The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

bad ecu symptoms? or asd relay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbayz311

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2005
Ogden, Utah
my car has died multiple times out of nowhere with no noticable cause. most of the time it only happens when it gets hot. but after it had time to cool off it would usually just fire right up. the most recent time i pulled the head to replace a low compression piston, when it was all ready to start for the frst time we cranked it and no start. we looked into it and discovered that the coilpack gets 12 volts only right after the key is turned to the "on" position for about 2 seconds and then goes back to 0 no matter if we are cranking or what. we have found that the injectors are not getting their power either. we looked into the asd relay and when we grounded the proper wire manually the asd relay clicks and the ignition has a consistant 12 volts. but still no start. why does the coil only get its power for about 2 seconds right after the key is turned to on, then drop right back to 0 again? we didnt touch any wiring during this last rebuild besides to unplug them. we checked and double checked all of our wiring. do you think i need a new ecu or asd relay? thats just the jist of it let me know if you need more specifics and ill let you know. i cant think of any other cause to this strange prolonging problem than something to do with the ecu. please let me know what you think asap with strong support; i dont want to have to buy a new ecu if i dont have to.

Check your EGR pipe, and make sure it hasn't burn't any wires up...this will kill the connection to different important things that keep your car running....mine shut down on the freeway for no reason at all...then it would start up when it cooled down,but would die again shortly after.

If you do a seach about this you can find more detailed stories of it happening to other people and see if it resembles what is going on with you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back