The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

my new 2.4 gt4088r build (with dyno sheet)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the responses :thumb:

the compressor map i was looking at on the Garrett website looks like about 70lb min. That being said there are a few people who have made more than 700 hp. I know Tim Zimmer being one of them. As for the boost i will probably not take it past 30 psi. that is a guess though at this point because i will raise it up until the tune becomes unsafe. I am looking to make a little over 700 hp, so far i think i am on track, time will tell though.

On the GT4088R, the peak efficiency of the turbo is around 36-37psi on a 0.96 A/R housing with a 2.3L-2.4L setup. Past that you will start to see lower power gains, higher rpms from the turbo, lower efficiency, and more hot air. It also it substantially more reliable if you stay below 40psi. With that said, I ran mine between 30psi and 49psi for 3 years before it finally snapped the shaft at the compressor wheel.

This turbo was an absolute beast between 30-40psi. Get some race gas in it and check out how it does around the 36-37psi manifold absolute pressure.

I still think that this turbo can make 825AWHP with the right turbine housing and overall engine combination. The power you are making on your high compression E85 2.4L puts mine to shame as it was just a 2.3L 7-bolt with Eagle/Ross and a 0.96 A/R divided T4 housing with 93-octane and VP Q16 fuel depending on boost levels. I also ran really safe timing maps and know that more power was obtainable from it. You are making similar power levels to my old setup with 10psi less boost. All about efficiency!

Turn it up! It will be lots of fun! :hellyeah: :hellyeah: :hellyeah:

very good power. I made 621 at 30psi on a 2.4 on straight 93 with a JB 4294. It was a off the shelf wiseco piston/eagle rod combo. New 2.4 is getting custom wiseco hd, and some (safer) rods LOL.

please get that new daily driver you are talking about so we can turn up the boost. don't let me build my high compression 2.4l and beat you to the punch. you know i already have the gt40r sitting in my kitchen.:D

Thanks to every one with the nice replies. i know that i have not been on line in a while, i have been busy with holidays and work. I am starting to work on the small list of problems i want to sort out before retuning. I am going to start a new thread on it because i am stumped. i will link to it here once i write it. maybe you guys can help

1. I have no speedometer on the dash with the aem

2. The tachometer does not work properly, however works fine in the aem

3. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reprogram my innovative wide band for a second 0-5volt wide band out put. the default configuration is one wide band 0-5 and, a second 0-1 narrow band. i need the second wide band to do o2 feed back to the ecu.

here is the link to that thread if anyone has a clue on what to do? http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tun...25171-few-aem-ems-problems.html#post152852319

Last edited:
Congratulations man. I am very glad to see people interested in the question of high compression with E85.

Wow! That is a ton of power for 20 pounds! Im pretty sure if you get it up around 30-35 pounds you'll be over your 700whp mark. A guy I cruse with has an AWD spyder with a 2.4 stroker and a gt42r and he makes about 675whp on a conservative pump gas tune. He did tune it e85 once and get around 815whp but that car spools fairly slow. If he doesnt hit 2step, my buddys 275whp 16g car rapes it till about 60mph LOL

Wow! That is a ton of power for 20 pounds! Im pretty sure if you get it up around 30-35 pounds you'll be over your 700whp mark. A guy I cruse with has an AWD spyder with a 2.4 stroker and a gt42r and he makes about 675whp on a conservative pump gas tune. He did tune it e85 once and get around 815whp but that car spools fairly slow. If he doesnt hit 2step, my buddys 275whp 16g car rapes it till about 60mph LOL

And that guy you speak of might be the infamous Mario Lopez?

Congratulations man. I am very glad to see people interested in the question of high compression with E85.

yeah, there has been a lot of back and fourth about high compression on these boards. I really wanted this build to show what you can do if you optimize efficiency of the fuel in this case e-85. I have definitely caught my fair share of flack from people telling me there is nothing to gain and it is not worth it. The only down side i have seen so far is the lower torque and slightly lower spool then i was expecting. that being said without running lots of boost down low it is to be expected. for example: when you run 40PSI your waste gate is closed completely until probably about 36 psi. (this is just a example so please don't take it as truth since i do not have real numbers) which is 4 psi from target. were as when i only run 19 psi my waste gate starts to open at 15 psi. so it causes it to spool a little slower. since as all of us know it is much quicker to go from 20 psi to 30 psi than 0 psi to 20 psi. basically in a nut shell all i am trying to say is if i was running 30 psi it would spool probably faster than it does now or at least the same. but i love the increase in efficiency in the system from not having to run all that boost to make a good number.

I will be back from Japan Sunday. Hope you are ready to turn the boost up. Hope you got the Nitrous Express kit installed too. Screw the tach and speedo for now. Those will be easy to fix. We want to see 800hp and 650tq. 35psi and 125shots remember? Now that you got your daily driver, we want to see that car destroy some tranny parts.

I will be back from Japan Sunday. Hope you are ready to turn the boost up. Hope you got the Nitrous Express kit installed too. Screw the tach and speedo for now. Those will be easy to fix. We want to see 800hp and 650tq. 35psi and 125shots remember? Now that you got your daily driver, we want to see that car destroy some tranny parts.

thank you killer colt, encouraging as always. Remember i still want to drive the car a little before we blow it up. :p

as for more boost.. yes please :cool:

nice build...where did you get the 6 bolt 4g64 crank from?

i pulled a motor out of a 92 expo van which is a 4g64 6 bolt motor

quick update. it looks like the standard arp head studs cannot survive in this power range.. i have a new head gasket and map h11 extreme duty studs to replace it with. also the motor has about 100 miles on it and has finished sealing up and is now very lean from the original tune. this leads me to believe that the motor will make a lot more power on the same boost as last time.

that motor is sex... FINALLY someone with high compression.. im next on the list

if your engine is really 13:1... which it looks like the pistons are maybe -3cc.. which should put you over 12.. then i feel like a wuss only going 11:1...:( granted the pistons i have are custom manley's that i bought brand new for 400... cant argue about that.. also im going with an aluminum rod..so...one thing.. do you know how much your pistons weigh?

if your engine is really 13:1... which it looks like the pistons are maybe -3cc.. which should put you over 12.. then i feel like a wuss only going 11:1...:( granted the pistons i have are custom manley's that i bought brand new for 400... cant argue about that.. also im going with an aluminum rod..so...one thing.. do you know how much your pistons weigh?

Not sure but i can find the card and check for you :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back