The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

21, 22, and 23 spline transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugustaMeRs

Probationary Member
Mar 27, 2005
vassalboro, Maine
I am looking for a new transmission and was wondering since there is three different transmission splines what is the difeerenc, is it the output, shaft or the input or what. why wouldn't they bolt up?????

i too blew my trans\t-scase and am currently lookig for a replacement but i don't know what kind (splines) i can use..

for the trans i think i can use any 90-96 trans but the t-case i'm not sure which one to get ?

My rear diff says (Viscous LSD - JFH **** 3. 307) the * is japansese symbols. Maybe that can help determine how many splines i need.

Please help us both :thumb:

okay i dont think their is such thing as a 20 spline just 22-23.Now from what shepp told me on the phone about the splines on the tranny is that all 90's and some of 91's have 22 spline. from late 91-99 all have 23 spline. the diffrence is that a 23 spline trannie will hold up a little better than a 22 spline. i have a 22 spline and it holds up fine but im still in the low 13s not in the 10s like some people are

eclipse:dsm:talon:talon:laser:laser:

so from what i can gather i am best off getting a trans\t-case combo from a 91-96 gsx\tsi awd since they are all 23 spline and my 95 gsx is 23 spline allready (rear diff etc) ?

Best regards
Tobias

well i see in your profile that you have a 6 bolt swap. from what i HEAR you can use eather a 1g awd transmission or you can use a 2g awd transmission. just as long as the 1g awd transmission is a 23 spline. i wouldnt take the chance of trying to buying a 91 awd transmisson because their is a chance you can get a 22 or a 23. play it safe, and if you buy a 1g awd transmission go with a 92-94 one.

i just hope the rest of the drivetrain in 23 also.. but usually when people do 6-bolt swaps they don't change rear diffs?

I'll try to get a 92-96 awd tranny\t-case :thumb:

Best regards
Tobias

well the whole "SPLINE" thing deals with the transmission and the transfercase. eather one combo will bolt on the to driveshaft/rear end.

22 or 23 spline refers to the amount of splines on the output shaft on the transmission, the one that goes into the transfer case. Which is why you have to use a 23 spline transfer case with a 23 spline transmission. If you have a 2G you have to use a 2G transmission. A 1G tranny will not go into your car even if you have a 6 bolt. You would be missing 2 mounts, 1G's have 3 mounts on the motor and 1 on the tranny while 2G's have 3 on the tranny and 1 on the motor.

ok i see, so i can really only use a 95-96 trans....

Well i'll continue looking :thumb:

Best regards
Tobias

Syndicate13 said:
22 or 23 spline refers to the amount of splines on the output shaft on the transmission, the one that goes into the transfer case. Which is why you have to use a 23 spline transfer case with a 23 spline transmission. If you have a 2G you have to use a 2G transmission. A 1G tranny will not go into your car even if you have a 6 bolt. You would be missing 2 mounts, 1G's have 3 mounts on the motor and 1 on the tranny while 2G's have 3 on the tranny and 1 on the motor.

what mounts are you talking about? motor mounts?

dnhieu said:
what mounts are you talking about? motor mounts?

In our cars there is only technically one motor mount. The front mount and rear mount are roll mounts, there to ensure the motor and tranny don't roll back and forth. On a 1G the roll mounts are attached to the block, on a 2G they are attached to the bellhousing of the transmission.

Now from what shepp told me on the phone about the splines on the tranny is that all 90's and some of 91's have 22 spline. from late 91-99 all have 23 spline. the diffrence is that a 23 spline trannie will hold up a little better than a 22 spline.

When is the exact "cut-off" date? My Talon has a MFG. date of Aug. 1990 (even though it's a 1991). So would I be correct in assuming it has 22 splines?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back