The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

can a car drive with a bent valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapki

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2004
mentor, Ohio
like it says can a car be driven with a bent valve. its a 1g head. if it cant what is the average price to fix this problem

It depends on how bad the valve is bent. Most likely not and the cylinder will be dead, this is caused by the valve not seating and building up compression. Pull the spark plug out and do a compression test. Then depending on the results you can go from there. Well a valve is about $8 and and not that hard to replace, but who knows what kind of damage there is. Why do you think you have a bent valve?

A bent valve is not making contact around the full periphery of the seat, and will quickly melt at that point.

Attachments

• burnt.JPG
    burnt.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,874
thnaks for the replies, i dont have bent valve. i am looking at another gsx to buy for daily driving ad it has a bent valve. so there is potentially more damage? if so then ill not even bother with it.

I think you can drive on a bent valve- keyword "a". But if you think you have one don't be stupid and keep trying to drive. Chances are 7 more will go maybe even 16 in my case!! I even messed up 2 pistons from floating the valves. Not a pretty site when you take that head off.

I recommend that if you can get it at a decent price, buy it..Don't drive it until you replace the valves though. Heck you can look on the classifieds here and probably find a nice turbo head for pretty cheap

Josh :dsm:

I had the same problem, when the guy I bought it from replaced the timing belt he didnt line up the cam gear marks and had 1 gear off by a tooth. Valves hit piston but not enough to really mess it up just light scratches on the piston which was smoothed out with a dremel and as for the head valve guides need to be replaced because you could "rock" the valves back n fourth. I had to drive with bad valve guides for about a week and deal with annoyances like valve tapping and oil burning but dont drive like i did, it really annoys the people around you when you take off and leave them in a cloud of smoke.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back