The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

97 GSX 600hp Street/Drag/Restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximum9898

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
Macomb, Michigan
Well I've had this posted on dsmtalk for a while now, I just figured I'd share the beginning to end with tuners as-well. Now I might miss some of the pictures and details. But I'll post up a link to the other thread at the end of this. I'm not completely done with it yet. Have some tuning to do and misc. suspension. But other than that it is 98% done. It will probably never be "done" but it is very close to driving.:)
This is what it looked like when I had first started this build. It was very faded, had lots and lots of rock chips, and to many little dings to count. And a blown motor:banghead:

011-4_zps31e59f34.jpg

Anyway all of this really started when I had blown my stock motor with 170k on it. A few friends and I didn't really know why it blew at first. But after looking through logs through ecmlink. It was determined that my CAS sensor failed at roughly 6000rpm at 30psi on a holset he351ve variable geometry turbo. And with this it had knocked and bent a rod fairly bad, the worst I've seen on a blown motor. And that's pretty much where this begins.

027-1_zps9798b797.jpg

050-2_zpsbd047d2e.jpg

Here's the before/after of the motor when it was getting pulled. And at this time I still was unsure how bad the damage really was.

012-5_zpsfbf5c669.jpg

008-4_zps5c704cb4.jpg

009-3_zpscd3e8fd3.jpg

I had already blew the trans up a couple years ago. At that point I had sent it to shep and the diagnosis was the center diff exploded and wrecked a-lot of the trans. So I had them do the stage 3 and added a couple extra things as-well. So I guess what I would call it a stage 3.5. We'll that ended up blowing through the case 5,000 miles after. So called shep and they worked very professionally with me and rebuilt it for the cost of parts.

010-4_zpsd0a6d420.jpg

After I had taken the motor out I looked at the sub-frame and knew that it had to come and get cleaned up. And I always wanted to get rid of abs and I had finally ripped that out here as-well. Once all of that was pulled and I took a good look under-neath the car. I decided everything had to come down the rear sub-frame, gas tank, exhaust, abs, ect. The car was in a little bit worst shape than I thought it was.
051_zps62221fa2.jpg

047_zpsf47031e5.jpg

005-4_zpsc9905643.jpg

001-2_zps54cd0b68.jpg

005-2_zpsfb4ca80d.jpg

010-4_zps0b5753c7.jpg

And now here are all of the after pictures, Everything was painted gloss black and then cleared with automotive clear I had laying around.

008-2_zpsdd7cfd25.jpg

017-4_zps2f717a6c.jpg

019-4_zpse9fb179d.jpg

025-1_zps373ff12c.jpg

I also had done just a little bit of polishing on the back of the diff cover.
015-3_zps82420a6a.jpg

And After seeing everything off the car and the bottom getting prepped for under-body coating. I figured I should fix the rust that is on the car. And prep it for getting painted, which I've been trying to do for a few years now. When I started I figured I had just some rust on the rockers and that would be about it. Man did I think wrong, this car was covered in it. Behind the rear bumper, the whole rear end pretty much, including inside the rear trunk area. I had done part of the engine bay a couple winters ago. But the other side finally had poked it's way through. Since I was in their and I was already welding some stuff up. I stitch welded the bay up ground it down. Then through a little bit of body fill over everything so it would be nice and smooth.

030_zps4ffa3900.jpg

022-1_zps965b79a7.jpg

010-4_zpsb0cf018c.jpg

023-1_zpsdc6c71ba.jpg

Some of the rust that was removed in the process.
021_zpse8b58077.jpg

024-1_zpse17722fd.jpg

001-2_zps312486bf.jpg

009-2_zpsd27c148f.jpg

013-3_zpsd8817e5c.jpg

016-3_zpsaca0f633.jpg

My e-brake was always pretty crappy, so I went ahead and re-built them ground up. New cables, pads, stainless brake lines from proportioning valve to all four wheels. Braided stainless lines, e-brake spring kit, all the goodies but big brakes pretty much. I might upgrade in the coming years, I guess we'll see.

024-1_zps71a1bea5.jpg

026-1_zpsfc28f52a.jpg

IMG_0973_zpsb045a4ca.jpg

I had thermal R&D exhaust on the car for a few years now. I was getting tired of how it sounded and needed to get a change. I knew that I didn't want to go out of the front bumper. And I really didn't want to run exhaust all the way to the back either. So whats the next best thing to do when the front or back doesn't work. You guessed it I went through the side skirt on the drivers side of the car. But I didn't go underneath it, I went right on through it. It took a fair amount of fab to get it where I wanted. And have it not melt the gas tank, or burn up my bum when I'm driving down the road. And it was kinda convenient, the car had a good amount of rust their and it had to be cut out anyway.

