The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The 1.8 4G37 TO 2.0 4G63 swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sYnOnYx

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 24, 2005
Las Vegas, Nevada
We should sticky this when done........

ive searched alot.

and noone can ever give straight answers about the swap.

is there anyone out there that has actually done the swap ? and maybe give us a lil write-up on it ? ?

id love to swap , only thing i really cant find info about is the wiring and how it would connect up.

plz help fellow DSMers

I guess noone knows ? ? ? ?

from my knowledge i dont think that you have to change any wiring everything should plug right up.....the only thing you might have to change is the ECU....
but ummm if you do change it lemme know i'll take that motor off your hands

everything has to be changed .. the engine wireharness has to be changed because of the diferent connections and more sensors and the ecu too, those for sure have to be changed, engine mounts also if the engine doesn't come with them..

is there a specific reason you dont wanna go with 4g63t?..i mean if your gonna go through the trouble of a 1.8 to 2.0 swap...y wouldnt u want to go turbo? i have been wanting to do this to my car...but everyone says its not possible or it costs way too much. but i figure, even if it costs you a lil more to do that swap, you'll be saving money with insurance. but im new here, so dont take my word for it. i have heard of ppl doing 1.8 to 2.0 swaps fine, but then i hear ppl saying its really difficult.

i like n/a power , i already have a turbo'd 280zx......

im planning on some kind of mitsu-all motor project.

plus , i can get a 4g63 for $400 w/ 30k on it....

a 4g63t , about $1200 ... :(

ive heard the mounts are the same, trannies are too. but the flywheel has to be changed.

only thing , i cant get straight is the wiring part. i know a new ecu and engine bay harness is needed. BUT , how does it connect up to the dash harness to give the ecu power ? if thats the case , i could wire the 12+ and ACC+ to the ecu up easy, but im sure theres more wires needed.

OK im doing the same swap to ...correct me if im wrong here we go > wiring harness
> engine
> ecu
>drive axles from turbo or can i use N/A
>New flywheel from turbo and is
true about trans. in 1.8 having weaker gears
> dash is all plug in right
> motor mounts on the engine side from 2.0
> exhaust downpipe and back

And what about A/C
thanks for any help us 1.8 ppl need some help from dsm gods

honestly, i have thought about doing a swap for quite a long time now, but finally realized that it would be alot easier and cheaper to just buy a stock turbo dsm. why go through all that hazzle and money, when getting a turbo dsm is much easier. hopefully, my dream will come true. ive been saving up money and it looks like im getting closer to buying a 1g turbo dsm. and then ill be using my 1.8L for my dd. :p but thats just what i think about this subject.

I did the swap myself about a year ago. From 1.8L to 2.0L N/T

Understand one thing, dont buy 1990 car parts if you own a 91-94 DSM.

First of all the swap is not difficult. Make sure you own a car manual, like Haynes, etc...
Makes the job a whole lot easier.

Things I needed to complete the swap.
-ECU and Engine harness
-Drivers side motor mount
-Alternator, cuase the one from the 1.8 doesnt fit
-Intake pipe and MAF sensor

The transmission will bolt on to the 2.0L N/T engine and you are able to use the same axles.

Damn thanks a real reply and thats what i was thinking that it wasnt that hard :thumb:

I am in the middle of doing this swap right now, with a nice low mileage JDM engine for my '94 GS auto. The A/C comp bracket is different, but engine mounts appear to be the same. Just ordered an ECU from an online site for $125 and am looking for the harness now. Does anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price? Nothing from the 1.8 wiring will plug in...

Ult

Correction, the rear motor mount bracket *is* different. On the 1.8, the mounting bosses for this bracket are offset, one is about 1/4" taller than the other. The 2.0L bosses are both equal in height.

ive heard it wasnt hard you jus have to change the wiring harness .. i dunno about you but i hate wires.. sooo i just turboed mine no wires involved :p

brian 1.8turbo.. :dsm:

Hey guys, I've got my 1.8L out (finally) and I'm wondering if I should put the 2.0L in before I take out the old 1.8L harness, or should I do it after? I'm moving soon so I need to get the motor in b4 I tow it to the new house (next week). One more thing, would anyone have a VIN I could use to order a new 2.0L wiring harness from a 94 talon (I have an eclipse, but the engine is from a talon) ? thanks guys.

~John

i mite be able to get you the wiring harness from a 93 eclipse 2.0 n/t My brother is doing a swap to a 6bolt turbo in his car and is swap the wiring and everything over. He even has the stock ecu if you need it still let me know and I will get you a price for the wiring and ecu or just the wiring harness. later.

93gskid said:
i mite be able to get you the wiring harness from a 93 eclipse 2.0 n/t My brother is doing a swap to a 6bolt turbo in his car and is swap the wiring and everything over. He even has the stock ecu if you need it still let me know and I will get you a price for the wiring and ecu or just the wiring harness. later.

That would be awsome, but I was told that the years of the engines and harnesses have to be the same, mine is a 94 eagle talon 2.0, not sure a 93 would be adequate. It's ok though I found a harness for 75 at a local scrap heap hehe, thanks for your help though. ^^.

O, and guys, the harness part, after you just, cool down and start doing it, isn't nearly as bad as it looks, just, time consuming ^^ (i'm doing it right now xD).
~Vert

dont forget tranny bc its atleast my understanding that the 2.0 tranny does not bolt up to the 1.8

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back