The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lets get it clear. What are the stock block record rules.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TofastForU_99

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
UPDATED

THESE ARE THE RULES FOR ALL STOCK BLOCK RECORD ATTEMPTS 6 OR 7 BOLT!
OEM uncut crank
OEM std size pistons
OEM piston rings
OEM rods
OEM main bolts
OEM rod bolts
OEM oil pump
OEM oil pan
BSE optional

Dont get me wrong I do not feel that I am titled to make these rules, these are just what everyone has agreed on and is what the current record holder has.

Last edited:
I totally agree. Because any oversizing would take it away from STOCK because it did not come from the factory that way. Some pretty solid rules as to what it can be to be considered stock block. Gj Allen.

I agree except I don't feel that boring the block over (Do you guys even realize how small 20 thousandth's of an inch is) should be excluded. I mean, it's hard enough to find a 6 bolt block, let a lone one that is good enough shape to just be honed and put back together. Everything else I agree with...

I believe everyone thats claimed the stock block records so far have been using arp hardware. So does that exclude basically everyone?

I never liked the stock block records, too many if's.

Sounds all good to me and what I would expect if there was a "official rule book." On a side note what about Smim, N20 Etc?

This is just talking about the internals. As far as bolt ons go have at it.

I agree except I don't feel that boring the block over (Do you guys even realize how small 20 thousandth's of an inch is) should be excluded. I mean, it's hard enough to find a 6 bolt block, let a lone one that is good enough shape to just be honed and put back together. Everything else I agree with...

Yes I know what 20 thousandth is. There has to be some sort of difficulty of the stock block record, thats why stock bore should only be allowed.

You should also Keep the bolt on's to a stock type i.e. evo manifold,stock type turbos, stock intake manifolds becuase if it's just limited to stock internals than anybody can slap a HUGE A$$ turbo with a big shot of nitrous just so it only has to hold for one good pass and than it puts the stock record out of reach for everybody else. I don't want to copy what the muscle car guy's are doing but the have races called S.T.O.C.K drags, they only allow stock ype cars and stock parts to be ran NO AFTERMARKET parts. This is just my two cent's

becuase if it's just limited to stock internals than anybody can slap a HUGE A$$ turbo with a big shot of nitrous just so it only has to hold for one good pass and than it puts the stock record out of reach for everybody else.

Glad to know it's that easy.ROFL

By the way, passes have to have a back up run, for any record, in any class.

You should also Keep the bolt on's to a stock type i.e. evo manifold,stock type turbos, stock intake manifolds becuase if it's just limited to stock internals than anybody can slap a HUGE A$$ turbo with a big shot of nitrous just so it only has to hold for one good pass and than it puts the stock record out of reach for everybody else. I don't want to copy what the muscle car guy's are doing but the have races called S.T.O.C.K drags, they only allow stock ype cars and stock parts to be ran NO AFTERMARKET parts. This is just my two cent's

That is a whole different category. You should look at the car that holds the record now.. BIG A$$ turbo LOL.. there can be many different categories.
Stock block/stock head record. Stock block/stock head/stock turbo record. all stock car record, and so on.

I agree. Back when I raced Moto-X we weren't allowed to go .020" over, because it is an increase in displacement and does give a slight advantage.

OK OK , No problem, i got it it's cool I was just saying that's all. No need to trip

Not tripping on you :thumb: .. Glad that everyone is voicing an opinion this is why I made this thread to get it all cleared up.

Once these rules are set I will contact a couple MODS. and Ludachris and see if we can get some kind of rule book going and a sticky on the rules.

Last edited:
I agree. Back when I raced Moto-X we weren't allowed to go .020" over, because it is an increase in displacement and does give a slight advantage.
Not sure how long ago you competed, but the maximum allowable overbore in order to stay within a displacement class at an AMA-sanctioned event was .080".

Thanks TOFASTOFRU , This is something that is really cool!! I'd love to see what fellow DSM'ers will come up with to set those records!

