The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G How I lowered my coolant temps 6 degrees!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnhieu

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2004
panama city, Florida
Alright here is the story, over winter I added a nice big FMIC and now since its summer my coolant temps are right about 203-209 while driving so I had to think of something to get more air to the radiator. Well I had stolen a street sign awhile back (shhh, don't tell anyone) which was a really good piece of sheet metal to make some ducting. My coolant temps are now at 196-199. here are my results...

enjoy

fmic1-bmp.63015

fmic2-bmp.63016

fmic3-bmp.63017

fmic5-bmp.63018

fmic6-bmp.63019

Attachments

• fmic1.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 7,027
  • fmic2.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 6,813
  • fmic3.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 6,676
  • fmic5.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 6,613
  • fmic6.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 6,559
Last edited by a moderator:
Very innovative; do you have any ducting on top of the IC? Alot of people miss this part when installing FMICs and wonder why they run alot warmer after they remove all of the factory ducting when installing their core. My summer cruising temps are 190-200*, and summer idle is around 195-210*, never going over 210*.

I didn't even know 1g's had ducting. If it did, mine didn't come with it. I might have to think of a way to install one of those too.

Now I just need to figure out why my coolant fans aren't able to keep it cool at idle, but this mod did help a lot with the cooling....

blackGSX2g said:
Very innovative; do you have any ducting on top of the IC? Alot of people miss this part when installing FMICs and wonder why they run alot warmer after they remove all of the factory ducting when installing their core. My summer cruising temps are 190-200*, and summer idle is around 195-210*, never going over 210*.

Do you have pictures or anything of yours like this, because when I installed my front mount I looked and the upper ducting didnt seem to work out and I cut the bottom off to use the lower ducting and that was a failure as well LOL My cruising temps or idle never go above the E on the temp gauge, so I figure I'm fine. My fan also doesn't run after I shut the car off anymore.

man my coolant temps can get up to like 230 degrees and it will still in the middle of the temp guage. im always logging coolant temps and i try to relate it to the guage. if the needle is in the center of the temp guage it can be anywere between 180-230 degrees...

dnhieu said:
man my coolant temps can get up to like 230 degrees and it will still in the middle of the temp guage. im always logging coolant temps and i try to relate it to the guage. if the needle is in the center of the temp guage it can be anywere between 180-230 degrees...
I have the same trouble. I run a SBRs street core and I seen temps around 230 degrees. I know this is to hot but I can't figure out why. The condenser is gone, I kept the stock fan, etc. Hopefully have it figured out by summer.

Any ideas to what your going to do, besides running another slim line fan?

ha I was actually thinking of doing something like this, good job!

Well I personally have 3 more options.

1. remove a/c
2. fluidyne radiator
3. change out water pump

I already have 2 slim line fans and 2 bottles of water wetter in the system. The ducting did help a bit to lower temps while cruising but it definetly didn't help at a stand still. I'm thinking for some reason my fans aren't getting a consistant 12v because its got 2 speeds. Do you guys have that problem?

hope that helps
david

ITSME4G63 said:
ha I was actually thinking of doing something like this, good job!

I plan on making a "how to" when I take it off to paint it black. :thumb: Another thing that is pretty cool is that you can't see it unless you really get under the car. I was laying flat on my stomach to get these pictures...

dnhieu said:

WHOOPSOMG I guess that is good to know, and now that I have a logger again (got stolen) I will be keeping an eye on the temps as well as trying to work on some sort of ducting.

I consistenty see 213-218 degrees coolant temps. I have a sbr tubular ex. manifold and huge fmic. I was thinking that wrapping the exhaust manifold and wastegate dump, o2 housing and down pipe would bring my temps down. I'll let you know how that goes after this weekend.

Would it be benificial to spray the coolant pipe with the high temp spray that keeps in heat? or even wrap it?

How many degrees timing retard do you see for coolant/intake temps?

Byrd said:
I consistenty see 213-218 degrees coolant temps. I have a sbr tubular ex. manifold and huge fmic. I was thinking that wrapping the exhaust manifold and wastegate dump, o2 housing and down pipe would bring my temps down. I'll let you know how that goes after this weekend.

Would it be benificial to spray the coolant pipe with the high temp spray that keeps in heat? or even wrap it?

How many degrees timing retard do you see for coolant/intake temps?

hey your on dsm-racing arent you? also i think thoes temps are really just TOO high even tho everyone locally tells me i dont really have to worry about anything till the logger says 235. i just wish it was winter all year around so i dont have to worry about this crap...

