way)
-B&M quicksilver rachet shifter
-B&M trans cooler(-6an lines)

Pics-
Johnsbuild002.jpg

Johnsbuild004.jpg

Johnsbuild005.jpg

Johnsbuild006.jpg

Johnsbuild006.jpg

Johnsbuild008.jpg

Johnsbuild009.jpg

Trying to mate the two turbos has been one of my hardest fabrication projects yet. No one makes a bend as tight as I wanted and I was inspired by the LS1 intake on that E36 in speedhunters so I tried pie cutting the cross pipe.

Johnsbuild011.jpg

Johnsbuild010.jpg

Johnsbuild015.jpg

Johnsbuild022.jpg

Johnsbuild023.jpg

Tial 60mm placement idea for the primary

Johnsbuild025.jpg

2nd Tial 60mm placement for secondary

Johnsbuild026.jpg

Car will have full exhaust and recirculating wastegate. Going after the DSE class at shootout should be fun with this thing.

Is it just the view or is the HX52 sitting at an angle along it's shaft's plane? I know they (holsets) have a specific amount of degrees specified as the max angle allowable on that plain but i'm sure you're probably within it if the turbo is at an angle at all.

The build is awesome, i can't wait to see some results, traction is probably gone out the window though LOL but either way there's something to be said for those that take the trouble to build their cars along this far

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back