The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Pictures of N/T Tranny After Some Real Boost (20psi on EVO3 16G)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimG

N/T Moderator
Jun 28, 2002
Aurora, ON_Canada
Yeah, do you see anything missing? 4G63 N/T trannys gears are weaker than turbo trannies. I've seen both. Here's the n/t tranny. Where did 3rd gear go? Oh... at the bottom of my tranny.

Attachments

• Gear Shred.JPG
    Gear Shred.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,509
hhhmm,prolly couldve happend to a turbo tranny too? bad luck maybe?? hmm,now go out and see if the turbo tranny internals will fit in the nt tranny! :thumb:

ouch, that really sounded like it hurt :(

maybe im wrong,but it looks to me like the syncro just fell off.did it take out your shift fork too?

That is an awesome picture.

"Bottom of my tranny" LOL :thumb: ROFL

I am running a 4WD NT tranny on my galant, and if this is what I have to look forward to, well then I might not run so much boost. I wanted to run 21psi on the street, but who knows now. I need that tranny to last for a few months.

Take some more pics, upclose. Also can you just replace the parts or do you need a whole new tranny?

I just saw your video Kyle. That's exactly what happened to me. The funniest part is you thinking, "GOD. This is EXACTLY what happened to Tim." Then you say it outloud, "I think I just stripped the gears off 3rd gear." Haha :tease:

Yea I've not opened it up yet to see the total damage, but I'm guessing its pretty impressive. Maybe this next week I'll open her up.

Update: I've got the turbo trans in the car, but this thing is grindy as shit. I have the clutch and everything adjusted the way I think it should be and its still pretty bad in 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm still working out who I'm going to have do the rebuild. There's a really solid guy about an hour and a half away that could do it for around $600 or so, and on monday I'm going to talk to one of our service techs about it. See what he thinks when he looks at it.

It just sucks, that trans shifted great and the act clutch I had in there was holding the power just fine while being very controllable and driveable day to day. Kinda sucks the clutch could take much more abuse than the tranny could.

I've got the N/T tranny and im runnin the Garret t04b v-trim. I am only about 15-17psi and i thought the tranny was holding fine. Well now it is starting to do weird things like...getting stuck in neutral or all of a sudden lock up then let lose. It will go soon and i will just be thinking back to this thread and saying to myself " i think i just stripped the teeth of 3rd gear" :cry: I will prol be back in a few weeks to let you guys know LOL.

Sorry to hear that man, I am going to try and change the wording of my tech article since I know a couple people have followed that to get the job done.

Also I did some checking today and found out that the actual engine and transmission mounts are almost all different between the fwd nt and fwd turbo. I'm guessing its to move the entire setup forward in the car an inch or two since my new turbo transmission (with the nt engine and tranny mounts) is currently rubbing a bit on the cross-member.

Hmm that is weird. I thought they all bolted up exactly the same? I have an extra turbo tranny but it is a 90. So the linkages are going to be different. Damn actually i can't even use it, i have a 7-bolt.

The 1990 uses different cables and possibly even the shifter base.

I put a may of 91 (popups) turbo tranny into my september of 91 (non-pop-up) nt chassis with nt motor mounts and it rubs against the front crossmember on the very back of the tranny where the diff is. I'm assuming that the turbo mounts move the entire engine/transmission assembly forward by an inch or two to accomodate. Also I had to modify my nt transmission bracket in order to bolt the turbo trans to it.

All front mounts on the front of the engines are different between turbo AWD, turbo FWD and n/t FWD. That's where the problem lies.

According to caps, the only things that's the same are the mounts on the crossmembers (not the part that bolts to the block) and the timing belt part of the driver's side mount.

I had to cut out the area where the bolt closest to the engine usually goes through the bracket. I'll try to work up the details and stuff when I get home tonight

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back