The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Flywheel resurfaced , still has small cracks ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityforce

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2002
Avondale, Arizona
I just got my stock flywheel turned and it still has some hairline heat cracks. The guy who did it said that the cracks dont go all the way threw and it should be fine, he also said something about magnaflux that he did to it. I just need some input on this , is the flywheel still good to use ? and what is magnaflux ? Thanks ahead.

Oh, Magnaflux is used to detect flaws in ferrous parts. (metals)

Magnaflux is a proprietary process of dusting a ferrous metal with iron oxide powder (or powder suspended in a fluid such as kerosene), inducing a magnetic field into the item, and looking for the dust to form "lines" which will form along surface and sub-surface cracks. I was certified for it a few jobs ago. Largest thing I was ever in on was the crank on a Norwegian grain ship- 3' bore, 6' stroke, 18" con rod big end diameter. We used an arc welder to create the field.
For nonferrous materials, Zyglow is a similar method for surface cracks. Then there's eddy current testing, and dye-penetrant, X-ray and ultrasonic.

That's insane. When the hell is ACT going to start selling their flywheels for the DSM? That crap scares me.

Think of your flywheel like the windshield in your car. When you get a crack in it, and it's fairly cold out, you turn on your heater. As it warms up, you can watch the crack get bigger. Then after a week/month the crack reaches the outside of the windshield and stops. Just think what the flywheel's gonna do at 6500 RPM's when those cracks get bad enoughOMG Just a thought though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back