The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

How to quiet down my exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fulanititoo8198

15+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2004
YeaRight, Florida
I am wondering what will quiet down the exhaust the most. An aftermarket muffler (I doubt it), A stock muffler (I was considering using an evo muffler and welding the 3" line to it), or making my own silencer ( such as the typical rice can muffler silencers) and stuffing it in the pipe.

What I have is 3" line with a 3" cat no muffler. I would like to go as quiet as possible I don't care about flow what so ever. It can flow less than stock for all I care I just need it to stfu for as cheap as possible.

Please reply based on experience not guessing

Thanks

Get one of those in line flowmaster, and weld the rest with 3 inch pipe to the back. Basically like your evo idea. Should cost about 80 bucks.

James :laser::talon:

I would look through here and find that you're looking for:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-video-links/137124-post-exhaust-clips-here.html

Do you still have your stock exhaust? You could run that with a manual, boost, or electric cutout. I run the old RS*R 3" with cat. It has 2 resonators and a big muffler. I have made test pipes to replace the resonators, the cat, or the muffler or any combo. The resonators with the cat and no muffler sounds the best to me except it gets loud if I drive on longer trips. If you are looking for the quietest setup, I would put a big muffler in there. I have only used the RS*R so I can't really recommend any other specific muffler.

Seth

If your looking for all out quietness I would sugest using a couple resignators and then a chambered muffler.

I ran an open stock downpipe, no cat, with just a cheap Rapter muffler and it was pretty quiet for the most at cruising.

Get a muffler with a removable silencer. I have the Megan N1 style muffler, and its the best of both worlds. Leave the silencer in and you get ~30% noise reduction as well as better low-end torque response because of the restriction. Or take it out when you need all your top-end or just want to roar around :thumb:

my friend has a magnaflow 3in muffler and is pissed because it is too quiet.

That's easy. Get rid of your 3" catback, bolt a stock catback to it, and get a 3" QTP electronic cut out.

This was my original plan a stock exhaust system but its been about 2-3 months searching for one and I have not found one. If you know of any let know.

Chepest way out for Quiet.. a 3" inlet and duel 2" outlets made by fkowmaster. get the 3 chamber and a New High flow cat, check the CFM rating on them, higher the better, but lso a tad bit louder. I think you will be pleasently suprised.

the Cut out is Cheaper, but the SMog nazis might give ya grief.
Your electric cutout
QTP - QTEC Electric Cutout :thumb:

Hook it to a RPm trigger or Boost Trigger, Maybe even a WOT switch usded for niitrous kits.

I think~ we have a few Supporting vendors that carry both, and possibly in a Kit for.
here is the Ypipe needed fr the cutout. or Fab your own,
Hedman Quick-Eze Exhaust Cutouts - summitracing.com

This was my original plan a stock exhaust system but its been about 2-3 months searching for one and I have not found one. If you know of any let know.

I got my cutout from here http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm
After my 3in dp and E-cutout i have a 2.5in catback going into stock muffler...
You dont need stock pipeing, and id actually not recommend throwing something that
small onto your car, its pretty restrictive.
I have a stock muffler id sell you if you were interested, its for a 1g though.

If you want to be creative and get more flow out of your setup with the cutout in closed position but still have the quietness... Something i thought of, try a muffler from a stock car that you know flows more than our old dsm stock mufflers...

Like a stock evo9 muffler, or sti muffler for example... Quiet, but still managed to flow decent. I was thinking of going this route... Theres a handful of well tuned Sti's laying down a little over 300awhp on stock muffler and piping with just a upgraded dp while still being on their stock turbos.... Just a thought.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back