The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need help, 2gb brake line removal from proportioning valve to driver side rear(pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalesmitsu

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2006
North Canton, Ohio
I have a 1998 eclipse NT RS :( I finished replacing my rear drum hardware, shoes and wheel cylinders for each side. When I went to bleed the brake system I noticed my drivers rear brake line above the flex hose (its a 3/16 steel brake line) has a nice size hole due to road salt rust/ corrsion living in ohio's snow belt region.
I went a bought 12ft of 3/16 brake line to cut out the bad replace it with good, but then my relative told me to replace the whole brake line from the proportioning valve to drivers side rear.

I crawled under the car, with flash light I followed the brake line from drivers rear to this prop valve. Notice, it goes between the trunk and gas tank, then meets with fuel line and other brake line for the rights side. In total there are four lines, run along passgenger side to the engine bay.

Here's a diagram taken from Chilton book 2ga 2gb Eclipse/Talon.

First is the propotioning valve.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Note# 1 is the brake line to drivers rear that needs replaced.

Second, this the brake system routing for the eclipse/talon Non turbo an maybe Gst.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Note: the red mark on rear brake line thats one with a hole in the line.

My question, Could I remove this brake line from the propotioning valve without removing the intake? I can reach back there, I sprayed the line and bolt bracket holding the line to the firewall with wd40 soak in overnight/weekend. Is easy or pita to remove this brake line which runs along passenger side.

Has aynone replaced there's before, whats your view opinon when you did.

dale

You kind of answered your own question. You said you can reach back there. If you can then go for it but you make more room for wrench work then Yes you should remove the intake then you have plenty of room.
The problem with those lines that run to the rear is they run between the passenger under body and front subframe. So removing the old line could be easy if you cut it and pull it out but installing a new one will be a PITA.

Just realized this few days ago.

I've come to the decision, remove the intake manifold upper that connects to the ( TB ) throttlebody and safely reach this brake line to the prop. valve.
Instead cutting my hand and swearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back