The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

what should i use for MTF

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96talon420a

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 9, 2012
billings, Montana
I am in the process of pulling my tranny and am wondering what kind of fluid or oil viscosity i should use to fill it
I was told i could use motor oil 15w-30 would that work or do i need manufactures MTF?
--=--96 talon base 420a FWD manual-----

You should use the search button. You would find that the NVT350 Requires NVT 350 MTX fluid due to its paper syncro's. You would have also read how Redline MTL and Syncromesh are the only substitutable Fluids. The search function works really really well for things that have been coverd MOre then a million times.

Mopar nvt350 Fluid.
Its about 18$ per qt , and you will need 2. Your welcome.

If your removing the Clutch or Flywheel, remeber, those bolts should be replaced.. A dealer will be able to get them for you.

I like to use the OEM Mopar fluid.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I got it from the Chrysler dealership.
But a lot of people seem to have good luck running ATF, as strange as it sounds.
You should have searched, this question seems to come up every other week.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420a-bolt-tech/387510-what-420a-manual-transmission-fluid-can-i-use.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420a-bolt-tech/374258-how-change-tranny-oil-what-use.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420a-bolt-tech/351793-recommended-transmission-fluid-my-95-eclipse-gs-dealer.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealer might tell you its been superceded by ATF+4. Been running ATF+4 in mine for 6 years with no troubles.

Mopar NV-T350 specific fluid or Chrysler ATF+4 are THE ONLY recommended fluids for your transmission.
If your removing the Clutch or Flywheel, remeber, those bolts should be replaced.. A dealer will be able to get them for you.
I'm not following this since the N/T 2g clutch is a modular unit where the clutch/PP/flywheel are all one piece and and don't physically bolt to the crank.

What bolts are you referring to?

:dsm:

What..??? The flywheel uses 8 Bolts to bolt to the crank, and then the clutch uses 4 to bolt to the Flywheel.. Those are the bolts im talking about.. 4 + 8.. The 4 should really be changed, the 8 are at your discretion..

USE ATF+4 at your own risk, some have been fine, some havent. Go with something proven.. Not sure why anyone would chance, it since NV actually came out and said that the switch was to save money.. ATF+4 placed 5th or 6th on the list of fluids to use in the trans.. NVT 350 fluid placed 2nd. Study done by New Venture themselves..

Gotcha. I thought you were referring to the 4 bolts holding the flywheel to the flexplate, thanks for clearing that up.

EDIT: While I'm in here I thought I'd mention that filling the trans from the reverse light switch location is 10x easier than trying to fill it up from the driver side wheel well. I made a mess and wasted about 2 hours trying to do it. Just pull the rubber plug so you don't overfill then come at it from the top!

:dsm:

You should use the search button. You would find that the NVT350 Requires NVT 350 MTX fluid due to its paper syncro's. You would have also read how Redline MTL and Syncromesh are the only substitutable Fluids. The search function works really really well for things that have been coverd MOre then a million times.

Mopar nvt350 Fluid.
Its about 18$ per qt , and you will need 2. Your welcome.

I tried to use the search typing in what ever I could think of that had "MTF" in my question, (what to use for MTF, 420a MTF, tranny fluid) and nothing ever came up for those so I created this thread
-Thanks for the replys I will definatley go get some NVT 350

Lol, idk what MTF is.. LOL, trans fluid or nvt 350 would have worked. Its all good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back