The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420a turbo questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stepmonster

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2012
Hanover, Pennsylvania
Ok so i have been looking around and havent foun exactly what i was looking for yet. so i just have a few quick questions for you guys out there. I am looking to turbo my 420a.LOL

I have a 99 eclipse gs, i am being told in every direction i turn that stock internals can handle 8-10 psi of boost, but heres where my question is..

My car has 165,000 on the odometer and the motor seems to be in pretty good shape,:hellyeah: when i got the car it had a missfire on cyl 3. This corrected itself over time and no longer occurs, i dont have a check engine light and i keep it well maintained.:D But this is my only car and my daily driver.... Is this a good idea to boost it on stock internals?:pray:

My second and final question is my car is automatic, and i have seen turboed 420a's on 8lbs of boost and 1st gear and damn near all of second are pointless. Will this have any effect on my at? Thank you!

Ok so i have been looking around and havent foun exactly what i was looking for yet. so i just have a few quick questions for you guys out there. I am looking to turbo my 420a.LOL

I have a 99 eclipse gs, i am being told in every direction i turn that stock internals can handle 8-10 psi of boost, but heres where my question is..

My car has 165,000 on the odometer and the motor seems to be in pretty good shape,:hellyeah: when i got the car it had a missfire on cyl 3. This corrected itself over time and no longer occurs, i dont have a check engine light and i keep it well maintained.:D But this is my only car and my daily driver.... Is this a good idea to boost it on stock internals?:pray:

My second and final question is my car is automatic, and i have seen turboed 420a's on 8lbs of boost and 1st gear and damn near all of second are pointless. Will this have any effect on my at? Thank you!

if its your only car i defintly wouldnt boost on stock internals,

I would personally do a compression and leak down test before you do anything. Also you can go turbo with stock internals, but its not advisable to do, especially if its your daily then it also should raise some concern. What maintenance have you done to your car (ex. Head gasket, timing belt, and so on)?

if its your only car i defintly wouldnt boost on stock internals,

Ok thank you

I would personally do a compression and leak down test before you do anything. Also you can go turbo with stock internals, but its not advisable to do, especially if its your daily then it also should raise some concern. What maintenance have you done to your car (ex. Head gasket, timing belt, and so on)?

Ok, ive just been well maintaining oil, i run 89 fuel instead of 87, brand new timing belt. Head gasket was replace about 30,000 mi ago.

By the way a misfire doesn't correct itself. Just because it doesn't occur anymore doesn't mean there isn't still a problem. If you have a cat it may have melted down so I would check that. Also I would check the plugs. Fuel system as well.

Do a compression and leakdown test. Thats not a suggestion, thats what you need to do. IF it comes back with good numbers, then you can think about tubo'ing.

As for the trans. Yes.. it will have an impact. Youll be slower IMO, and even slower when the a604 explodes. The autos are not known for their reliability.. even on a stock car. Now you have options..
1. swap to a 5spd, and mod that if you wish, or
2. buy a performance Auto.. with a performance stall. This will be expensive. the one i have available is about 1G.

Any idea on what your gunna run for fuel? Id suggest an SFMU or PF system, but PF would be overkill IMO.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back