1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

can a car drive with a bent valve

Posted by sapki, Jul 9, 2005
Cylinder Head & Short Block - 4G63 cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, 6-bolt swaps, hybrids, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

1. sapki

sapki Awaiting Email Verification

mentor, Ohio
    like it says can a car be driven with a bent valve. its a 1g head. if it cant what is the average price to fix this problem

2. TFFC

TFFC Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Chino, California
    It depends on how bad the valve is bent. Most likely not and the cylinder will be dead, this is caused by the valve not seating and building up compression. Pull the spark plug out and do a compression test. Then depending on the results you can go from there. Well a valve is about $8 and and not that hard to replace, but who knows what kind of damage there is. Why do you think you have a bent valve?

3. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
    A bent valve is not making contact around the full periphery of the seat, and will quickly melt at that point.

Attached Files:

4. DSMJim

DSMJim Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    It will drive for a little while, but your not going to put 10,000 miles on it or anything.

5. sapki

sapki Awaiting Email Verification

mentor, Ohio
    thnaks for the replies, i dont have bent valve. i am looking at another gsx to buy for daily driving ad it has a bent valve. so there is potentially more damage? if so then ill not even bother with it.

6. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
    Ah. Chances are about none that it has a bent valve. Count on at least four, and more likely eight, from jumped timing.

7. philly90tsi

philly90tsi Proven Member

philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    I think you can drive on a bent valve- keyword "a". But if you think you have one don't be stupid and keep trying to drive. Chances are 7 more will go maybe even 16 in my case!! I even messed up 2 pistons from floating the valves. Not a pretty site when you take that head off.

8. DSMcrazy3

DSMcrazy3 N/T DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Humble, Texas
    I recommend that if you can get it at a decent price, buy it..Don't drive it until you replace the valves though. Heck you can look on the classifieds here and probably find a nice turbo head for pretty cheap

Josh :dsm:

9. TOPDSM

TOPDSM Proven Member

West Palm Beach, Florida
    I had the same problem, when the guy I bought it from replaced the timing belt he didnt line up the cam gear marks and had 1 gear off by a tooth. Valves hit piston but not enough to really mess it up just light scratches on the piston which was smoothed out with a dremel and as for the head valve guides need to be replaced because you could "rock" the valves back n fourth. I had to drive with bad valve guides for about a week and deal with annoyances like valve tapping and oil burning but dont drive like i did, it really annoys the people around you when you take off and leave them in a cloud of smoke.