The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECUflash 99 ecu in a 97 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahjahSQC

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2008
Winder, Georgia
I had a friend give me a 99 gst ecu and told me it was a bolt in upgrade to my 97 gst ecu.

I know they can be programmed, i've seen the thread in the tuning subforum, but is there any benefit to just a swap with a stock 99 gst ecu?:idontknow:

thanks

Is his ecu an eprom unit or had the caps replaced? Im new to this and want to learn as much as possible. I wouldnt think there would be any advantage besides having a back up ecu.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

There is no direct benefit to just plugging in a 99 ecu in an earlier model. In fact you will throw a CEL for not having the second Evap sensor the 98/99 dsms have.

The advantage is you can flash it and unlock cool things like antilag timing and fuel table edits and injector scaling. But you have to flash it to get the advantages.

Only '95 ECU's were EPROM. The '98/'99 ECU's are in the black plastic cases and are reflashable (search for a thread by ceddy for more info).

There is no benefit for bolting in the ECU as is.

If you're looking for a tuning solution, you can send your '97 ECU into ECMTuning and have them convert it to EPROM so you can run ECMlink.

That, or use the 99 ECU and get a Tactrix cable and do your own tune flashing with Evoscan.

No problem. This dsm ECU flashing has alot of questions and it is the one area where I am proficient at so I like to make sure all the info i see on here is correct and accurate.

Trying to keep the site clean so people have one more reason to search.

This is not true. I'm currently running a 99 ecu in my 97 with 0 problems.

I have no idea how you are doing that. it is a fact there is a second evap sensor on the 98-99 eclipse. the 99 ecu should throw a code without the second sensor attached.

Was the ecu tuned before you put it in? Or did you turn off the solenoids in the periphery bits?

I have done 4 cars now. all 97 or earlier and every single one throws a evap code when you stick a 98/99 ecu in it.

Something is different about your setup.

As far as I know it has never been flashed and is still on the stock map.

And I haven't messed with it because I'm not sure what I need to do to be able to flash. I know I need the 2.0 cable, but for 97's don't you need to wire in another pin to the ecu?

This is not true. I'm currently running a 99 ecu in my 97 with 0 problems.

When it comes to EvoScan/Ecuflash, I know little to nothing but I'm also a 2nd case with this as well.

I had a 97 GST, then i got a 98 blackbox ECU, swapped it, and no CEL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back