The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1/4 mile update on my 91 Galant VR4 #1062

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalantVR41062

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2002
Maple Grove, Minnesota
I had a fun and long weekend up at the MAP proving grounds, my car number was 1616.

We made 2 runs on saturday. The first run was just to see what the boost was at, look at the log, and see if the new tranny parts were happy shifting at almost 10,000rpm.

So we cooled the water to air down with 15lbs of ice, lowered the tire pressure from 28psi to 26psi, upped the boost a little, and I raised my slip launch rpm up to 6000rpm.

The track had good traction and the IAT started at 65deg F and at the end of the run were up to 100deg, boost was about 37.5 psi, but here is the time slip:

60' 1.755
330' 4.435
1/8th 6.469
MPH 120.54
1000 8.198

1/4 9.651
MPH 154.16

[youtube]dSTJozf3y_Q[/youtube]

‪Pushit2.0 Galant VR4 Run at BIR‬‏ - YouTube

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The log looked good, no knock retard, good clean shifts, there was more in it at the line, the track was still gripping hard, so back to it to try again.

The 3rd run we upped the boost again, we were looking for around 40psi, we lowered the tire pressure to 24psi and I was going to up my slip launch to 7000rpm.

But the oil filter vibrated loose in the burn out box, the track offical was walking up to my door to tell me not to run it was leaking oil, I was like WTF hit the PUSH OFF button and kill the car if its leaking oil all over the track.

Well I launched with the guy at my door I guess and it went straight to revlimiter, so I shifting into 2nd thinking I would just drive slow the rest of the track and then the oil light and the oil pressure gauge showed the worst. I shut everything off and found the puddle of oil on the ground.

At first I was debating just heading home but thanks to Chris I stayed the night and had a great time.

Then in the AM I pulled the oil filter off and put the oring back in place and put the filter back on tight. filled the motor with the 2 quarts I had and 3 from Chris, again thanks.

The car was running good, no bad motor noise. It was cooler out side this morning and it did rain at some point. So I figured traction would be a little less then yesterday.

I made it up to the line and slip launched from 7000rpm, the car spun but was moving forward good, hit 2nd and it just took off. The log later showed the car made every bit of 41psi, air temps were around 100deg because I did not have ice in the heat exchanger, no knock retard, I hit every gear around 9800rpm and it felt like a great pass.

:EDIT: before the date 11-20-2011 :EDIT: The end result is the fastest and quickest Galant VR4 in the world, that I know of right now anyways.

update: Some guy with an Auto GVR4 ran a 9.34@146mph, so I still have the MPH but need my 60' a lot better to start driving down the ET.

60' 1.745
330' 4.318
1/8th 6.305
MPH 122.42
1000 8.021

1/4 9.457
MPH 156.94

[youtube]pHyu1h6xs9Y&hd=1[/youtube]

[youtube]MLS0OoyPU7g[/youtube]

[youtube]pJuieuVoiT4&NR[/youtube]

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So if I had the track temp of yesterday and the air temp/boost of the run this morning it could have run quicker, but I was happy both days.

And a first for the car going to the track in the last 2 years, I drove in onto and off the trailer back into my garage when I got home, such a good feeling.

We did have a Gopro in the front window for this run, that should be fun to watch later, and Thanks Mark for getting the great HD video at the line.

I would also like to Thank EVERYONE that helped make the car what it is today. Just to name a fewin no specific order: Ryan, Kyle, Alison, Shane at DB, CP pistons, Carrillo rods, Karl Ramm
KRAMM-LOX, Chuck from HTM, Paul, Dukes, Jacks trans, MAP, Monster, Budlight, plasma cutters, and every one else I can not think of off the top of my head.

I will update with pics as I get them off my camera, and I will edit in links to the videos as they show up on the face tubes.

~John

Last edited:
Thanks, this is the fastest and quickest Galant VR4, in the world. For now, I hope someone steps up and takes the #1 slot back. Then I would have a reason to go back to track.

~John

Very nice man congrats!

I'll sell it to you cheep. And yes we are working on the 60', the car likes to break stuff at the track, or due to weather conditions etc. If I have gone to the track in the last 2 years I either get 2 or 3 runs. I have only broken the tranny 1 time. So with a few more times at the track and a few more launches in a row I think the 60' could with a perfect track get a high 1.5 60'. That puts the car in that low 9 second range. Then if I could keep the head on the block and run some more boost I could run a high 8. Then I need a Dog box, M and W ignition, full slicks or QTP's, drive shaft shop everything and set up my 2 step to try for the mid 8's.

~John

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back