The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 - Used Oil Analysis - UOA

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knochgoon24

DSM Wiseman
Jan 29, 2008
Troy, Michigan
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The metal content is a little high, but with all the work I've done recently, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. We'll see how well it's still protecting when I change my oil again in another 5,000 miles.

Just figured I'd post this for those interested in this oil.

The great thing: There's 5,000 miles on this oil and the TBN is still 3.1.

I haven't killed another (yet). I went 5k on the oil change after that turbo, then 5k on this one. I'm not driving quite as much as I used to per year. Plus, this oil seems to be holding up pretty well, as shown by the TBN.

I hope the one member on here finishes the VGT control stuff before I go looking for another turbo. I'd love to see how well a VGT turbo would work for autox.

Definitely the highest zinc content of any oil you can buy at most WalMarts (Rotella or Mobil1 5W40). LOL

From what I'm seeing, high zinc is required for durability with larger journal bearing turbos featuring steel thrust plates when used at a high boost level. The zinc has to be better for the shaft and journal bearings as well.

Considering a Small 16G spins 10,000-20,000 RPMs faster than a Big 16G in order to generate the same airflow, the more protection the better!

Nice results i knew this oil was good im using it now in my 1g but its spring out here i was thinkin to switch to 10w for summer anyway how much power are u making? my car has moderate mods stock 6bolt with arp bolts and cometic headgasket seein 22-24psi big 16g you guys think i can use t6 5w-40 yr round? My motor is rebuilt with around 33k miles on it. Everyone out here is giving me the big no no even the dsmers out here for me running 5w-40 they all tell me 10w 15w or even 20w :/

I'm really considering runing this oil in my car, any updates since your last test? Is this oil good for year round performance?

Sorry, but the last sample I took got smashed before I sent it out. I am due for another oil change next month. I'm still DDing my car, haven't turned the boost down, and I just checked shaft play last week while doing a boost last week, and it's still holding up.

Also, the car started fine when it was -3°F here last week. I'm sure the oil itself wasn't quite that cold yet, but it had no problems starting.

How do you like this oil on hot summer days? I know it is a good oil for low temperatures but how good is it on hot weather? There is only one weight for this oil which is 5w-40. There isn't a 10w version of it.
I've been thinking about switching from royal purple to this oil. Nothing wrong about RP. It's a great oil and always treated my engine great! But if there is a much less expensive oil that is as good if not better than what I currently use, then why not switch?

I ran it in the summer with 100°F+ heat and the car is still running. If I were racing the car in the heat, maybe I'd look at a bit heavier oil, but for DDing, it seemed to do it's job.

The 5 weight when "cold" is still thicker than the 40 weight when warm. I'll see if I can pull up a graph I have of the viscosity vs temp here tonight on my home computer.

I think I'll give this oil a try and let you know how it goes. Now would switching from my 10w30 to 5w40 give me higher oil pressure at operating temperature?

First off I no longer have my 2g talon but I now have a mazdaspeed 6. Since joining one of the mazdaspeed forums I have read tons of good things about this oil and is highly recommended to switch to it. I've seen a few oil samples where they have ran 5k plus on this oil and it still comes back better then mobil1, pennzoil, etc. Obviously the the 4g63 is completely different then the MZR.

From what I know from other platforms, ALOT of people who work on the STI and Legacy GT motors use shell rotella and it works perfectly fine with 600hp applications, most likely more but this is just from experience through it.

-Armin

So I should have been a little more clear on this. I've notice a pressure increase at the oil filter housing. I haven't measured the oil pressure at the head to see if the difference in pressure is as large there or now. With my new turbo, I'll have two different oil pressure sensors that I can move around if I want.

Ducati specs this oil for all of their superbike models (and for good reason :) ) The desmodramic valvetrain is very demanding as in terms of lubrication

Even though I've been switching between Rotella and Amsoil in mine, both seem to be yielding the same wear intervals as far as the valve adjustments are concerned. Starts making the same god awful racket around every 5,000 miles.

Edit: it's actually Shell Advance; not sure if it's available in the US

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back