The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Keeping Fog Lights With VR Speed Factory FMIC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DashLaflash

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Millbury, Massachusetts
Has anybody found a way to keep the 2gb Eclipse fog lights with the VR Speed Factory FMIC? I'm fine with making custom brackets as long as there is enough room to physically fit the foglights in there with the intercooler in place. I've never seen the 97-99 foglights in person so I really have no idea how this would work, and I don't want to waste my money. Also I don't really want Wal-Mart fog lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mount the core about an inch lower and you'll have enough room to work with a set of custom mounts.

I've only personally seen 3 people go through the effort to actually make mounts for the fogs.

Most people intend on setting up the fogs after the kit is installed but that idea usually goes out the window once they get their first glimpse of the huge intercooler core smiling at them. :)

Huge FMIC > ineffective fogs

Mount the core about an inch lower and you'll have enough room to work with a set of custom mounts.

I've only personally seen 3 people go through the effort to actually make mounts for the fogs.

Most people intend on setting up the fogs after the kit is installed but that idea usually goes out the window once they get their first glimpse of the huge intercooler core smiling at them. :)

Huge FMIC > ineffective fogs

Would you guys ever consider making some custom mounting brackets to use the fog lights with your core? It would definately be helpful and there are a lot of people that would like to keep the foglights with the FMIC. I ordered a set of used fog lights for cheap and I'm going to start experimenting with them after they get here.

VRSF with OEM fog lights :D sorry for the crappy picture. I just took it right now with my phone and its pitch black out there LOL.

Just have to figure out the reason as to why they wouldn't turn on once I turned on my headlights :ohdamn: :cry:

Attachments

• 09242110.jpeg
    09242110.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,671
Very nice! You're one of the select few who have pulled this off :)

Yup :rocks: the only issue im having now is that they won't turn on LOL. I've checked the fuse and its all good I even thought I didn't have button for the fog lights pushed in but that wasn't the case either.

I have to yet check the bulbs cus it either that or Im not getting any ground to them since the temporary braket is made up of tape and plastic LOL.

It's actually a little lower, not higher ;)

The main issue is the driver side inlet on the core itself, that gets in the way of the fog. Mount it a bit lower and make a custom bracket & you have a set of fogs. Just did an install a few weeks back on a 2g and we were able to keep the fogs :)

Just for clarity, you mean that when you mount the core a little lower you are now able to re-mount your fogs with custom mounts? Or do you mean that by mounting the core a little lower you now have clearance for the stock fogs and mounts?

I finally got around to attempting this and I have bad news. I see no way of fitting the driver side foglight without cutting off the FMIC mounting tab and moving it up a couple inches. I did quite a bit of cutting to the foglight housing and there is just no more material to take off without ruining the foglight completely. Dsmtun3r98gst how the hell did you fit that foglight in there??? On the bright side I did get the passenger side foglight to work by modifying the stock bracket.

Mangina, couldn't you guys sell this kit with the FMIC mounting tabs welded a little higher up on the endtanks. It seems like this would solve all of our problems.

Attachments

• 100_2630.jpg
    100_2630.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 372
  • 100_2628.jpg
    100_2628.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 326
  • 100_2627.jpg
    100_2627.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 347
  • 100_2625.jpg
    100_2625.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 374
  • 100_2623.jpg
    100_2623.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 325
  • 100_2622.jpg
    100_2622.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_2621.jpg
    100_2621.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 365
Very nice work! However, I would use some rtv to seal up where you cut out the metal to "waterproof" the fog.

We could move the bracket up but it would require the customer to drill/tap new holes for the mounting tab :(

I'm talking about widening the gap between the mounting tab and that 90 degree bend that is in the way. You would still use the same foglight mounting bolt which would shift the entire intercooler core lower. I'm not sure if the couplers are flexible enough for this. I think they are though because you said people have moved to core lower to fit foglights in there.

Attachments

• VR Speed FMIC modification.jpg
    VR Speed FMIC modification.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 363
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back