The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Do I have an FP 68HTA TD06SL2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah sorry for liability reasons we can't make a modification like that to a "used" turbo. No matter what happens if that turbo fails after we do the upgrade it's going to be our fault, so we only do it if we rebuild the turbo at the same time so we know exactly what's going on.

-Michael

Makes sense to me! Nice to see FP taking the time and replying to this thread in a professional manner.:thumb:

This is why FP is my top choice for turbos.
Absolutely LOVED my fp green. Wish I hadn't let that go with my old car. i believe with the new owner it has well over 30k miles now at 450-550whp. Last i talked to him the turbo was still great.

When I can afford an upgrade it'll definitely be another FP

The DSM HTA68 has been 51mm inducer since it came out as per this thread:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/379140-hta68-pics-those-who-curious.html

The EVO HTA71 has a 71mm exducer per this thread (defies logic why the DSM "71" would use the 68mm wheel??)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/440969-hta68-vs-hta-green-6.html#post153038304

Really glad to know this, i always wondered why my car with a 2.3l and a hotpipe had such a horrible spool up with a crazy top end. That would definitely explain why it felt like a bigger turbo.

No matter which wheel/housing variant you've got, "horrible spool" would be the last thing that comes to mind, especially on a 2.3!

Last edited:
About 2 years ago we quietly changed the compressor wheel from a 49/68 wheel to a 51/68 wheel which uses the inducer spec from the 71HTA wheel with the 68HTA exducer.

Really glad to know this, i always wondered why my car with a 2.3l and a hotpipe had such a horrible spool up with a crazy top end. That would definitely explain why it felt like a bigger turbo.

But can definitely see the autox guys not being too excited about that.

The DSM HTA68 has been 51mm inducer since it came out as per this thread:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/379140-hta68-pics-those-who-curious.html

The EVO HTA71 has a 71mm exducer per this thread (defies logic why the DSM "71" would use the 68mm wheel??)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/440969-hta68-vs-hta-green-6.html#post153038304

Bingo I knew I heard this numerous times before and I wasnt going crazy. I feel as though I'm being thought of as an idiot or hater when it seems the other side might be guilty of misrepresenting their products. I hope I'm not coming across as a dick to the guys at fp but I don't like misinformation about expensive "top of the line best in the market" parts. I'm going to measure mine when i get a chance and if its not 71mm I will def be let down

If I do have a 68mm wheel I would rather spend my money else wear.... Since most of these turbo parts are being made in Asia and not Japan (fp as well now) i would rather just grab a 14b with genuine mhi chra, get it machined for an extended tip 20g, use proper thrust hardware fot big boost and use a 06 wheel in a 7cm housing and have a bad bi*** of a turbo that will flow close to the mid 50s for less than half the price

Once again guys at fp I'm not trying to be a dick and I'm greatful for all the support I have gotten and I am actually happy with my 71 cough cough 68hta with a downfiring housing (car is trapping high 120s full weight) but this thread is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.

Damn. My original post asking to upgrade my 51/68 wheel was correct then, I should have looked that thread up with the measurements that Jus put up. So, did the HTA68 wheel really change or did the flow increase get bumped due to the bigger 8cm hotside?

The HTA71 MUST have a bigger compressor wheel, I think Michael just got it confused with the 68. The Evo HTA71 has a 51/71 wheel which would make sense given its name, so the same could probably be said for the DSM HTA71. Also, you're saying that the car's trapping high 120's in the quarter full weight which would be a HUGE stretch if it were in fact the same turbo as a HTA68 with a different compressor housing.

This is what I'm assuming.
- The HTA68 never had a compressor wheel upgrade and it always has been a 51/68.
- The HTA68's advertised airflow went from 47lb/m to 51lb/m because FP went to a 8cm hotside.
- The DSM HTA71 has the same size compressor wheel as the Evo HTA71 which specs are 51/71 per the FP website, which I can't confirm since the only link I can find to the DSM version of it is dead.​
Logically thinking, that's the only thing that makes sense.

:dsm:

Also remember now that the holsets are blowing up the turbo market, you can have a super high quality, built for the diesel industry turbo for way less. I hate them but it seems like the quality and longevity of them is making up for the issues I Have with them compared to other

I didn't think it was some big secret, but essentially every off the shelf turbo was designed for a diesel application and repurposed for high performance. Most components in custom turbo were also designed for diesel applications, a few custom compressors being the exception.

