The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Gauge & controls placement ideas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlebain

10+ Year Contributor
May 16, 2012
Rochester, New_York
So I'm doing a rewire for most of my gauges. I want it to look discrete, and be driver-centric, and most of all WORK.

I don't like the wiring or placement of things from the previous owner. Plus the choices in things like USB programming cable hanging out of the dash & huge 4" tach above the vents, with holes for wiring in the dash to match! I had my a-pillar gauges cut out on me right away, trying to get them to work I noticed it was quite the mess.

I have a wideband o2, boost, and oil temp. Any others that might be useful? I'm getting rid of the huge tach eventually, but might get a standalone shift light..

Im thinking of both of these together..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and either putting the electronic boost controller & turbo timer in the glove box, or on the headliner above the sun visor most likely....

Anyone have any experience using either this combination of gauge pods? I'm sure somebody has something to say about the glove box controls install / headliner idea.. I haven't seen this done in the headliner spot yet, which kind of makes me want to do it!!

I had both of those at one point. Having both together makes it hard to read the original cluster. Even if you put the steering column pod as much to the center as it can (tilting the two cups) you won't be able to read certain RPM/Speed ranges. I'd personally say pic one of the two. The steering column one will also block most of the cluster pod gauge areas if the cups are put all the way to the sides. Hope this helps.

I had both of those at one point. Having both together makes it hard to read the original cluster. Even if you put the steering column pod as much to the center as it can (tilting the two cups) you won't be able to read certain RPM/Speed ranges. I'd personally say pic one of the two. The steering column one will also block most of the cluster pod if the cups are put all the way to the sides. Hope this helps.

Pics? Suggestions? What do you use now?

Thanks for your input!

I bought a 1 gauge steering pod from someone who custom made it that puts it dead center of the column (so it's right between the RPM/Speed cluster, blocks nothing) and kept the cluster pod. Works wonderfully. Check my pics and you'll see the last column idea with the singular pod in the middle. Not sure I have the two other ones together but I'll give a quick glimpse for you on my camera.

Sorry, just checked, no pics of the column/cluster pod set up.

I saw your pics, but they were a bit hard to make out given the lighting. Thanks for checking for me.

Anyone else have anything to say about this?
Anything on the controls setup options?

I have a 3 pillar pod on the driver's side and the dash bezel in picture one. I have to say no problems with either and running great. I believe the DASH BEZEL is the easiest and simple way to run the wiring harness back underneath the dash into the firewall of the car.

I have a 3 pillar pod on the driver's side and the dash bezel in picture one. I have to say no problems with either and running great. I believe the DASH BEZEL is the easiest and simple way to run the wiring harness back underneath the dash into the firewall of the car.

Omar, I don't see the pictures you are referring to. I only see exterior pics.

The 3-pillar pod you talk about here is for the a-pillar location with 3 pods? I have that currently.

Yes, that is correct, I should have clarified it up more. It is 3 pod "A-pillar" for the driver's side. Sorry, I haven't update any of my photos in a long time, let me get some up in a bit...meanwhile here is this.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/307095-obx-glowshift-gauge-bezel.html

This is my set. :D

I'm almost sure this is the same one I have, just a different color. Post a pic when you have one.

Yes, that is correct, I should have clarified it up more. It is 3 pod "A-pillar" for the driver's side. Sorry, I haven't update any of my photos in a long time, let me get some up in a bit...meanwhile here is this.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/307095-obx-glowshift-gauge-bezel.html

This is my set. :D

That is my old pic! I since then added another gauge pod above the top (love to monitor EVERYTHING).

Ignore the crappy screw holes, working on a better system :/

That is my old pic! I since then added another gauge pod above the top (love to monitor EVERYTHING).

Ignore the crappy screw holes, working on a better system :/

Wow, your a-pillar wiring must be crazy busy.

I really wonder why no aftermarket gauge pods have the snap in connectors.. it would make for a much cleaner (and easier) install.. I hate having my one screw head showing.

I went with option 1 during my project. So Far the gauges have been working for 4 months in the mocked position... I need to redo and wire somewhere else besides having the wires come between the door. I went with Prosport's oil pressure and vacuum gauge though I'm running non turbo.

Attachments

• IMAG0397.jpg
    IMAG0397.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 212
Guys about the screws showing on your pillar. Remember those plastic retainers for Chevy etc trim pieces? Well on the metal A frame of a 2G, there is a few pre-made holes already. Mock up the trim, pick one of the holes, drill a hole in trim, and pop one of these push-pull retainers in there. No tacky screws, looks completely stock, and no tools required for maintenance.

If anyone is interested I'll post a pic, I have a 3 pod that's held with one of these retainers
GM Fender Mud Skirt Push-Type Retainer

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 654
Last edited by a moderator:
NHerron- That's a great idea. Too bad I already used those spots for the screws :(.

As for gauge mounting, I have always like the idea of the cluster pods since they are clean, but they must be a PITA to look at. I like my triple pillar pod since my gauges are just a glance away from where I'm already looking.

Thanks it was a desperate last attempt :toobad: I used regular velcro for some time while I was looking for high temp velcro. Couldn't afford buying bulk velcro so I used one of the retainers I had leftover from repairing the sagging bumper. It works I'm happy

Yes, I still have full use of my A/C

Last edited by a moderator:
I build things like these for those whom like to be a little more sleeper.

they are are angled, gives it a little more function then the flat ones. Just some options

little more info on the radio bezel gauge holder? how did you make it? i have an extra one in my garage and currently my boost gauge is zip tied (hold the laughter) to the steering column.

I build and sell them in my shop, so i hope you understand when i say i cant really give details. i have a jig i make them from. I think i had about ~20 hrs in the first one, working out what works etc.

i understand, it looks great, i might have to try that one of these days, i've never worked with fiberglass before (if that's what you used) so i doubt mine will turn out anything like yours.

I have the a pillar and have boost, water temp, and oil pressure. And in the dual glowshift pod I have egt and wideband. I also just ordered the vent pod and radio pod from glowrder. Im so excited to get them.

I have glowryder's single gauge (center vent with one gauge and one a/c vent)...it's awesome :hellyeah:

If anyone is interested I'll post a pic, I have a 3 pod that's held with one of these retainers

Yes, I'd be interested to see what it looks like. Great idea. I hadn't even thought about trying to retrofit these into things.

I like this ^^ for things I don't check as often, temps, ambient air, barometer are just some thoughts.

Yes, I still have full use of my A/C

Yeah, your gauge placement is good, and clean. I saw it in another thread, and I liked what someone (maybe you) said about increase airflow out the side vents. And yes, I want AC back too. I'm thinking 3 vent mounted, and 2 steering column mounted. I already pulled an additional oem unit from the salvage yard for fiberglassing. I'll keep the a-pillar until I do this ovb.

Do something like this for hidden control units........ Airbag Stowage Box

I may do a fuse box relocation there eventually, I wanted to put boost controler and turbo timer in the glove box. I did notice the boost controller getting hot in there though. Maybe cooling fan install time..?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back