The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2GA front intercooler Idea??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitecl96

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 20, 2012
McMinnville, Tennessee
I have been looking for ideas to mount a FMIC for future project. I wanted to keep the 2ga front bumper with the fog lights. I looked and didn't see to much for us 420a guys. I did see a few for the 4g63 guys but I noticed the FMIC set low and the piping was also low.

My problem with everything coming low is that my car is very low and I scrap my front bumper sometimes and I sure this won't be good for the FMIC and piping.

So I looked at my car to try and figure it out. I started to think I did and than a possible problem came up. Here is my drawling.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As you see where most the intercooler is cover by the bumper. Is this a problem and if it is any ideas how to fix it without hacking the bumper like crazy I want to keep kind of a stealth look.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2ga doesn't give you a lot of room I tried to keep mine looking stock Hahn fmic

Its going to be hard to keep the fog lights you might have to lose them and buy some aftermarket ones. I have a 2ga im just switching to the 2gb front bumper if you go that way you need the 2gb headlights there round a little different the the 2ga

HAHN FMIC. no need to re-invent the wheel.. that is a great IC, AND... get this.. it was designed for our platform, and it allows you to keep fogs!

In your pic, your really, really killing the performance of the IC. function over form.. Thats alot of hot air and power loss your willing to take for fog lights? The Hahn should work for you, although it may be more geared got the 2gb, take a look at, but at any rate, you may have to cut up the front bumper, but I think its the solution you need.

HAHN FMIC. no need to re-invent the wheel.. that is a great IC, AND... get this.. it was designed for our platform, and it allows you to keep fogs!

I'm pretty sure the Hahn is a little to big to keep the fogs on a 2ga. The 2gb works cause the lights are smaller. If I'm wrong then sorry but the only cores that let you keep you fogs on a 2ga are shorter then the Hahn. I've only seen cores like this able to keep fogs for a 2ga. Being a 420a might be a little bit harder to do but possible

Form over function? I want the function of keeping the stock fog light. :D I've looked up the HAHN FMIC and seen it mounted on the 2gb (97-99) bumper with the fog lights still in it but when it came to the 2ga (95-96) bumper the fog lights are gone and you can tell they wouldn't mount up anymore.

Also the problem with most front mounted intercoolers is they sit to low on the car for my low car to safely have them. The last thing I want is to drag a $100 intercooler and loose all my boost and same with the piping. That is why I am trying to keep the piping and everything up high in the front.

I did see this side mounted intercooler on HAHN's site for the 420a but I don't see it anywhere. And yes I have seen the $1000 turbo write up with his side mount intercooler :thumb: but that still left me guessing how to pipe everything.

Try to read all of what I say because it seems like you'll are missing the point of my car being low and that I want to keep the fog lights for a 2ga (95-96) front bumper. I also don't want to cut a huge hole in the front. I want to keep a stealth look and going to be using a black intercooler so it is harder to see.
Thanks

The only ones that would allow for keeping the 2ga fogs, were the OG "Small" greddy intercoolers.

Mine is Custom, and doesn't sit lower than the front crossmember neither do the pipes., I sit Lower than you do.

Thanks Justin.

But see the problem of how low the intercooler sits I have about 5 Inches if that between bottom bar for the radiator support and the ground. One of my problems with that intercooler besides the fog light issue.

Buddy your actting as if you have the only lowered car around here. The way mine sits is more then likely lower then yours my bumper is a 1in off the ground possibly lower and I have a Vr speed factory fmic no need to worry about messing the ic up, if your stiff enough go over speed bumps sideways you'll be good. If your that concerned about it I know mishimoto makes a tiny fmic but you have to buy the piping seperate so that might cost you more in the long run.

Last edited:
I know I'm not the only one with a low car but I'm almost to the point I don't have suspension travel up front. Which yes puts my bumper low. The Hahn intercooler would basically be right on the ground.

BUT IF PEOPLE WOULD READ!!!!! I'm not asking what intercooler to use.

I'm asking about the idea I had and find a why to improve its function.

glowryder come up with the problem that I thought and that's as far as this thread got.

Screw it, if you're tryin to reinvent the wheel...go top mount, google mitsubishi airtrek, copy that design.
There are plenty of existing designs that won't let the pipes hit, so good luck with the endeavor .

I did mine the way I did because, I'm low, really low with minimal suspension travel, he'll I rock 19 x8.5's in the front and 10's in the rear, and it's an automatic with abs. So conventional pipe routing wasn't feasible. Since it basically required me to modify my fans to fit over the crossmember, and I sure as hell wasn't going to run it under.

How am I reinventing? I just simply flipped the intercooler. Now both pipes would come out the top and wrap around. Here is the Hahn.

Very similar to what I'm planning but instead of having the outlet coming out the bottom and the other on top, both come out the top. Like the picture but both sides.

I'm just asking if the ic would function as go with half it kind covered and not getting direct air flow.

Not to start a war about who has the lowest car.

Also pictures of your setup would also help.

How am I reinventing? I just simply flipped the intercooler. Now both pipes would come out the top and wrap around. Here is the Hahn.