Not tripping on you :thumb: .. Glad that everyone is voicing an opinion this is why I made this thread to get it all cleared up.

Once these rules are set I will contact a couple MODS. and Ludichris and see if we can get some kind of rule book going and a sticky on the rules.

How about 7 bolt pistons on 6 bolt rods? Are these ok to be considered stock I know they are stock parts but not native to the engine (IE 6 bolt block.)... Just trying to be clear and ask any questions I can think of...

Hello everyone this is Allen @ SIM Racing.

Well I think it is time that we get the rules figured out for any STOCK block records.

It seems that a lot of people are going after this. I believe it is only fair that as a group we come up with a set of rules that will determine what you can and cannot do to the shortblock, if you are attempting to break the stock block record.

This is for any 6 bolt or 7 bolt.

What I think stock block means

OEM uncut crank
OEM rods
Oem std size Pistons
OEM Piston rings
OEM Main Studs
any brand rod/main bearings
any brand head studs
BSE kit optional
OEM oil pump
OEM oil pan
Can be rebuilt using new OEM parts only keeping all std sizing.

as far as any other tricks have at it.

I also believe it is only fair that if you break the stock block record, you have to provide some sort of proof of what is inside the block.

Let me know what you all think.

I agree, except I think nuts and bolt should be allowed in the rules. ARP anything if you choose. To me, a stock block is using the stock parts in which they are made. Does anyone know of any other form of motorsport where they make you use the stock bolts? I guess the next thing we try to classify is weight?

The crank can be cut. It doesn't give any advantage.
Boring ,020 gives you a 23cc advantage, which is 1.1%. At 600hp that's 6hp. The difference between dyno's is greater than that. And To 99% of the people that wont matter.
.040 gives you a 47cc advantage.

That's 1.997L stock. 2.020L. 2.044L

Last edited by a moderator:
Some don't realize that the stock rod bolts are the first weakest link in the block. Now is this ok to add these? The proper way to install them is to have them torqued then machined to get the clearances back to spec. With the right bolts the block is very strong. A 1g big rod block can easy push 400-450 without puking guts. There's guys that have made more but it riding a fine line.

Some don't realize that the stock rod bolts are the first weakest link in the block. Now is this ok to add these? The proper way to install them is to have them torqued then machined to get the clearances back to spec. With the right bolts the block is very strong. A 1g big rod block can easy push 400-450 without puking guts. There's guys that have made more but it riding a fine line.

its in the AIr on rod bolts and mains. Because once you start modifying a stock part that opens up a bunch of other windows like Coating the pistons. Maybe even somehow hardening the rods?

How about 7 bolt pistons on 6 bolt rods? Are these ok to be considered stock I know they are stock parts but not native to the engine (IE 6 bolt block.)... Just trying to be clear and ask any questions I can think of...

Even tho those are stock parts they have to stay in the block they came out of. 7 bolt parts only in a 7 bolt block and same with 6 bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how long ago you competed, but the maximum allowable overbore in order to stay within a displacement class at an AMA-sanctioned event was .080".

Way too long ago LOL. I imagine things have changed a fair bit, plus I was racing a circuit in the Midwest, I cannot remember if it had any affiliations with AMA or any other major association, I was pretty young and my back injury put me out racing my first year on a 125cc. :p back when everyone thought 4-strokes were a joke, man times have changed.

What I think stock block means

<s>OEM uncut crank</s> Why? This would give no significant advantage unless it were lightened. Just turning to accept undersize bearings would be potentially disadvantageous because you would risking breaking the crank.
OEM rods
OEM std size Pistons NPR? Other similar non forged stock CR pistons.
OEM Piston rings
OEM Main Studs
any brand rod/main bearings
any brand head studs
BSE kit optional
OEM oil pump
<s>OEM oil pan</s> Why not oem replacement? They are cheaper generally.

Some of the things on that list I don't really understand as they are not gonna change your power output or give you an advantage over the original block.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back