The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

97 auto tranny not wanting to downshift on 2nd gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

936DSMboy

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2010
Conroe, Texas
My car doesnt want to downshift when ever I want to drive it normally.

It will however downshift when ever i apply more gas than usual but by then my rpms will be past a little more than 4k and i dont want people thinking im trying to race them LOL when im really just trying to get to places smoothly and slow.

I belive that it likes to stay in 2nd gear.

My fluid is where it should be and its a pinkish redish looking color which happens to be some lucas auto tranny fluid. other than not wanting to downshift it seems to shift fine in all gears.

One more thing about my tranny it likes to rev up when ever i put it into park to drive or from any other position to the next but not all the time only when the engine and tranny are I guess cold.

I tried doing research first but was unsuccesful and only found turbo dsm tranny threads and thats a whole different subject and other problems where tranny would be stuck on 1st or they would'nt accel after 20 mph but thats not what my problem is.

anyone?

Check the TPS to see if its set correctly..Take off the cover and check the TCU for a burnt board.. Does it go into overdrive ?
All auto DSM transmissions are identical as far as troubleshooting goes....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back