Back when my radiator fan died, one day I got stuck on the interstate and could not move and my coolant temps on the gauge were just a hair below the line on the hot side of the gauge. I didn't damage anything do you think?

alex99gst said:
WHOOPSOMG I guess that is good to know, and now that I have a logger again (got stolen) I will be keeping an eye on the temps as well as trying to work on some sort of ducting.

you should post some pictures how you made that intake ducting. im very curious on how you made that funnel thats on the side of your intercooler/ in the front of the car. i could probably lower my engine temps by lowering my engine bay temps and lower my intake temps by doing that and putting some washers on hood of the car to allow more hot air to escape from the engine bay (if that made any sence).

alex99gst said:
Back when my radiator fan died, one day I got stuck on the interstate and could not move and my coolant temps on the gauge were just a hair below the line on the hot side of the gauge. I didn't damage anything do you think?

i dunno but i bet your coolant temps where some where around 240-260 degrees and that would make me crap my pants if i seen that on my logger. if im in heavy traffic and see 230 i shut the car off and leave the cooling fans on to get the temps down....

Haha yea that's me, that forum is dead though. I try and post every now and then to keep it some what alive.

I'm about to go to a fluidyne, water wetter, and build some ducting if this beesh doesn't act right. I guess my exhaust leaks don't help out much either.

Are you worried about bottoming out and ripping that whole thing off along with your fmic possibly?

Byrd said:
Haha yea that's me, that forum is dead though. I try and post every now and then to keep it some what alive.

I'm about to go to a fluidyne, water wetter, and build some ducting if this beesh doesn't act right. I guess my exhaust leaks don't help out much either.

Are you worried about bottoming out and ripping that whole thing off along with your fmic possibly?

hahaha yeah im pretty good friends with them up there in montgomery because of my friends rob and matt k. the forum is dead because everyone is getting outta the game up there. sucks if you ask me because the dsm scene here in pc isnt that big.

and hell no i dont worry about scraping the plate. its up higher then the exhaust is. its only 7 1/2 inches from top to bottom and 2 inches of that is bent over the front cross member making it only 5 1/2 inches from the top of the cross memeber to the very bottom of the plate. it just basically takes the air that would normally go under the car and disturb it so some of it goes up inbetween the a/c condensor and fmic...

dnhieu said:
you should post some pictures how you made that intake ducting. im very curious on how you made that funnel thats on the side of your intercooler/ in the front of the car. i could probably lower my engine temps by lowering my engine bay temps and lower my intake temps by doing that and putting some washers on hood of the car to allow more hot air to escape from the engine bay (if that made any sence).

I will get some more pictures up of it sometime soon. I got it all at home depot for maybe $10 tops. Because my bumper cover had those two little support things, I took some paper and put it inside the opening and traced the outline of it. Took it to home depot and went to the sheet metal ducting place and they had that duct at nearly the perfect size. It had a 4" opening and I got some 4" flex tube to connect to it and ran it to the stock UICP hole (already enlarged from previous supra smic) and it fit perfectly. Sadly I don't have any logs comparing intake temps or anything, but one user who did another type of cold air intake setup lowered his knock count from 10+ to 1-2 counts just from his cai setup. This is $10 well spent.:thumb: Technically I could do the same thing on the other side and just have the piping open up to the radiator or something cool.

Cost me $25, lowered my temps by 50*! Maybe this is what you're looking for?

Disreguard my shitty filter

Let me know if you can't see these

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/Byrdman712/100_0792.jpg
MOD EDIT: Please resize pic or leave as a link.

and dnieu i know what your talking about. Lenny and James and JD have all helped on the car and given advice, it seems like they are still around but everyone else is moving on. Oh well.

damn thats awesome. when i get rid of gm maft and switch to gm maft im gonna do that. thats damn good work man....

also, do you get scared about rainy days? what happens if you suck up alot of water?

Byrd said:
How bout now?

I see them now, nice setup. At first I thought you meant you lowered your water temps by 50* ROFL The only reason I opted away from doing that was because of the issue with water and the MAFT, otherwise my intake would be there as well.:thumb:

alex99gst said:
I see them now, nice setup. At first I thought you meant you lowered your water temps by 50* ROFL The only reason I opted away from doing that was because of the issue with water and the MAFT, otherwise my intake would be there as well.:thumb:

yeah i can tell you personally that water on my gm maf sucks ass. i thought i hydo locked my motor once but the gm mass air sensor was just wet and once it dried it ran like a champ again...

dnhieu - thanks man. Did all the work myself. The small writeup on the parts needed is on dsm-racing (projects section). I can give you a full detail how-to when the time comes if you'd like. I was scared/paranoid about cutting the front bumper but i feel like it looks mean as hell and i did a good job. I noticed an awesome increase in flow. But that's a little off-topic.

As for hydrolocking the motor - I just got it installed so we would have to see haha But i'm not really worried about it. i don't plan on taking her swimming just yet.

alex99gst said:
Do you have pictures or anything of yours like this, because when I installed my front mount I looked and the upper ducting didnt seem to work out and I cut the bottom off to use the lower ducting and that was a failure as well LOL My cruising temps or idle never go above the E on the temp gauge, so I figure I'm fine. My fan also doesn't run after I shut the car off anymore.

I got rid of the stock ducting, but I made my own that went from the bumper opening to the IC core, directing it to the A/C condensor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back