The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Whats this noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboTesh

Proven Member
Jun 9, 2016
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Not sure what this noise is. Only does it when warm. Cant tell if coming from engime, timing side or turbo. I have gotten a few puffs of smoke lately, but searching "dieing turbo" this sound never showed up.
Alternator replaced. So its not that.
112k stock motor with recent timing side. All belts have proper tension.

Thoughts? Anyone had a similar sound?

Clip:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know exactly what that noise is LOL or atleast it sound dam near the same. If you have a catch can check the plumbing and make sure you have them hooked up right. My problem was that I was pressurizing the valve cover and crank case. You need to make sure your pcv goes into the can and that you have vacuum from the catch can to the turbos inlet. I drove like this for a month or so till I questioned why I was getting smoke puffing under boost and oil seeping out of gaskets. Try this I'm sure this the problem with out s doubt. Fixed mine up in minutes buddy and me thought it was a balance shaft. Let me know if it works and give me a like if it does

Thanks for the input, I can check it tomorrow. I have a check valve hooked up inline with the PCV though, and my little catch can is routed from the valve cover to the intake pipe. It also only does this at idle (750-1400 RPM in my case) , and fades with RPM.

Thanks for the input, I can check it tomorrow. I have a check valve hooked up inline with the PCV though, and my little catch can is routed from the valve cover to the intake pipe. It also only does this at idle (750-1400 RPM in my case) , and fades with RPM.

It will only do it at idle because the intake mani isn't producing enough vaccume If not any at all. So once you open the wicked gates aka the throttle you get the vaccume you need otherwise it's just sitting pressurizing the system. Only way I know how to fix this is to take an inlet to the turbos charge pipe or possible using a catch can that has he filter incorporated into it and not applying vaccume at all. I'm almost 100% this is your problem cause I had the exact sound. Let me know if it works tomorrow

Wait... I'm quite confused. you (*Slobonator4g63) claim the intake manifold isn't under (producing) vacuum at idle?
I'd just like to clarify what you're saying.

OP, what IS your catch can setup like, can you take some pics? I do agree that the sound seems like it could be air in the crank case, but not pressure, especially at idle.

It does also seem like a rubbing/grinding noise as well, does it vary with clutch application? Is the crank pulley rubbing the front cover at all?

Wait... I'm quite confused. you (*Slobonator4g63) claim the intake manifold isn't under (producing) vacuum at idle?
I'd just like to clarify what you're saying.

OP, what IS your catch can setup like, can you take some pics? I do agree that the sound seems like it could be air in the crank case, but not pressure, especially at idle.

It does also seem like a rubbing/grinding noise as well, does it vary with clutch application? Is the crank pulley rubbing the front cover at all?
If I had my car I could replicate the noise in a second. what was happening on my system was I ran both hoses from my valve cover to my catch can and then one to evacuate the system witch went to the intake manifold . Just like stock how ever at an idle the car would make that exact sound. Me it that my car is near the service limit. So as soon as I re routed my vaccume that went to the manifold and took it to constant vaccume via turbo it was perfect. Noise went away check your plumbing. I'm sure this is your problem.

The intake manifold isn't producting as much vaccume under idle condition. That when the car is at a higher rpm his noise goes away. But returns when the car is back at operating temperature. I know it sounds werid and me and my buddy were convinced I ruined a bearing.as soon as I switched the line from the catch can to the turbos intake charge side it was good as new

I work till 5, then I will investigate further. Any idea why it only does it when warmed up after about 20 min? Last I checked I was getting -20ish for vacuum at the IM during idle conditions.

I'll report back later on my findings.

I cant say for sure how ever my thoughts are clearances are a lot looser. when cold and it slips past the internals once warm. first check your catch can lines and then look at the harmonic balancer as @PlanZero has mentioned but it does sound exactly like my issue.

Its the PCV system! Pull the tube going to the intake and poof, its gone! Now i have to figure out how to plumb a proper catch can setup... its definitely whats screwing with my idle too.

Attached is a pic from tnight. Filthy but happy because she got a black leather interior swap nearly completed.

Attachments

• 20170626_201133.jpg
    20170626_201133.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 71
nice man glad to here, should take care of your puffs of smoke too LOL. that was my relief when I fixed my system LOL didn't look like a mosquito fogger for half a block under hard boost. it was quite funny tracking it because towards the last 1/4 mile it the car disappeared.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back