The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lancer Evolution III Intake Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMunknown

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Worcester, Massachusetts
After about five friggin months of some serious searching, I have finally tracked one down.

Please, hold the applause. ;)

72008-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-e3im003.jpg

72009-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-e3im007.jpg

72010-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-e3im010.jpg

72011-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-e3im011.jpg

72011-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-e3im014.jpg

72011-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-e3im015.jpg

72011-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-e3im017.jpg

72011-lancer-evolution-iii-intake-manifold-e3im021.jpg

It was a long time coming. With a little luck (actually, a lot of luck), I finally found someone who had one and was willing to sell it. For those of you who are wondering, I spent 150 bucks on this piece. Granted, the old 1G IMs go for around $40, but knowing how rare it is to hold this IM in your hands, I considered this a deal.

For most 2G people who are looking to upgrade their IM without resorting to an expensive SMIM, I think you will be more than happy with the 1G IM. Again, I got lucky. It took me quite a lot of time and effort to track one of these biatches down. And no, I'm not willing to sell it. Not for any reasonable amount of money. Ask me four years from now if I am willing to sell it. Maybe I'll consider it then.

"So why go through all this trouble?", you ask. Well, there is an emphasis on volumetric efficiency when modifying engines. It seems quite obvious to me that if I plan on installing an Evo III 16G turbocharger and an Evo III exhaust manifold and an Evo III O2 housing, one logical conclusion would be that I would need an intake manifold to match. Thus my long search.

Some may say what I did was completely ridiculous, and a waste of time/money/effort. Maybe so. But I will stick with my theory of keeping likes with likes. No, I don't have any hard numbers to support my statements, nor will I for some time. This IM will be sitting around for a long time, but at least I know I will have it at my disposal.

Here are some more photos for you. Enjoy. :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I was thinking about buying an old 1G IM (to take some comparison pictures), but then I would have two IMs just sitting around collecting dust. (Hey Ludachris, yours looks nice. ;)) Plus, the funds aren't there right now. But perhaps in the future.

Maybe if I can find a local DSMer who will let me borrow his to take some photos then I will do that. Or if someone wants to send me their 1G IM then I could take a few comparison shots. I'll have to see what transpires.

Sorry for the bad photos. With this camera I bought off eBay, I practically have to take a picture of the sun for the damn thing to capture an image. But I hope you like anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Anthony :thumb:. Good point about matching the EVOIII intake and exhaust manifold, turbo, etc. I'm sure that when the Mitsubishi engineers designed them they did so within the model of the entire system working well together.

Therefore I think you should sell it to me!:p

romeen said:
Nice Anthony :thumb:. Good point about matching the EVOIII intake and exhaust manifold, turbo, etc. I'm sure that when the Mitsubishi engineers designed them they did so within the model of the entire system working well together.

I wouldn't completely disagree. However, that is what the aftermarket performance community (in its entirety) strives to do. For example, look at the 1G TB elbow - that thing is a disgrace. It is just a very poor design and an extreme misapplication for the rest of the engine IMHO. There is also the issue of "de-tuning" an engine to adhere to certain governmental standards (we see this when comparing certain Lancer Evolutions found in Japan to those found in the US). I think you see my overarching point though.

Therefore I think you should sell it to me!:p

I was reconsidering what I said earlier about the circumstances under which I would sell this rare part. Perhaps if someone offered me a free full three inch turbo-back exhaust system of my choosing, along with a rebuilt Stage-2 Shepherd transmission (including all the goodies and shipping), I think I would have to consider selling it. :cool:

nice find. everytime i see someone selling parts off an evo3 i can try to find the manifold...and always with no luck. my tuner swears by the evo3, and i've seen the dyno results. good stuff!

unlmtdndeavor said:
nice find. everytime i see someone selling parts off an evo3 i can try to find the manifold...and always with no luck. my tuner swears by the evo3, and i've seen the dyno results. good stuff!

Your what?

EDIT: I see what you mean. The person who "tunes" your ride. Gotcha.

Is that what I have? (sorry for the circles, picture was used for other things)

B-Man said:
Is that what I have? (sorry for the circles, picture was used for other things)

That's what it looks like to me. Lucky for you. :thumb: I would need to see a couple more angles of your IM just to be sure.

Killa_dsm said:
Nice, let use know how it performs after you get it installed. If I would have know ppl are looking for evo3 manifolds I could have my dad bring some over when he comes over. They are a dime a dozen there.

I honestly think you could make a fortune from selling this IM in the States. I would have him grab as many has he can carry, and then some.

