The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Who all is pushing boost on stock 420a internals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eSCAPEist_

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2010
Decatur, Alabama
I want to know who all is pushing turbo on stock 420a internals. Be sure to let us know how reliable it has been for you and let us know your boost settings, type of turbo, other engine management mods, etc.

-eSCAPEist_

8psi here. Stock internals. Ht18s. 275cc inj tuned with safc 1

Minus spinning two rod bearings. Has been fine.

Thanks E, ive been meaning to ask this question. Possibly going turbo..... With stock internals for now....not looking for a Hahn but something that performs similar.

I was, rebuilding now....

16g, basic 12:1 fmu/walbro 255 setup, 8psi. I ended up melting a piston after about 12k miles :S

Originally had stock internals, fully built head. 8psi on a little T3 with FMU, SAFC and FMIC.
Ran for about 10k miles or so to about 120,000 miles. I'm sure would have lasted longer if didn't get in lean conditions as often as I did. Stupid me.

Me, I am running a T04E turbo at 8 PSI, spiking to 10 PSI, on stock internals, stock injectors with an FMU, Over 20,000 miles, no problems.

What kind of power are you guys making with those 420a motors at 8-10psi on small turbos?

If I remember right the Hahn kit with a S16g at 10 psi nets around 275, thats with a rising rate regulator tune(SFMU), a buddy of mine has a S16g with an 8.8:1 compression ratio and make 265whp at 6psi, he was tuning with MSnS though.

I ran the Hahn kit on a bone stock motor for a long time. Engine held up fine but the tranny blew apart so I had to sell it cause I wasn't going to have time to fix it before I left for school and needed something to drive. Made 205 WHP and 225 WTQ untuned @ 10 psi. Then I put a wideband in it and realized how lean it was going so I threw some larger injectors in it, still using only the SFMU to "tune", but the thing got a hell of a lot faster. Tranny blew before I could get back to the dyno though. I still get reports from friends every now and then that they see the car driving around some where so unless the guy who bought it rebuilt it or something, it beens running strong for about 8 years.

Last edited:
I ran the Hahn kit on a bone stock motor for a long time. Engine held up fine but the tranny blew apart so I had to sell it cause I wasn't going to have time to fix it before I left for school and needed something to drive. Made 205 WHP and 225 WTQ untuned @ 10 psi. Then I put a wideband in it and realized how lean it was going so I threw some larger injectors in it, still using only the SFMU to "tune", but the thing got a hell of a lot faster. Tranny blew before I could get back to the dyno though. I still get reports from friends every now and then that they see the car driving around some where so unkess the guy who bought it rebuilt it or something, it beens running strong for about 8 years.

Damn, that sucks you lost it. Sounds like you had a pretty decent set up going though, what SFMU were you using?

Yeah, I really loved that car. As far as SFMU's go, it was just whatever one came with the HRC kit. I wish I could have finished that car, I gave the guy that bought it an intake manifold, everything needed to do an 8 injector setup, and a bunch of other stuff. I'd love to know what that car could have done.

Old motor was stock with normal hahn setup at 9 psi with sfmu, cracked a ringland after about a year of boosting and probably 7-8000 miles. Was original motor with 160,000 miles on it.

Stock internals here, running 7 psi for 6k miles. Now running a Turbonetics T3 super 60, fpr isn't holding my walbro so I'm on stock furl pump want watching my wideband like a hawk. planning on swapping in a built block though. For now, everythings running fine.

VelocitàPaola;152608756 said:
MS... it's just MS. MSnS refers to an outdated firmware version. :D

Sheesh, you and Dave on those little details :p Ok, I guess I'll have to change my ways to say Megasquirt instead of Megasquirt and Spark. :p Hahn ran this kit for over 2 years during testing on this kit. If your car has been taken care of, and the maintence is up to date, I see no reason(if your wanting a reliable turbo kit, to not put this kit on!

If I remember right the Hahn kit with a S16g at 10 psi nets around 275, thats with a rising rate regulator tune(SFMU), a buddy of mine has a S16g with an 8.8:1 compression ratio and make 265whp at 6psi, he was tuning with MSnS though.
Nice well above any stock turbo dsm

I ran my 57 trim when I had my 420 before I built the motor lasted like 1 month if that.Also about the same for a few buddies in my area asme senario.

