The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Aeromotive AFPR Install (with install kit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First off, this is not difficult at all. Just figured I'd fill this part of the forum a little more.

I bought this AFPR: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pressure Regulator : -6AN

Keep in mind, those black fittings are NOT included.

I then bought the kit because as I started to piece together my own kit, I found that buying this was cheaper: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - Fuel Pressure Regulator Install Kit (Firewall Install): Mitsubishi Eclipse 90 - 99

Here's what I got:

(The guage does not come with the regulator)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Let's get started.

Install the line together so it looks like this. If you need help for the installation of the line go here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...how-work-stainless-braided-hose-fittings.html
Keep in mind, those -an fittings are really soft metal. You don't need to be the hulks man child to tighten these things, or else your going to round off the fitting. You can buy special -an wrenches to keep from mucking up the ends, but that would of course be an extra expense. I used just regular box end craftsman wrenches and don't think the ends got too messed up. So just keep that in mind.:

Then, start to piece together the regulator and its fittings. It should be layed out like this:

For the inside (O-ring side) teflon tape or the like is not necessary.

All together (Sorry its rotated funny, photobucket blows):

Now, relieve the fuel pressure throughout the lines by unplugging the electrical connector plugged into the fuel pump assembly that is located underneath the rear seat. Once its disconnected, crank the car over a few times and your set. Of course, if the car has been sitting over night then there will not be any pressure in the lines and then unplugging the connector would not be necessary.

Take off the old regulator. This thing:

Before:

After:

A little comparison:

Now the fun stuff. Start with the fuel rail side. Bolt the silver -an "adapter" to the fuel rail itself with the supplied allen bolts. On the -an threaded part, THAT is what you want to use teflon tape on. So after the teflon tape is wrapped around the threads tighten the -an line fitting onto the fuel rail fitting. How it should look:

If you notice, I had to take off the plastic cam gear cover to get it to fit. If your like me, I wanted everything back in place how it was from the factory so I had to do a little trimming. I was notified by snowborder714 and was told that you won't have to do any trimming if you get a 1g fuel rail (not a '90). So keep that in mind.

Trim whats in red:

Here's what it should look like:

After the cam gear cover is trimmed go ahead and put it back on. As you can see I trimmed off a little more than necessary. Oh well:

Now you need to fab up a bracket of some sort inorder to mount the regulator. This is what was the most difficult for me. ESPECIALLY since extremepsi gives you only a certain length of braided hose. And trust me, you use EVERY bit of that hose.

Anyway, for the bracket I went up to my local ACE hardware to pick up a 1" flat steel piece about 3 feet long. I bended up a piece that looks like this:

Along with that I also picked up some self tapping sheetmetal screws, to bolt it to the firewall itself. Here's what that looks like:

Now just slip the bottom return line on (the hose that is connected to the yellow ring above). Teflon tape the -an threaded fitting on the regulator and tighten the line onto that. As far as the vacuum line goes, I got rid of the fuel pressure solenoid. This thing:

After doing a little research I decided to toss it because A.) it took up space, and B.) if it tossed a code I could get rid of it with DSMlink. Now, after starting the car up I didn't throw a code at all, so I didn't even have to use DSMlink to ignore the code. So go figure.

Here's the final product:

Now to set the regulator itself, start the car and let it get up to operating temp. After its up to temp, pull off the vacuum hose on the regulator and put your finger over it to cap it. You should see a number from your guage on the regulator.

Base Fuel Pressures:
For 2g's= 43psi
For 1g's= 37psi

Clockwise to add pressure. Counter-clockwise to lessen pressure. Tighten top nut when done.

It is now set. Attach vacuum hose back up, and the number will change. That is ok. Your good to go. Go for a drive and have fun.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back