To give you an example, Borg Warner's "high performance" s300 variations? I had one about 3 years before they came out. It was built for a case tractor. It was actually a shxwitzer. When they were bought out, they rebranded these as Borg Warner's and sold them As the next big thing in import performance. The story is still very much the same today.

The HTA71 MUST have a bigger compressor wheel, I think Michael just got it confused with the 68. The Evo HTA71 has a 51/71 wheel which would make sense given its name, so the same could probably be said for the DSM HTA71. Also, you're saying that the car's trapping high 120's in the quarter full weight which would be a HUGE stretch if it were in fact the same turbo as a HTA68 with a different compressor housing.

- The HTA68 never had a compressor wheel upgrade and it always has been a 51/68.
- The HTA68's advertised airflow went from 47lb/m to 51lb/m because FP went to a 8cm hotside.
- The DSM HTA71 has the same size compressor wheel as the Evo HTA71 which specs are 51/71 per the FP website, which I can't confirm since the only link I can find to the DSM version of it is dead.

heres a picture of the evo 9 hta71 I have.. evo 8/9 has never used the hta 68 moniker.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Damn. My original post asking to upgrade my 51/68 wheel was correct then, I should have looked that thread up with the measurements that Jus put up. So, did the HTA68 wheel really change or did the flow increase get bumped due to the bigger 8cm hotside?

- The DSM HTA71 has the same size compressor wheel as the Evo HTA71 which specs are 51/71 per the FP website, which I can't confirm since the only link I can find to the DSM version of it is dead.​

My car has full supporting mods as well as a few tricks to get a mph or two out of it aero wise and a few hp tricks that many Dsm guys don't seen to know about, im also running a holset internal wg actuator and prob overspinning it...But ya we will see what I measure next time I have my turbo off. I will let everybody knoe

I didn't think it was some big secret, but essentially every off the shelf turbo was designed for a diesel application and repurposed for high performance. Most components in custom turbo were also designed for diesel applications, a few custom compressors being the exception.

To give you an example, Borg Warner's "high performance" s300 variations? I had one about 3 years before they came out. It was built for a case tractor. It was actually a shxwitzer. When they were bought out, they rebranded these as Borg Warner's and sold them As the next big thing in import performance. The story is still very much the same today.

I don't consider all of these new kinugawa/Kawasaki south Asian casting items to be as reliable as holsets, borgs and mhi units but that's just me

From what I have read most the tiawan stuff is fairly good quality but at such a lower cost to the turbo builders I have a problem paying the same price

True diesel turbos speak for them selfs with 300-400k of hard abused miles.

heres a picture of the evo 9 hta71 I have.. evo 8/9 has never used the hta 68 moniker.

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting the pic man

I don't consider all of these new kinugawa/Kawasaki south Asian casting items to be as reliable as holsets, borgs and mhi units but that's just me

From what I have read most the tiawan stuff is fairly good quality but at such a lower cost to the turbo builders I have a problem paying the same price

True diesel turbos speak for them selfs with 300-400k of hard abused miles.

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting the pic man

Well obviously the Taiwanese crap is a knockoff of other designs, but old t4 framed turbos, gt turbos, Borg, Mhi turbos, holset, kkk, rayjay, Detroit, these are all designed for Diesel engine applications and repurposed for high performance gasoline.

I never said the Evo's ever used/had the HTA68 but, that photo proves that the Evo HTA71's specs on the FP website are wrong and they actually do use a 68 wheel which is a bit misleading.

I never said the Evo's ever used/had the HTA68 but, that photo proves that the Evo HTA71's specs on the FP website are wrong and they actually do use a 68 wheel which is a bit misleading.

"A bit misleading" is FAR more kind than I'd describe what's going on based on this thread.

If you go back through the EVO forums, it's not hard to find threads from when FP had the White (where the DSM HTA68 wheel originated). Then, the HTA71 came out and everyone was excited by the upgrade, there are posts/quotes from FP showing gains over the White, etc. From what's going on here it's my assumption that at one point they did make a true 71mm exducer wheel (at least for the EVO), and at some point they ran out or merged product lines with the 68mm stuff and figured they flow so close why bother telling anyone. If there are a bunch of 68mm DSM HTA71s floating around out there, I'm surprised nobody's caught it before now. It's not uncommon to remove the compressor housing to re-clock, take pics, and measure it while it's off.

"A bit misleading" is FAR more kind than I'd describe what's going on based on this thread.