And to think, I bought the car with that. I'll try and take some more picture when I get around to it, but seriously 150$, I may just sell it since it sounds like the don't work well unless you have ported heads, which I don't and aren't really planning to within the next couple years.

It looks like a stock 2g mani to me, but i dont know 2g's. What makes it so much better???

I believe the plenum is larger internally compared to the 2g but I think the biggest difference is the runners are a good amount shorter then the 2g & 1g as well. The TB opening is also much larger then the 2g probably more like the 1g opening. You do have to lose the MDP & no EGR with it.

Which brings me to my question, I may have a source for one of these & I was just wondering about the losss of the EGR & MDP sensor. I have Dsmlink so the CEL shouldn't be an issue but I do have NOx emission testing here, I was wondering if the lack of the EGR made a big difference in this area? Also they say there is a loss in fuel economy, is this a huge difference? (not that Im really concerned with fuel economy ;) ) What all does the MDP do on a 2g? I've read its just used when the car goes into limp mode, if the MAF is unplugged.

No loss in fuel economy if tuned to compensate correctly. EGR lowers internal temps, so if you remove that, more likely to get knock (or by my understanding). You can still use the MDP by attaching it to any vacuum source. I would keep it if they do any sort of emissions testing.

kambonate said:
i actually know where one is. OBTW do u have any pictures of it already bolted up? i wanna see how u do it.

Ask GreddyGst for some photos. He has this IM installed in his 2G. No, he doesn't have it in his modification list, but he does have it installed (unless he took it off during his FWD-to-AWD conversion). Here is a photo I found in his gallery.

B-Man said:
And to think, I bought the car with that. I'll try and take some more picture when I get around to it, but seriously 150$, I may just sell it since it sounds like the don't work well unless you have ported heads, which I don't and aren't really planning to within the next couple years.

I think you can easily find people who would pay in the realm of 200-350 with this IM. Maybe even more if they are dead set on getting one of these (like myself).

JayRolla said:
It looks like a stock 2g mani to me, but i dont know 2g's. What makes it so much better???

Here is a link that shows a 2G IM. One of the most obvious ways to tell a 2G IM from a Evo III IM is to look for the IDP sensor mount (see above link). Yes, there are other differences, but that is one of the more obvious ones.

Here are another two photos of what uninstalled 2G IMs look like:

And here is a photo that I found in the Classifieds section of a 1G IM. You can clearly see that the 1G IM runners are notably longer than the Evo III IM runners:

Holy crap! I found one that's on sale right now on eBay (including the Evo III TB OMG)!!!! Daren, here's your chance! Scoop this one up! (I thought you said you were keeping a close eye on the eBay world. Fibber. :p)

Here is another one I found. The pictures are a bit hazy, but it looks like the same IM I have.

Whats up dsmunknown that is not a 2g because you dont have the mdp, but it looks flat on top which is not the evo 3. If your plenum is round i would assume its the evo. I also have had one of these installed for a few months works great, feels like i have more top end , but cant be sure on benefits untill i dyno. I payed 50 for mine iguess i lucked out.

bob123131 said:
Whats up dsmunknown that is not a 2g because you dont have the mdp, but it looks flat on top which is not the evo 3. If your plenum is round i would assume its the evo. I also have had one of these installed for a few months works great, feels like i have more top end , but cant be sure on benefits untill i dyno. I payed 50 for mine iguess i lucked out.

You need to clarify what you're refering to. Are you refering to one of the links I gave?

Ok there are mostly talk about this IM on a 2g here..but would it be a upgrade for the 1g as well and how would it match the head of a 1g?Does the 1G stock head need porting to match up or?
I can get those manifolds here no problem but will it make any difference on a 1G ( 91 tsi). Will it be a bolt on affair as far as sensors and all are invilved or what? Would it be worth it at all to try to put it on?

EuroGSTSpyder said:
Ok there are mostly talk about this IM on a 2g here..but would it be a upgrade for the 1g as well and how would it match the head of a 1g?Does the 1G stock head need porting to match up or?
I can get those manifolds here no problem but will it make any difference on a 1G ( 91 tsi). Will it be a bolt on affair as far as sensors and all are invilved or what? Would it be worth it at all to try to put it on?

First of all, you need to read a bit more carefully. As we have already said, there is no EGR mount on this particular IM. Thus, you will have to mount the EGR somewhere else, or remove it entirely (the lines and all). There may be a few lines which are slightly different, but only someone with a 1G (or experience with a 1G) could tell you for sure.

