The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Another 2G FWD auto to manual thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etay89

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2009
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
So obviously, I want to turn my auto GST to a 5 speed and yes, I have read previous faqs and other threads of sorts, but I'm still a bit unclear. I know next to nothing on transmissions (let alone a 5 speed). Let me explain the situation at hand. I recently acquired a 5 speed tranny with a busted 2nd gear syncro, along with shifter cables, shifter assembly, and clutch pedal. Obviously, when I begin this project in latter part of the year, I want to be ready. I'm going to send my tranny...more than likely to TRE for the rebuild, I'll probably get an LSD, flywheel, and ACT 2100 clutch, but what else do I need?

Now going by the two most informational threads about the swap (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-drivetrain/231626-2g-fwd-auto-manual-conversion.html and http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dri...completed-auto-manual-swap-my-97-fwd-tsi.html), the questions I have are:

-what's a clutch fork (because I have no clue what it looks like or does)

-one thread lists the front m/t axle as a part, but the other doesn't. is it recommended or necessary?

-the pedals? speed sensor? tranny bracket and mounts? what's up with that?

A clutch fork is something at pushes against the pressure plate springs (fingers) and allows the clutch to disengage. It's the thing the slave rod is attached to!

I would recommend getting an OEM Tob. Part number is like MD798884 (or close to that, I'm running on no sleep)

I recommend sending it into Tim Zimmer just for personal preferences.
tmzperformance.com

I can't answer much more, but I hope I helped.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back