The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

How to: Changing the ouput shaft (Drives T-case)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are the splines on your output shaft striped, worn out or like mine spiraling around the shaft?

This is what it looked like(pic 1)As you can tell this is after i took it out.

The things you will need:
1/2" drive ratchet or a torque wrench(your pick)I used both.
1/2" drive extensions
14mm 1/2" drive socket
17mm 1/2" drive socket
hammer
short 2x4
Assorted size flathead screwdrivers.
Gear puller
RTV gasket maker.
Something to drain your transmission fluid in.
Adjustable wrench
Your new shaft and a tcase to match the spline count if its different than yours.

The first things you need to do is set your emergency brake,put transmission in gear loosen the lug nuts on the front pass. side and raise your car on jack stands.I put blocks behing the rear wheels just to be safe.
Next dissconect your negative battery terminal.
Now the fun begins, get underneth the car.Drain your transmission and transfer case fluid. Then take out the bolts holding the transfer case to the transmission.They have a 17mm head.There are five of them, 3 long ones and 2 shorter ones.Set your transfer case aside and get out from underneth the car.Sorry i dont have any pics of this because mine was already off when i discovered i needed to change the shaft.

Go to the pass. side and take your tire off.(I think you know how to do this:) )
Now you have to take off your brake caliper there are two 14mm bolt holding it on.Dont dissconnect the fluid lines.Tie it up to your spring.
Take your ratchet and 14mm socket an loosen the bolts around the front case on your transmission.There are 11 of them, 2 really long ones and 9 shorter ones.You may need to use different extensions to get them all.Heres a pic of what you should be looking at.(pic 2)

After you have them all out take your short peice of 2x4 and place it on the side of the front case.Tap it with your hammer.You will have to put it in different spots until the case comes loose.
After you get that case off this is what you should be looking at.(pic 3)

Take your screwdrivers and pull the c-clip off your viscous coupling(pic 4).Then slide the coupling off.Yours might slide off easy.I had to use a gear puller and 2 sockets to get mine off.Like this(pic 5)
This were you have to be careful there are two little bearings,that hold the output shaft in place.When you pull the coupler off it will fall out.I only pulled my coupler back far enough so the bearings would release the output shaft.(pic 6)Im sorry the pic is really bad.
Now get back under the car and pull the shaft out.(pic 7)
Take your new shaft and slide it in place.Make sure it goes in all the way.
Tap your viscous coupler back in place.Now get back under the car and pull on the shaft to make sure the bearings locked.If it didnt take the coupler back off and do it again untill it does.
Once you have it locked in put the c-clip back on the coupler.
Clean up anything you want while you have it apart.Make sure you take a razor blade and get all the old sealer off.Now take your sealer or gasket maker and spread it all the way aorund the case.Make sure to get it around all the bolt holes, we dont want any leakes.
Now put the front case back on and tighten the bolts down, not to tight you wouldnt want to crack that cover.
Get back under the car and put your transfer case back on(might as well change the seals while you have it off).Now all you have to do is put your caliper and tire back on then your done.I hope this will help somebody.I needed something like this but couldnt find anything very descriptive.This is the first time i have attempted to do anything on the inside of the transmisson.
Hope this helps
Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,767
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,749
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,758
  • IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,748
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,818
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,728
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back