The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

My New "Stock/Stealth" looking Muffler

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMSpyder99

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 7, 2003
ThE VaLLeY, California
I had my Thermal R&D for over 5 years. It sounded great but i guess i started to outgrow the big fartcan stage. I got tired of the constant droning on the freeway, the loud & lumpy (due to cams) cold start ups, the attention it attracted from cops, and people trying to race me.
I was telling my girlfriend I was getting tired of the big fartcan and for Christmas she got me a Vibrant Stealth Muffler :rocks: I just got it installed today at the local muffler shop. The new muffler has a 3" inlet and a 3" tip, it is much quieter than my old Thermal R&D... to be more specific during idle it has toned down a little but its while cruising at freeway speed and stop and go traffic that it really shines.

**On the way to the muffler shop, I actually got pulled over from my exhaust being too loud. The cop was cool and I told him i was actually on my way to put a new muffler on and didn't give me a ticket. You can not ask for a better example of IRONY! ROFL **

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4,282
  • IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 4,276
  • IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4,240
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 4,342
along with a DNP SS exhaust manifold, SS atmospheric dump o2 sensor housing, Buschur racing 2.5 inch SS downpipe, SS hiflo cat with SS gaskets and all SS hardware including exhaust manifold studs. I used to get hassled about it by the cops but to be honest my car attracted alot more attention from the cops when it was slammed, lowered than it does now reverted back to stock heighth. I'm running stock springs with polyurethane upper bushings, toikiko Illumina adjustable struts with strut tower braces front and rear. I think that relatively speaking the TR catback exhaust is one of the quietest DSM exhausts out there and I wouldn't trade it. I love how the exhaust note changed slightly when I installed the DNP SS exhaust manifold. And to be honest If I do step hard into the go pedal you can't hear the exhaust over the atmopheric dump with the FP Big T28 wastegate actuator set at 17psi. But I do recognize what you have done going stealth and I can appreciate it. It's sneaky! I dig it! I'd be surprised if it is actually any quieter than the TR catback.

Magnaflow has a "stock" muffler on eBay for $82 I believe. Its a 3" inlet, and two 2.5" outlets. Its great cause it sounds great with a low rumble when cruising, and its nice if you live in places with strict exhaust fines, cause it looks stock :D

Man, I've had a thermal for at least 8 years and I'm so sick of it I've been racking my brain on what I'm going to do this summer to quiet it down. I was planning on sticking a 3 or 4'' flowmaster where the cat should be, but looking at your muffler and the fact that it might be relatively quieter, I'll be waiting on the sound clip to make my decision now :) . Nice clean install too, makes it look like a GS with only one tip ;)

Wow, I never noticed the Thermal was such a huge fartcan. Whys it need to be so damn big?

So, what your saying is, that this isn't stealthy enough?

I swear officer, its my intake!

Oh BTW, this setup is going on my street car next season. :D

Attachments

• side-1.jpg
    side-1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 4,462
Com'on Danny, Thermal kicks ass.

Sooo, we should see this in the Classifieds soon? :tease:

So, what your saying is, that this isn't stealthy enough?

I swear officer, its my intake!

Oh BTW, this setup is going on my street car next season. :D

I love that with the exhaust and dump out the side of the bumper. Problem is most states you could not pass emission or safety inspection.:notgood:

I think I'm going to go the same route next year. Straight out the driver side fender. Who's car is that by the way? Super clean! Killer! Super efficient setup. Dane county in Madison WI rocks for not having emissions!

I wish we here in Los Angeles, California can run the exhaust out to the side like that, but you wouldn't be able to make it 1 block without getting infested by police officers getting you for all sorts of violations.

Great Looking Car and awesome idea.

^^^ I think my "all stock" exhaust was taken off my car, I have this stupid thing hanging out near the rear bumper. Now that black car has the kind of stock exhaust I want and need :thumb:

For those waiting for the sound clip, its gonna take me a little longer. My bracket on my FMIC pulled off the screw that held it. I am currently JB Welding the bracket to the FMIC, since it will hold it better than 1 screw. I will have the vid up next few days.

Any chance for a sound clip? I am looking to replace my Thernal as well for something more low key and "stockish".

How much did it cost from the "local exhaust shop" just to cut the thermal muffler and weld the new one?

Actually i got a whole new Axel-Back made. Of course, it is 3" Mandrel Bent piping for $75 (steel painted flat back). I did this because I want the option to put back on the Thermal if I ever feel like making my car louder again. :D

I don't know how much it would cost to swap, mufflers. Honestly, i dont think it is possible the Thermal muffler is angled differently from the Vibrant.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back