Look at this link and compare it to a few of the photos I posted up. I would need someone who has access to the measurements of the 1G unported manifold runner outlets or who can measure them for us. They do look similar, but I am hesitant to say they are exactly the same. Perhaps they are, but I wouldn't give you a definite answer without someone confirming the runner sizes are the same.

Regarding performance - yes, this IM should perform better than a 1G IM because it has shorter runners (thus theoretically giving you more top-end power). I don't know how the Evo III IM plenum relates to the 1G IM plenum. They may be similar; I'm not sure.

In addition - if you can easily get your hands on one of these IMs, then do so. However, as I have already said, if it is going to be a long ordeal trying to get one of these things, it probably isn't worth it for most 2G owners.

daren_p said:
I believe the plenum is larger internally compared to the 2g but I think the biggest difference is the runners are a good amount shorter then the 2g & 1g as well. The TB opening is also much larger then the 2g probably more like the 1g opening. You do have to lose the MDP & no EGR with it.

Which brings me to my question, I may have a source for one of these & I was just wondering about the losss of the EGR & MDP sensor. I have Dsmlink so the CEL shouldn't be an issue but I do have NOx emission testing here, I was wondering if the lack of the EGR made a big difference in this area? Also they say there is a loss in fuel economy, is this a huge difference? (not that Im really concerned with fuel economy ;) ) What all does the MDP do on a 2g? I've read its just used when the car goes into limp mode, if the MAF is unplugged.

Daren, I suppose you could either [1] drill a hole yourself and make a cheap bracket to hold the MDP sensor on or [2] take it to a trusted local shop and have them make a hole and a place to screw on the two bolts that hold the MDP sensor on.

Also, would a high quality catalytic converter help subside any unwanted NOx symptoms?

I've seen that you can hook the MDP straight to a vacuum source (like the TB) and just set it somewhere secure and that it doesn't need to be in the manifold. i haven't tried it personally, but I saw pictures of it somewhere.

B-Man said:
I've seen that you can hook the MDP straight to a vacuum source (like the TB) and just set it somewhere secure and that it doesn't need to be in the manifold. i haven't tried it personally, but I saw pictures of it somewhere.

I was also thinking about this. But what vacuum connection would have to be sacrificed to make room for the MDP?

OK I see I missed that part on the EGR ..sorry.
I will see if I can get a IM from the EVO III and use to compare them to the 1g. I can easily do that I think cause I am swapping out alot of stuff on teh car anyways so taking the IM off wont be that much work anyways.

I do need to keep stock EGR functional since we have yearly emissions inpsetions here and the car need to pass those.

So the MDP part then...the 1g dont use that but a temp probe...Will this be afected? Where is that located? SOrry for the noob Q:s but I havent worked on the 1g before :-(

EDIT;: I just posted up on a EVO forum where I know alot of ppl and hopefully I will have one to borrow for measurment and all soon.

I'm sorry, Darren. I believe I'm responsible for losing you that Evo III IM. :( My sincerest apologies.

..........if anyone wants one I can get my hands on another one. I have one on my car, but I dont think I have a good picture of it. I painted mine black. However, your coil pack and ignitor dont fit like a stock 2g intake manifold does, also you lose your mdp and egr.

It has a 60mm throttle body opening, more cylindrical plenum and shorter runners, but remains in the same place that a stock 2g manifold does, so no cutting or fititng of your pipes. Everything but the coil pack and egr fit fine.

I picked mine up for 40 dollars from a local guy, but I do know someone who maybe has one or two, unfortunately he is a shop owner, but I can see how much he will let them go for.

Yup i have the same manifold,but mine is attached to a Full Evo Engine tranny, center diff and rear end out of aEvo III. Yup was hard to find but tha dam evo III tranny i sweet.

:)

I was also thinking about this. But what vacuum connection would have to be sacrificed to make room for the MDP?

Well, if you've got the evo3 mani, you're gonna have to remove the EGR. Just run a line from the TB :thumb:

Im actually the one that sold the manifold to Anthony. It does in fact have an EGR (or did). It's quite a bit different from anything USDM spec. I initially went to install a block off plate and to my realization it was completley different and I was able to use the bolt that held the EGR on to block it off after removing it. MDP is another story. As far as using it with the Link, you will have no problems. I had it hooked up and I didnt come across any. I guess this is my experience at least.

The EGR mounted completely different and it's really hard to explain. Maybe I can snap a few pics to give you guys an idea just incase you think im crazy ;p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back