If you go back through the EVO forums, it's not hard to find threads from when FP had the White (where the DSM HTA68 wheel originated). Then, the HTA71 came out and everyone was excited by the upgrade, there are posts/quotes from FP showing gains over the White, etc. From what's going on here it's my assumption that at one point they did make a true 71mm exducer wheel (at least for the EVO), and at some point they ran out or merged product lines with the 68mm stuff and figured they flow so close why bother telling anyone. If there are a bunch of 68mm DSM HTA71s floating around out there, I'm surprised nobody's caught it before now. It's not uncommon to remove the compressor housing to re-clock, take pics, and measure it while it's off.
EXACTLY what my thoughts are on what is going on here

I would not expect this from fp... Anybody else possibly but not the "best" in the biz. Maybe its time to put the kool aid down.

If I wasnt so damn lazy I would go check mine right now....

My measurements:

CW Measurements - 51.2MM Inducer / 68.0MM Exducer
TW Measurements - 64.8MM Inducer / 55.0MM Exducer (11 blades)

And you have a Dsm "71hta"?

In that other thread Michael claimed 71mm for Dsm 71hta and I was also told over the phone by a fp employee it was 71mm when I placedmg order.

Are you implying that they are sharing wheels from the evolution lineup to the dsm? They spin the opposite direction and are not compatible.

No matter which wheel/housing variant you've got, "horrible spool" would be the last thing that comes to mind, especially on a 2.3!

Don't know what else to say about that, other than i have a video of it holding +30 psi in 4th gear at the traps with a ported head and gcs s2's. All i know, is no matter what i did to the tune it could not get better than 28 psi @ 4.65k or 30 psi @ 4.8k while pulling like a raped ape out the top.

On the exact same setup, evoIII 16g was spiking way +30 boost @3.5k but only with a huge torque hit too.

Just sharing my results, is all.

Don't know what else to say about that, other than i have a video of it holding +30 psi in 4th gear at the traps with a ported head and gcs s2's. All i know, is no matter what i did to the tune it could not get better than 28 psi @ 4.65k or 30 psi @ 4.8k while pulling like a raped ape out the top.

On the exact same setup, evoIII 16g was spiking way +30 boost @3.5k but only with a huge torque hit too.

Mark,

You think a 2mm difference on the wheel with a 05h turbine is going to change the performance that much? I wouldn't believe those numbers with an 05h if it had a 102mm compressor. The 2.3 makes it even more laufhable. Either some issue was effecting your performance, or you stopped taking your meds and are having delisions again. Seeing as how I remember your rascist, fundamentalist, 5000 year old earth ranting from back in the day, I'm thinking it may be the medication.

Something is wrong with your setup. My car spools a red to 30 psi by 4500 with a 2.0. The red is a hta76 with a heavily clipped td06h turbine.

Yeah, you are probably right. However, i have spoken with one of the locals that ran his hta68 to an 11.1@125 and he said that on the street he was getting 28 psi @ 4800 rpm in 3rd gear. He was a 2.3l auto but with no exhaust wheel clip, so i think it does make it somewhat comparable.

That is pretty good what you say, if you can really spool 30 psi @ 4500 rpm on a 3076 with a 2.0l and a heavy clip.:hellyeah:

Everyone is really really really really really really over complicating and reading way too much in to this.

1. The website has a typo the 71HTA for EVO 9 should be listed as a 68MM instead of 71MM. That is a mistake and I have just rectified it to list the exducer size to be listed as 68MM.

2. The reason for the bump in flow from 48LB to 51LB a minute is because the wheel was changed from a 49MM inducer to a 51MM inducer while retaining the 68MM exducer. This also happens to be the point where the EVO white became the 71HTA and the Subaru 68HTA became the 71HTA only the DSM model remained the same and was split 71HTA for the big cover and 68HTA for the small. The reason it's named the 71HTA and not 68HTA because it uses what we call a 7168HTA wheel. In which is has the inducer measurements of our 71MM wheel used in Garrett products and a 68MM exducer.

3. The reason there was a 71HTA for the DSM was because we had planned to retire the 68HTA monicker when we began using the new TW and stick with the 71HTA monicker like with the EVO and Subaru product. However we found that most people didn't understand the differences and it just caused confusion so it was removed and the 68HTA monicker was retained. Think New Coke vs. Coke Classic, we thought we had a good idea and as it turns out it wasn't so we undid it.

The measurements were just added to the website last week so I wouldn't be surprised if you catch a typo or two. If you see anything else that confuses you please let me know and I'll be happy to address them.

-Michael

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back