Nice well above any stock turbo dsm

I dont mean to DIS anyone but in regards to this quote above... How many people with any type of turbo car keeps it stock? So it really dosent make since to try to compare these mods with stock turbo cars in my opinion. With that being said, I know that it may be a big deal to go out and buy a turbo model of the cars we drive but with me just reading a few post in this section it seems that the engine failure rate is a little high when trying to turbo charge the N/T model. Just dosent seem to be a good way to spend money to go fast.

I had the GST model first and I installed the HAHN super 20g setup on this car (with all the supporting mods for this power level) and I was beating vetts mustangs camaros,infinities g37 etc... but that was on the highway. If it was a stop light race, well I would spin all of first ...all of second... and short shift to third before I could get any traction... The short shift always causes my mph in 3rd to be to low for any meaningful acceleration in 3rd. That caused me to now have to try to catch up to these cars which made my car appear slower then what it was. To be honest, the best thing that any of you guys should do is save your money and sell your good running N/T models and go for the AWD version of these cars. I sold my GST (Removed my motor and installed a stock motor)and bought a blown motor Talon tsi AWD model and even though this car is in need of a rebuild(chassis stuff, ball joints,hub bearings etc..) by putting all of the gst boltons and adding some more high performance items (external wastegate- Sheet metal intake and so forth) I now leave the line extremely hard (0-60 3.9 seconds) with only street tires. The top end (70-90mph takes 1.9 seconds) is awesome with my new setup.. all with a stock block motor, cams,head studs(didnt have to remove the head to install the studs) and valve stem seals(was smoking a little bit) all the other parts were bolt on.
Like I said earlier, Its your money and your decision but to setup these N/T cars to run like the stock turbo or just a little better then the stock models really dosent make sense to me. The engine was not set up to run with boost which I believe contributes to the high failure rates as well as a lack of the owners knowledge in tuning the car properly.. :hellyeah:

Just my 2Cents.....
Corey

Yes Corey, we all know the difference in these cars. We all know the AWD is the superior model, but to some of us, it was more about learning from the ground up.

(I bought a car already turbo and can beat up vettes and Camaros) wow... Cool story bro. Heard that story as much as the question asked by OP

If you have nothing to contribute, move along.

Is response to OP, these 420a's all have high mileage on them by now, if one is serious about going with boost, a rebuild should be in high regard. The piston rings are usually tired and give out fast, valve seals and lower crank bearings aren't up to the fight much either.

There are some folks out there who boost stock internals and get away with it. And good job to those who do. But it's only a matter of time before it fails... As with any engine. Routine maintenance will keep you informed of how well it's holding up.

Why is it that whenever Chrysler has a good product...there are a ton of people who say it's because of another company, and whenever it's bad, they always relate it to Chrysler?...It really gets old.

Anyway's, that and like half the posts above have not much to do with the OP's question.

I'm not running boost, but with all my N/A mods, I'm making more than enough to have a fun daily driver...when I want it to be. I've been watching and waiting and reading for years, and still have not decided to boost. It's just something else to break..besides, when you boost a car and troubles begin, values tank.

I'll keep mine as close to factory as possible.

well it's Chrysler's fault that it's an iron block so it handles boost well coupled with a forged bottom end. so that's good i guess.

my old turbo 420a was a built block so i can't really say anything about turbo on stock internals, i just get aggravated when 4g people talk crap about the 420a.

Why is it that whenever Chrysler has a good product...there are a ton of people who say it's because of another company, and whenever it's bad, they always relate it to Chrysler?...It really gets old.

Anyway's, that and like half the posts above have not much to do with the OP's question.

I'm not running boost, but with all my N/A mods, I'm making more than enough to have a fun daily driver...when I want it to be. I've been watching and waiting and reading for years, and still have not decided to boost. It's just something else to break..besides, when you boost a car and troubles begin, values tank.

I'll keep mine as close to factory as possible.

My gsx has been a very reliable and fun dd for the year i have owned, and i love it...ive owned and modded a 420a before and it is nothing compared to a 4g63,without even mentioning AWD sorry ;)

The 420a vs. 4g63 battle will never end, you know why because its not a fair battle.:banghead:

and i admit 420a's are awesome, to a certain level.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back