The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Trans in wrong gear...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airsign89

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2011
troy, Michigan
I didn't even think this was possible on a manual trans but I just got done putting my trans back on for the second time, new everything minus clutch. I bleed the system, do a last minute flight check, everything's good and start her up! Car at idle shifts into every gear, 5th is a little vague, so I go out for a road test and the car while shifted into 1st pulls off the line like its in a higher gear; ie it's falling on its face, I'm slipping the clutch to get it rolling and around 20mph is when I'm able to finally fully release the clutch. Question is: how is it possible that I messed up the linkage for it to behave this way? Is it even possible? Here's a picture of me going 27mph in "1st" at just over 1500rpm. What did I do wrong? Thanks you guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 77
Looks like the car is in 3rd gear at those engine speeds...

Have someone move stick shift left/right while you watch gear selector arm on the transmission move. I think you should see it move up/down. If it does not move up/down, try to move it by hand up/down. If it moves by hand, check your cables linkage and the stick shift assembly.

I guess I'll go about this in a different way: when putting the transmission in gear from the selector on top of the trans where the cables go, where is nuertral? 1st gear? Thanks.

Oh yeah and that would make more sense as 1-3-5 are on the same "rail"(?).

They are not on the same rail. 1/2, 3/4 and 5/R are the rails.
You have it in third gear. At the tranny you'll see the selector go up and down. When the arm goes back and forth its' selecting one of the sets above dependon on what position it is in vertically. It's spring loaded to stay in the middle which is 3/4.

Take a look at the entire shift mechanism at the transmission. Have somebody work the shifter inside the car and see what's happening. There is a small plastic block that fits in the shifter at the transmission. I've seen this go missing before. It shouldn't take long to figure it out.

Are the shift cables secured into the brackets? When one of the clips popped out of my cable bracket, I couldn't get into first or second. Third gear was where first should have been. I'd check over all that again just to make sure you are not overlooking anything.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back