The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Turbo conversion Checklist

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallensun

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2003
San sebastian, Europe
Hi everyone.

I am thinking about turboing my 2g NT.

I am doing first a cheklist of parts and mods that must be done/bought.

-Turbo
-Exhaust manifold for turbo
-Piping for high temp air (forced side)
-Intercooler
-Turbo Oil Line to carter
-Wastegate for avoiding presure climbing to insane levels

-¿Injectors?
-¿Fuel pump?
-¿Manual boost controller?
-¿AFC?

Is it needed to lower CR? If yes, how?

I would like to receive every little help possible, thank you everyone for your time.

Hmm. It all depends on what kind of power goals your looking for.

For starters you will need something to control your fuel. You might also want a bigger pump. Injectors are optional, but if you use an fmu or sfum to turn up fuel pressure. You do not need an intercooler, however it does help. You definately need an air bypass or BOV. Do a search for gsgoinfast's stage 2 setup. It has everything you need. Its not going to be easy ask anyone here including myself can tell you that you in for some serious headaches. Good luck.

actually your in Europe which means you have an NT 4g63. Talk to Raph he did what you want to do. We have 420a motors here and they are a world of difference than 4g NA's.

greenmeanie99 said:
actually your in Europe which means you have an NT 4g63. Talk to Raph he did what you want to do. We have 420a motors here and they are a world of difference than 4g NA's.

Thanks, but I do have a 420A.
I do know that 2G GS on US have a 420A, and 2G GS on EUR have a 4g63.

I bought mine at Upton, MA.

Here is the Check list I had for mine, it will cover all of the basics you will need for your set up to turbo the 420A

Turbo
Exhaust manifold flanged for specific turbo
Fuel pump (most go with the Walbro 255 lph)
FMU-(Usually 12:1 ratio)
Blow off valve of your choice and flange for the BOV
Boost and Air/Fuel Gauge
Pipes to cut and route-(if you plan on doing your own IC and Down pipe)
^ For these you decide the diameter. For the downpipe do either 2.5" or 2.75", IC pipes between 2" and 2.75".
Intercooler-(greenmeanie99 is right in saying that you don't have to have one, but it is highly recommended, it is much more safe to run boost on your car if it is intercooled, Ebay has cores there for under $200 USD shipped, not sure how that compares to Euros.)
Silicone couplers and worm clamps
-4an oil line for feed-(It is cheapest to assemble your own tapping kit for the back of the block, granted that you have some sort of hardware store near you..You need to get a 3/8 hex nipple, 3/8 female Tee, 1/4 to 3/8 reducer).
You will also need some oddball parts like
Nuts, bolts, washers.
Fuel and Vaccum hose

DSMcrazy3 said:
Here is the Check list I had for mine, it will cover all of the basics you will need for your set up to turbo the 420A

Turbo
Exhaust manifold flanged for specific turbo
Fuel pump (most go with the Walbro 255 lph)
FMU-(Usually 12:1 ratio)
Blow off valve of your choice and flange for the BOV
Boost and Air/Fuel Gauge
Pipes to cut and route-(if you plan on doing your own IC and Down pipe)
^ For these you decide the diameter. For the downpipe do either 2.5" or 2.75", IC pipes between 2" and 2.75".
Intercooler-(greenmeanie99 is right in saying that you don't have to have one, but it is highly recommended, it is much more safe to run boost on your car if it is intercooled, Ebay has cores there for under $200 USD shipped, not sure how that compares to Euros.)
Silicone couplers and worm clamps
-4an oil line for feed-(It is cheapest to assemble your own tapping kit for the back of the block, granted that you have some sort of hardware store near you..You need to get a 3/8 hex nipple, 3/8 female Tee, 1/4 to 3/8 reducer).
You will also need some oddball parts like
Nuts, bolts, washers.
Fuel and Vaccum hose

ok ;) that looks more like a good checklist.

Can you explain "4an oil line for feed" ?

fallensun said:
ok ;) that looks more like a good checklist.

Can you explain "4an oil line for feed" ?

4 an is the same connection as a 1/4" flare from the hardware store. after the 3/8 to 1/4 NPT reducer, you must also get a 1/4 NPT to 1/4 flare. Im not certain where you could buy a 4an SS oil feed line, but im sure ebay has them. i got half of mine from a kit, but it was too short so i got a 1/4" flare hex nipple and used my 4an nitrous line to go the rest of the way ROFL

you will also need a return line and some way to connect the return line to the oil pan. ehh just check out my write-up :thumb:

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181134

oh yes!
I saw that post when you did it, but I did not remember how to find it ;)

A pretty good work ;) Maybe my calibra can get it done too ;)

thanks!

fallensun said:
oh yes!
I saw that post when you did it, but I did not remember how to find it ;)

A pretty good work ;) Maybe my calibra can get it done too ;)

thanks!
ROFL no problem mate

To boost on stock internals I would get the following.
Turbo
Downpipe
Turbo Manifold with external wastegate flange and egt bung
External Wastegate
(I recommed the external wastegate because it is easier to run intercooler piping by being able to clock your turbo wherever you want and it will be easier to upgrade in the future)
Intercooler (front or side mount)
Turbo to Intercooler Piping
Intercooler to Throttle Body Piping
Blow Off Valve
(if you are deciding to run on stock internals and never plan to redo the block or up the boost)
Apexi SAFC 2
Vortech SFMU
(if you decide you will want to run more boost in the future and redo the block)
Aeromotive 13109 FPR
Megasquirt
4AN stainless steel lines and fittings
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump
440 cc injectors
Oil feed line to turbo and splitter for block to run oil line and stock oil sensor, or aftermarket oil pressure sender unit
Oil return line from turbo to oil pan with fittings for oil pan and
Intake for turbo
Manual Boost Controller
Boost Gauge
EGT Gauge & Probe
Oil Pressure Guage Recommended
Upgraded Ignition System

Cant think of anything else at the moment

That seems like more of a checklist to follow on a built engine. With stock internals not much boost will be run, and internal gate is fine, stock injectors are fine, you don't need an afpr, the FMU does the job good enough, ignition system is fine, and you don't need megasquirt.

^Those items are very expensive, the cheapest one of them is probably about $250, if you want quality. Like I said you don't really need those and if you're on a budget stay away from them :thumb:

DSMcrazy3 said:
That seems like more of a checklist to follow on a built engine. With stock internals not much boost will be run, and internal gate is fine, stock injectors are fine, you don't need an afpr, the FMU does the job good enough, ignition system is fine, and you don't need megasquirt.

^Those items are very expensive, the cheapest one of them is probably about $250, if you want quality. Like I said you don't really need those and if you're on a budget stay away from them :thumb:

Which ones?

External wastegate, bigger injectors, AFPR(Adjustable fuel pressure regulator), and usually people get one or the other SAFC 2, OR megasquirt. If you have the funds, get the megasquirt over the SAFC 2.

You don't HAVE to have the tuning device(SAFC 2 or Mega squirt), but if you have the money you can't go wrong with it :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back