The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Pro topline rebuild kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrousBob

15+ Year Contributor
May 24, 2004
Montesano, Washington
I am rebuilding an engine and was wondering if anyone has used the pro topline kit that mach v sells. Are the pistons as good as mitsubishi oem ones? Im shooting for a 350-400hp range. From what i have read here it seems in that range the mitsu pistons will be ok. or could someone recommend a set of pistons? This car will be driven daily so Im trying to stay away from forged so the cylinders will last without slap. but any suggestions would be helpful.

Should be alright provided you tune correctly. That is if the rods/pistons are like the oem ones. But 400 on a daily driven...I can't see that lasting a long time...not with stock engine.

I am in the same boat right now. I had some J/E pistons that took a dump on me so im trying to decide what to get next. I am considering some wiseco pistons. You should consider better than stock if it is going to be apart anyways. And forged pistons can be used on a daily driver with no problems...

Polk Performance is building my 2.3L with Eagle rods and JE pistons (8.5:1). My goal is the same as yours; 350-400whp daily driver.

I don't know how the stock rods/pistons would do at that power level everyday. I have never done it and won't give false advice. The Eagle rods and JEs are pretty inexpensive and are known to handle more than 400hp. That's why I chose them. Polk has used JEs for a long time and hasn't had any problems with them to my knowledge.

I don't know anything about the MachV kit. I'd recommend talking to them about it. MachV has been around for a long time, so their answers should be credible via experience.

Good luck man. Have fun!

Topline is LOWER than OEM standards, by a good bit. If you aren't going to break 500whp, go with an OEM 2g piston on a cleaned up 1g big rod. You will be fine. I know several people who have over 500whp on a stock 1g bottom end at over 100k miles. I went with a Ross/Eagle combo, as it turned out to only be ~$500 more expensive. If I could do it again I would get Wiseco pistons, however.

lambertvr4 said:
Polk Performance is building my 2.3L with Eagle rods and JE pistons (8.5:1). My goal is the same as yours; 350-400whp daily driver.

I don't know how the stock rods/pistons would do at that power level everyday. I have never done it and won't give false advice. The Eagle rods and JEs are pretty inexpensive and are known to handle more than 400hp. That's why I chose them. Polk has used JEs for a long time and hasn't had any problems with them to my knowledge.

I don't know anything about the MachV kit. I'd recommend talking to them about it. MachV has been around for a long time, so their answers should be credible via experience.

Good luck man. Have fun!
Why on EARTH did you go with JEs? I truly hope you don't expect to have a daily driver. They have the wrong silicone content for a DSM and expand FAR too much. Look for threads about them.

anomalyinva said:
Topline is LOWER than OEM standards, by a good bit.

Not doubting or arguing, but how? Material used, production process, lifespan, etc.? Lots of factors out there, so I'm wondering which you're referring to.

Top line sucks, I run only OEM gaskets, its the only way to go, unless you don't mind having the usual nappy crappy nasty dirty greasy DSM. I know I like my car clean like my bitches, but some like it nasty.

In fact I just pulled apart a car where the kid built his motor himself with top line and after 3000 miles thie car had spewed out of everywhere, I couldn't even imagine what it would've been after say 20,000 miles.

greycar said:
Top line sucks, I run only OEM gaskets, its the only way to go, unless you don't mind having the usual nappy crappy nasty dirty greasy DSM. I know I like my car clean like my bitches, but some like it nasty.

In fact I just pulled apart a car where the kid built his motor himself with top line and after 3000 miles thie car had spewed out of everywhere, I couldn't even imagine what it would've been after say 20,000 miles.

Do you have any additional examples, or is your evaluation based on just this one experience? To say that a company sucks based on one observance of one product they sell is ludicrous...Topline has many more products for many more applications.

Do you have any additional experiences with Topline products? I personally do, and the results have always been good. Gaskets, engine & head parts, even whole Topline engines or heads themselves. This is why I'm curious about why you say their products suck & anomalyinva says they're below OEM quality...I haven't experienced either, so I'd like to hear about it. Please, enlighten me.

I ran there lifters and I had no problem, but I have tried the gaskets before and I tought that they sucked and then this last kids car confirmed my belief. There are just horibly made, the paper is just cheap, doesn't have rubber feel and seal like a stocker. Hey just my 2 cents on why there gaskets suck, their lifters have worked fine and I have no complaits about them.

settle down the thread is about their gaskets not their other products

or maybe it was about their rebuild kit, but anyway, I would still run factory.

A factory part is better because you will get tighter tolerences, A oem part will always be better than a non performance oem replacement. Just because something says oem spec it doesn't say anything about material or material alloys, it just implies the size and shape is the same.

Just save for the extra $1000 for aftermarket

And sorry for skimming through the tread and getting the type of kit mixed up :shhh: :cry: :thumbdown :barf: :mad:

greycar said:
or maybe it was about their rebuild kit, but anyway, I would still run factory.

A factory part is better because you will get tighter tolerences, A oem part will always be better than a non performance oem replacement. Just because something says oem spec it doesn't say anything about material or material alloys, it just implies the size and shape is the same.

I disagree, but I'm not going to worry about it. One thing to keep in mind is that Topline provides many OE Manufacturers with their "OEM" replacement parts. Your lifters are a good example.

Order online, because the local dealer is a complete rip off.

call 877-564-4277 and ask for Chris, Tell him Evan sent you and to hook them shits up.
He has most stock stuff in stock and if not can get it to you in a couple of days, literally.

I used a topline water pump and oil pump during my rebuild and used the gaskets that came with them, everything is just fine :thumb:

Thanks for the replies... Im going to use it eventually, I just ran across a 1991 awd for $800. that actually runs. Im gonna pick that up and junk the tsi after I strip it. then build a basic backup motor. I also picked up a cometic head gasket to replace the cheap one that came with the kit. The cheap one looks like the ones that come for my N/a cars.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back