The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

How to Redo your 1g Headliner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEFORE:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Materials Needed: 3M 08088 adhesive spray (very important you get that kind), Fabric (I used felt, they sell headliner fabric at Jo-Ann fabrics or any store like that), Scissors (Pinking shears work best if you have them!), Phillips Screwdriver, Wire brush, Paint (If you need to paint your push tabs)

1. Remove your upper trim. Take out your a-pillars, the center pillars, unscrew your visors, the hanger clips in the back and pop off the dome light cover, unscrew the two screws holding it in. Unscrew your sunroof latch (3 screws)-if you have a sunroof, you'll also need to pull the trim around the sunroof opening out (very easy, just give a little tug. Proceed to pop out all the little plastic push tabs holding the liner up. Be very careful not to let the headliner bend and crack or anything like that.

2. Once you get the old headliner out, pull the old fabric off. Use the wire brush to clean the board and get as much of the old foam off as possible. If you leave it on there, you're gonna be sagging again in no time. (One reason headliners sag is because that foam deteriorates)

3. Cut your fabric big enough so that you would have excess to fold under. Don't worry about cutting for the sunroof/dome light/ stuff like that yet. I have pinking shears which makes cutting fabric a LOT easier.

4. Have the fabric beside the headliner, spray in vertical lines over both surfaces, then go back and spray them horizontally. Make sure both the headliner and the fabric are decently covered with the spray otherwise it won't stick as well.

5. Let it sit for about few minutes (no more than 5) so it gets kinda tacky, then you'll want to start laying the fabric. This is where it's good to have a 2nd person. One to hold the fabric up and one to press it to the headliner. You'll want to be careful because once it's down, you don't want to be moving it. makre sure it's nice and stretched, no wrrinkles, etc.

6. Let it sit for about a half hour so it gets a little dry. Now Cut your openings for the sunroof and the dome light, press the edges of the fabric over the back of the headliner, again you don't want it to fold over too much, because then you'll have to go through two layers of fabric for the push pins.

DURING:

7. Let it dry for a few hours. (I let mine sit overnight) This is a good time to paint your trim and pins whatever to match. (Mine were a real light grey, I repainted them black) Cut your holes for the screws and plastic tabs (At this pont I put a few staples in where I knew trim would be covering it.

8. Then put it back in. I put in the front first, just putting the screws in for the sunvisor clips, then went to the back, put in two tabs and the back hangers, put the rest of the push tabs in, put my trim back around the sunroof, put the latch back on, the trim/etc...

DONE!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back