The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

To Dump Or Not To Dump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsu725

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
DAVIE, Florida
Im thinking about doing an o2 dump, ne one else have this...?? Is it worth it or is it just a bunch of added noise??

I'll let you know as soon as I install mine.

Mitsu725 it's pretty pathetic that you have been a member for more than a year now, and couldn't do a search for that answer. Yes it is worth it, but may not fully eliminate creep, if the wastegate port of the turbine housing isn't ported enough it won't matter how high flowing the o2 housing is. It is alot of extra noise but only when the wastegate is open, so if you don't drive around flooring it everywhere it shouldn't be a problem.

I love my O2 dump. It's great seeing someone with their window down, then getting beside them and flooring it past them. The echo of the dump off of their car is earsplitting, so I can only imagine how loud it is to them. Yea, some of you may see this as childish, but when someon cuts me off, they get it in their ears.

if you car is daily driving, dont do it. i have it and i like it a lot :thumb:

mirkoelek said:
if you car is daily driving, dont do it. i have it and i like it a lot :thumb:

My car is daily driven, I am running 10psi, and I rarely hear it. If you don't have a heavy foot, it wont' affect you. If you do have a heavy foot, its still fun to have. Even if its a Daily Driver I'd still so it.

I have an o2 dump, man it gets some interesting looks when I decide to be an a$$!! :D People will be looking, waiting to see whats making that noise, before you even see them. I wouldnt be surprised if this thread gets closed, theres a few JUST like this one.

ok someone give me a opinion on this...i have the scm61 and it has the split turbine housing causing the "dump" noise at idle...not loud but it has the throaty noise at idle...im switching to hybrid connections pie cut 02 housing from sbr...but i was jus wondering if this will help performance since the pte turbine is split...therefore dumping all of the air out exhaust..lemme know....Garrett

I don't like the o2 dump on my car anymore, too loud and dirty, I'd rather have a nice tublar o2 housing or ported stock one.

Why you kids like to cover up the sweet sound of turbo spooling with dump noise is beyond me. There are no performance gains and you can easily solve boost creep without dumping. Another words, this o2 dump is just another rice mod like venting your BOV. I suggest either port out your own o2 housing or go with a tubular o2 that reroutes.

oldman said:
Why you kids like to cover up the sweet sound of turbo spooling with dump noise is beyond me. There are no performance gains and you can easily solve boost creep without dumping. Another words, this o2 dump is just another rice mod like venting your BOV. I suggest either port out your own o2 housing or go with a tubular o2 that reroutes.
A ricer mod... Now thats funny.
You think dumping to the atmos. is a ricer mod.... :boring:

Anyways,
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110397 is a link to a vfaq with information to what your asking.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36305&highlight=external+dump
Is a link to a long thread of replies to how loud it is.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19649&highlight=External+dump
Is what alot of people think about dumping.

But again... that's more "opinions" and in my personal opinion I loved dumping and it in my opinion improved boost creep and slightly throttle response. But this is coming from a person who hasn't had his 2g Turbo in probably 2 years...

:toobad:

Hammer_Gaidin said:
The only reason i can see for doing an atmos dump is if you have an ext wastegate. Otherwise I wouldn't do one...you dont gain anything.

You gain that totally loud wicked dump sound that rocks! Of course its not performance related unless you are "replacing a restrictive 1g o2 with a much bigger 2.5" one with the external dump." :)

I dump, and love it! You can still hear the turbo spooling too, I don't know what the other dude was talking about. Like everyone eles says, its only loud when you start getting into boost.

With an internal gate it's next to impossile to get the WG "puck" to seal 100% off boost (at least it was for me on (2) 14Bs and a 16G even preloading the WG arm). This leaves you with car that sounds like it has a big hole in the exhaust All The Time :cry:

Combine that with the WOT roar you get when the WG starts venting, and you've now effectively painted a giant "F--k you Coppers" on your car.

Dumping may give you a few HP (less if you have a low restriction exhaust), but IMO not worth it unless it's a track only car or you have a high tolerance for loud noise ;)

I too didnt like the idea of dumping, due to the fact that cops can already hear me a block away. Why should i let them hear me 3 blocks away? It sounds good, but doesnt provide an advantage great enough to offset going to court to pay summons......boost creep CAN be eliminated with a good port job.

Hmm, well, dumping is pointless as running a 3" catless, compared to running a 3" high-flow racing one, right? :confused: I have a 3" WITH a cat....i dont know emissions here, but I DONT wanna find out the hard way. My wastegate seals perfectly off-boost, it holds shut till i start boosting. Only time it opens with light throttle is highway driving.

Dump it! It helps with spool up, its loud and it sounds mean. Dont listen to these wussies who drive modded cars but think dumps are too "dirty"
A dump is too loud but a loud external gate is ok right? :rolleyes:

Dumping, or not, if you floor the car, the cops will notice. The whole, speeding + 3" exhaust thing seems to get attention from the fuzz all by itself, so rule out noise. It's a performance mod, so get it if you like. I have one and I love it. Sounds mean.

:talon:

put2gether said:
Dumping, or not, if you floor the car, the cops will notice

Then again driving a bright orange car with red flames and F&F body kit prol has nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

To each their own, but this 30-something year old would rather drive a fast car quietly and keep driving ;)

DSM90AWD said:
Then again driving a bright orange car with red flames and F&F body kit prol has nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

To each their own, but this 30-something year old would rather drive a fast car quietly and keep driving ;)
30 year old? I would have to argue that, you seem to immature to be 30. "Lets make fun of him, thatll make him sad!" :notgood:

Anyway, Dump it. I have had my dump for about 3 months...no problem with cops. It's called Don't floor it around cops...simple as that.

MyEclipse5 said:
30 year old? I would have to argue that, you seem to immature to be 30. "Lets make fun of him, thatll make him sad!" :notgood:

To re-word my comment, a pink elephant in a tutu will get noticed just as much without the tutu ;)

I've owned my DSM for 15 years, have tried the dump (VP) on several diff turbos including my current 50-trim and taking it off each time. If sharing my firsthand experience is immature then fine. At least I can spell, use correct punctuation and still run circles around your dumped O2-equipped car :D

Now to go pick on Newbies looking to vent their BOV :sneaky:

You think dumping to the atmos. is a ricer mod....
I most certainly do and that's just my oppinion, question is are you a ricer MOD? :p Just look at most of the respones on this thread, it's about the noise and the look on poeple's faces. You can easily get the same look on people's face by attaching a huge non-functional wing. :D The quicker spool and better throttle respones comes from the 2.5" tubular o2, not from the dump tube itself. In my "oppinion", people either dump for the noise factor or they were mislead into thinking a dump tube will solve their boost creep.

Dont listen to these wussies who drive modded cars but think dumps are too "dirty"
Thanks for the compliment. :rolleyes:

A dump is too loud but a loud external gate is ok right?
After a certain level of performance, an external wastegate becomes a necessity not to mention it sound much differently than an o2 dump. Can you provide a situation where a o2 dump is a necessity? BTW you can still reroute an external wastegate in case if you don't know.

but this 30-something year old would rather drive a fast car quietly and keep driving
Stop lying, you're almost 40. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back