Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Drivetrain Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Drivetrain Tech: 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2003, 08:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 151
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 6

Flywheel resurfaced , still has small cracks ?

I just got my stock flywheel turned and it still has some hairline heat cracks. The guy who did it said that the cracks dont go all the way threw and it should be fine, he also said something about magnaflux that he did to it. I just need some input on this , is the flywheel still good to use ? and what is magnaflux ? Thanks ahead.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 24
Classifieds Rating: 0
You're gonna have to take it back and see if the cracks can be machined out. If they can't be machined out, I'd reccomend getting a new one.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/c...ywheeltech.htm

Old 05-30-2003, 12:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Oh, Magnaflux is used to detect flaws in ferrous parts. (metals)

Old 06-01-2003, 04:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 151
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 6
Thanks I decided to go ahead and install the flywheel after asking bout 10 knowledgable people .

View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-02-2003, 03:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Magnaflux is a proprietary process of dusting a ferrous metal with iron oxide powder (or powder suspended in a fluid such as kerosene), inducing a magnetic field into the item, and looking for the dust to form "lines" which will form along surface and sub-surface cracks. I was certified for it a few jobs ago. Largest thing I was ever in on was the crank on a Norwegian grain ship- 3' bore, 6' stroke, 18" con rod big end diameter. We used an arc welder to create the field.
For nonferrous materials, Zyglow is a similar method for surface cracks. Then there's eddy current testing, and dye-penetrant, X-ray and ultrasonic.
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-02-2003, 05:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 642
Photos: 7
I take it that none of these 10 people are ever regular passengers in your car?

Someone needs to post some pics of what happens when the flywheel lets go...
Visit DrZiplok's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-03-2003, 02:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
I'll see that bet, and raise you a movie:

http://home.inreach.com/defiant/Talon/flywhe~1.wmv

You may want to turn off the... um... "music".

I'm wth you, I don't know where they're getting machinists these days. I'd never be able to get a flywheel back from any of the guys I've hired unless it was spring-daisy fresh. They'd never let it out of their shop.
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-04-2003, 06:55 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 179
That's insane. When the hell is ACT going to start selling their flywheels for the DSM? That crap scares me.

Old 06-05-2003, 10:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Think of your flywheel like the windshield in your car. When you get a crack in it, and it's fairly cold out, you turn on your heater. As it warms up, you can watch the crack get bigger. Then after a week/month the crack reaches the outside of the windshield and stops. Just think what the flywheel's gonna do at 6500 RPM's when those cracks get bad enough:eek: Just a thought though.