Very similar to what I'm planning but instead of having the outlet coming out the bottom and the other on top, both come out the top. Like the picture but both sides.

I'm just asking if the ic would function as go with half it kind covered and not getting direct air flow.

Not to start a war about who has the lowest car.

Also pictures of your setup would also help.
I can take my wheels off set the car on the frame and still not cake an intercooler pipe , mine physically looks like the Hahn setup, but enters and exits on the passenger side. And yes it is reinventing the wheel, what is the point of having a core if you are just gonna treat it like a straight through pipe? Hot air will simply follow the path of least resistance , and since heat rises , your design has absolutely no benefit since the section of IC that is heat soaked is trapped behind the bumper support.

Edit the difference between the Hahn IC and mine is, I use a bottom to top flow, while theirs is side to side. My inlet/outlet pipes are on the same side

I used the VRSF short route kit. No fog lights though. I have thought about getting some aftermarket fogs but just haven't got around to it.

This one shows a little better how much of the intercooler is exposed through the smiley 2ga.

I want to take the front bumper off again and cut more of the lower section of the crash bar and make a duct so more of the intercooler will get hit by air.

I can take my wheels off set the car on the frame and still not cake an intercooler pipe , mine physically looks like the Hahn setup, but enters and exits on the passenger side. And yes it is reinventing the wheel, what is the point of having a core if you are just gonna treat it like a straight through pipe? Hot air will simply follow the path of least resistance , and since heat rises , your design has absolutely no benefit since the section of IC that is heat soaked is trapped behind the bumper support.

Edit the difference between the Hahn IC and mine is, I use a bottom to top flow, while theirs is side to side. My inlet/outlet pipes are on the same side

If your talking about the intercooler on your avatar that looks like it sets way to low for me. If possible I would still like to see if it works. Take two measurements for me. 1. measure the difference from the lowest part of your intercooler/piping to the ground. 2. measure from the bottom beam on the radiator support.
That will help me see and compare where it would sit in my car compared to the ground.

And thanks about telling me the flaw in my design. I thought that this would have been a problem. That was the main question I was asking in this thread. Beside wanting to keep the stock fog lights.

I used the VRSF short route kit. No fog lights though. I have thought about getting some aftermarket fogs but just haven't got around to it.

This one shows a little better how much of the intercooler is exposed through the smiley 2ga.

I want to take the front bumper off again and cut more of the lower section of the crash bar and make a duct so more of the intercooler will get hit by air.

See I still want stock fog lights to be able to work in my bumper. I've looked at aftermarkets and none fill the bumper like the stock ones to look good imo.

But your intercooler looks good. :thumb:

What kind of boost are you running on your 420a? If the fog lights are so important to you - just run a side mount IC. If you are fixed on the fmic then run a smaller core. The one on your pic looks like overkill for your NA Eclipse turbo setup that I'm pretty sure won't be seeing over 10psi. Front mounts are better suited for cars that are running higher boost as they require more cooling to run more efficient. If your car will be running low boost - a small sidemount should be sufficient as it will allow for quicker spool and better response. Please give us a mod list of what you are currently running on the car to better serve you as the thread is pretty vague at this point...are you even turbo or at least have the turbo kit yet? Or are we on "dream street" and "tire kicker" ally at this point?

What kind of boost are you running on your 420a? If the fog lights are so important to you - just run a side mount IC. If you are fixed on the fmic then run a smaller core. The one on your pic looks like overkill for your NA Eclipse turbo setup that I'm pretty sure won't be seeing over 10psi. Front mounts are better suited for cars that are running higher boost as they require more cooling to run more efficient. If your car will be running low boost - a small sidemount should be sufficient as it will allow for quicker spool and better response. Please give us a mod list of what you are currently running on the car to better serve you as the thread is pretty vague at this point...are you even turbo or at least have the turbo kit yet? Or are we on "dream street" and "tire kicker" ally at this point?

Yet again not what my thread was talking about. Read. :thumb:

I have been looking for ideas to mount a FMIC for future project. I wanted to keep the 2ga front bumper with the fog lights. I looked and didn't see to much for us 420a guys. I did see a few for the 4g63 guys but I noticed the FMIC set low and the piping was also low.

Not meaning to sound like a jerk or anything but this thread keeps going off topic, so to speak.

My car right now is 100% stock, motor wise. I am getting ready to boost it in the summer with the simple 8lb build. FOR NOW This is just to kinda get me started somewhere before going big.

As of right now I am planning to make sure everything is figured out so when it comes down to it I'm not sitting there with missing parts and things that wont work. I want a FMIC. Yes I know its going to be running low boost for now, but after the simple build to get me a little more knowledge about turbos, I'm going to start working on the big build. I'll have a second motor to build strong and hp planned to have is 300 to 350 reliable dd. But that is later and has nothing to do with this thread beside I don't want to have to figure out an intercooler twice.

So to get us on topic again. I am wanting a front mount intercooer that can keep the stock fog lights and bumper. Also can not be low due to how low my car sits.

I am still waiting for measurements from 4g63tc to see if his set-up will work for me.

Again I'm stock at the moment and PLANNING due to a DD I need to make sure I got everything when I start to turbo so I have the minimum down time.

Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back