The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

transmission cooler and tranny temp gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmc67

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2004
Middlebourne, West_Virginia
ok first of all where cna I get a tranny temp gauge and in order too install one do you have too have a Transmission cooler? I just put another transmission in my 93 Eagle Talon ES and I wanna make it last as long as possible. I'm not looking for an expensive one right yet kinda limited on funds now going 45,000 dollars in debt too buy a house so funds are limited.

thanks dmc67 :dsm: :dsm: :talon: :talon:

any oil temperature gauges will work. No you dont need one to install a tranny cooler, but having both would be much better. Summit and jegs sell tranny coolers for less than 50 buck and they come with intallation kits

Tranny cooler is a MUST... I don't care if anyone thinks it's overkill, heat is the #1 killer of an AT because the fluid breaks down after it gets to a certain temperature... I went with the autometer Electrical Tranny Temp gauge.. 50 bux or so and it it works pretty well.

well I might not have been as clear as I wanted too be, but do u have too have a tranny cooler in order too install a Tranny temp gauge?

thanks for the info guys :talon:

No, you do not have to install a tranny cooler when installing a temp gauge. As far as installing the temp gauge, there are different locations you can put it. Your car should already have a stock tranny cooler in it, whether it be a front mounted cooler (in front of the A/C condenser) or in the radiator. You could tap into one of these hoses that go to the cooler to put your sensor. I tapped mine into the tranny pan instead of a hose. Even though you have a stock tranny cooler, it is a good idea to install another larger cooler (either removing the existing one with a larger cooler or put them in series). Like RuBiCaNT5X said, heat kills auto trannies.

DaveT
92GSX

where is the location of the tranny cooler on a 2g

I am not entirely sure, but check the radiator. Easiest thing to do is find the tranny cooler lines coming off the top of the transmission. They are between the shifter and the bell housing. Follow those lines untill you either see a cooler, which on my 92 was in front of the AC condenser, or they enter the bottom of the radiator.

DaveT
92GSX

I think the lines on a 2g connect to nipples on the bottom of the radiator. Not 100% sure though since I have a manual.

Check your manuals... 97+ AT's are supposed to have a cooler in the front of the radiator as a separate unit. The earlier 2G's had the cooler integrated into the radiator. If you have the cash, I suggest getting a new radiator and a separate tranny cooler... It will make life easier because you will have more options available to you for placement of the cooler itself...

early 2Gs were inclusive of the stock cooling system. Later 2g FWD have them in front of the radiator, and AWD has them in front of the drivers side wheel.
Mike

Last time I checked my 97 GS-T cooler is mounted in front of the driver side wheel. Same place the smic is mounted on the opposite side. Maybe it's something else. :confused:

you must have a late '96 if it's in the driver side well, there's lots of instances of model changeovers being on some and not on others, mostly interior though.

95-96 = driver side air dam, regardless of fwd/awd
97-99 = in front of radiator, towards drivers side.

So no matter what on an awd its in front of the driver side wheel well?

On a Talon yes, not sure about the Eclipse though. The more and more I read about Talons and Eclipses, they are getting more and more different. All 2gA A/T Talons have the drivers side tranny cooler. I also would like to know where to install my temp send. (Autometer sender unit)

For the most part yes. In the 2 different installs that I have done, I had to make custom brackets. But I used existing holes to bolt the cooler to. It's fairly easy.

DaveT
92GSX

You can even ziptie it in place if need be... it's alot easier than you think.

i was readying and was going to say get the IPT trans block for your sensor from your gauge, Im planing on getting it as well as a Autometer phantom temp gauge. I started reading, and went out and looked at mine, i have two coolers. One is on the front of the rad on the passager side, and one in the driver side wheel-well area... I traced the lines on the one in the front, and it goes to the trans, and the other ones goes into the botom of the rad... Dont know whats going on, i did't do it :confused: Here is a pic.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Grimis said:
I traced the lines on the one in the front, and it goes to the trans, and the other ones goes into the botom of the rad...

You're saying that one line goes from the tranny cooler located in front of tha A/C condenser (front of radiator) to the bottom of the radiator. If so, then look for another line coming out of the bottom of the radiator.

Better yet, trace each line coming off the top of the transmission. One should go to the tranny cooler in front of the A/C condensor. The other should go...well just trace it and you'll find out. You might have 3 coolers in your car:

Front Cooler -> Radiator Cooler -> Side Mount Cooler

Nothing wrong with that. Find out where your power steering cooler is at also.

DaveT
92GSX

It goes from the tranny, to the cooler in the radiator, and then to the driver's side air cooler. The loop is the power steering cooler.

The passenger's side lower opening in the front fascia is for the stock sidemount intercooler.

Grimis said:
i was readying and was going to say get the IPT trans block for your sensor from your gauge, Im planing on getting it as well as a Autometer phantom temp gauge. I started reading, and went out and looked at mine, i have two coolers. One is on the front of the rad on the passager side, and one in the driver side wheel-well area... I traced the lines on the one in the front, and it goes to the trans, and the other ones goes into the botom of the rad... Dont know whats going on, i did't do it :confused: Here is a pic.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

where your pictures says trans cooler, thats your power streering cooler. your trans cooler is in front of your driverside tire. its inside the drivers side small hole in the front fascia. and thats not a "side mount air intake" its the hole for a turbo cars side mount intercooler. where it say "another cooler??" thats your trans cooler. so again, there are 3 holes in your fascia. the two small ones on the ends, and the big one in the center. the small passenger side hole is for your intercooler, the looped tube in the big center opening is your power steering cooler, and the small hole on the drives side is your a/t trans cooler. btw thats a sharp looking talon :thumb:

from left to right... Front mount cooler. Trans cooler, i traced the lines 4 diffrent times. and the other is the powerstearing more then likely. Ill get a better idea when i take the front bumper off for the 99 converson this winter.

StyleElements said:
where your pictures says trans cooler, thats your power streering cooler. your trans cooler is in front of your driverside tire. its inside the drivers side small hole in the front fascia. and thats not a "side mount air intake" its the hole for a turbo cars side mount intercooler. where it say "another cooler??" thats your trans cooler. so again, there are 3 holes in your fascia. the two small ones on the ends, and the big one in the center. the small passenger side hole is for your intercooler, the looped tube in the big center opening is your power steering cooler, and the small hole on the drives side is your a/t trans cooler. btw thats a sharp looking talon :thumb:

Grimis said:
from left to right... Front mount cooler. Trans cooler, i traced the lines 4 diffrent times. and the other is the powerstearing more then likely. Ill get a better idea when i take the front bumper off for the 99 converson this winter.

i ended this. there is no more question. i did not guess, i stated facts

StyleElements is 100% correct... still wondering myself how to install my Autometer Tranny Temp gauge, came with a send but have no clue where to tap it into. Also, StyleElements, post some pics of your car in your gallery, I love the all white talon! :thumb:

i know the hole on the pass side is the hole for the side mount on "turbo" cars, i have a tsi awd. I will take pictures of the lines from the others ones.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back