Flywheel resurfaced , still has small cracks ?

Posted by gravityforce, May 30, 2003
Drivetrain Tech - 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

1. gravityforce

gravityforce Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Avondale, Arizona
    I just got my stock flywheel turned and it still has some hairline heat cracks. The guy who did it said that the cracks dont go all the way threw and it should be fine, he also said something about magnaflux that he did to it. I just need some input on this , is the flywheel still good to use ? and what is magnaflux ? Thanks ahead.
  2. 16GSX

16GSX Proven Member

, Aitkin_MN
    You're gonna have to take it back and see if the cracks can be machined out. If they can't be machined out, I'd reccomend getting a new one.

www.roadraceengineering.com/clutchandflywheeltech.htm
  3. 16GSX

16GSX Proven Member

, Aitkin_MN
    Oh, Magnaflux is used to detect flaws in ferrous parts. (metals)
  4. gravityforce

gravityforce Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Avondale, Arizona
    Thanks :thumb: I decided to go ahead and install the flywheel after asking bout 10 knowledgable people .
  5. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
    Magnaflux is a proprietary process of dusting a ferrous metal with iron oxide powder (or powder suspended in a fluid such as kerosene), inducing a magnetic field into the item, and looking for the dust to form "lines" which will form along surface and sub-surface cracks. I was certified for it a few jobs ago. Largest thing I was ever in on was the crank on a Norwegian grain ship- 3' bore, 6' stroke, 18" con rod big end diameter. We used an arc welder to create the field.
    For nonferrous materials, Zyglow is a similar method for surface cracks. Then there's eddy current testing, and dye-penetrant, X-ray and ultrasonic.
  6. DrZiplok

DrZiplok Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , Berkeley_CA
    I take it that none of these 10 people are ever regular passengers in your car?

Someone needs to post some pics of what happens when the flywheel lets go...
  7. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
    I'll see that bet, and raise you a movie:

http://home.inreach.com/defiant/Talon/flywhe~1.wmv

You may want to turn off the... um... "music".

I'm wth you, I don't know where they're getting machinists these days. I'd never be able to get a flywheel back from any of the guys I've hired unless it was spring-daisy fresh. They'd never let it out of their shop.
  8. MaineDSM

MaineDSM Proven Member

Ellsworth, Maine
    That's insane. When the hell is ACT going to start selling their flywheels for the DSM? That crap scares me.
  9. 16GSX

16GSX Proven Member

, Aitkin_MN
    Think of your flywheel like the windshield in your car. When you get a crack in it, and it's fairly cold out, you turn on your heater. As it warms up, you can watch the crack get bigger. Then after a week/month the crack reaches the outside of the windshield and stops. Just think what the flywheel's gonna do at 6500 RPM's when those cracks get bad enoughOMG Just a thought though.