041-1_zps019c93d8.jpg

045_zpsdd6146ce.jpg

034-2_zpsc0b8ab9f.jpg

059-1_zps421e2bd6.jpg

And finally after all the fabrication was done underneath the car. I went ahead and painted it all with rust inhibitor, then a layer of gloss black. Then I finally came through and laid a quick layer of clear over it all. Also did the gas tank shield at this time as-well.

041-1_zpsa1761fc4.jpg

029_zps6f22a791.jpg

And here are some of the parts that were purchased and installed on the car. All of these weren't purchased at the same time. I was placing order's throughout the whole build process.

015-3_zps694690ee.jpg

016-3_zpsae0f4aee.jpg

017-4_zps96f735cc.jpg

074_zps88c97b34.jpg

070_zpsaec581d2.jpg

011-3_zps99da736a.jpg

And like I said before I really wanted to paint the car. So off the local PPG painters supply I went, and bought myself some body work goodies.
004-2_zps0c609e8f.jpg

And along with that I had chosen a color that I had wanted. I was gonna go with a tealish color, but in the end I stayed white. But it was the brightest possible white that I was able to get from the painters supply. I'm not gonna bore you guys to death with me rambling about body work. So I'll just post in order a bunch of pictures of everything that came along.
017-4_zps329ee601.jpg

008-2_zps351ca9c5.jpg

009-2_zpsa26785ec.jpg

054_zps69ea3563.jpg

054_zps69ea3563.jpg

IMG_0978_zpsb03e4cfd.jpg

IMG_1025_zps0ded9369.jpg

060_zpsc857d0fb.jpg

077_zps07d426f3.jpg

075_zps3ab72e03.jpg

078_zps5a33a918.jpg

089_zps6658eae0.jpg

And here is how it is sitting right now, like I said previously it only needs a couple things to make it street worthy. And man am I freaking exciting to get this thing running.
022_zpsb4830600.jpg

024_zps270374a2.jpg

I'll post up the rest of the build tomorrow, I still have the engine build and some other shots as-well.

I have a clip from the first startup, ill try and get it posted later today when I get home.

Thank you. And a quick update, I worked in the car a bit over the weekend. And I got a lot of stuff wrapped up and I should be able to drive it tomorrow or the next day. Ill defiantly get a video or two of it running and driving. This will be the first time in about a year since it blew up that I'm going to be able to drive it. And I'm not gonna lie I'm pretty pumped to start driving it again.:)

Last edited:
Thanks man I put a lot of blood and sweat to get it where it's at. And yea I did all the wire tucking myself, I still have a long way to go. I really want to make a new harness. There is a lot of extra wires sitting everywhere and that's just more weigh to save. And the old wire is just brittle and it frays really easy.

And small update, but I have gotten the car mostly road worthy and driveable. I should have a video of the car running this weekend.

Well the video of it driving didn't happen this past weekend. Got everything ready and was lastly bleeding the brakes. And I found out my proportioning valve is junk, and one of my flares isn't seating right. So That's not to bad as I ran all new stainless steel brake lines to all four corners and from the master cylinder. Anway I have a proportioning valve on it's way already, so that should be the last thing to get this thing moving.
And here is a link to my original build thread on dsmtalk, there is more detail and in depth on that thread.
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238975&page=7

But I do have a video from the first start up a few weeks ago. The idle was bouncing between 350-500 in the video.
th_061_zps45d9a684.jpg

Well just wrapping up little odds and ends on the car. And just need to get my last parts I purchase in the mail, they should be here this weekend. I'm hoping it can be driven for the first time next week. But we'll see what happens and go from there.

I was able to get it dropped to the ground and pushed outside for the first time since its been painted. :hellyeah:

048_zps84f1f8d5.jpg
062_zps1f6d7969.jpg

And I also just picked up that Gem next to it for $300 dollars. It runs drives and rolls coal when I want it to LOL. Its a Mercedes 300d Turbo diesel.

I got a pretty good update, since the car was dropped on the ground I really realized how crappy my suspension was. The driver's side of the car was sitting five and three quarter inch's off the ground. And the passenger side was sitting just over six and a half inch's. So with that being said I went ahead and ordered me a set of Megan street series coil-over's. With that order was a new knock sensor because mine was toast.

Here are some comparison pictures and some pictures of them installed as-well. The red on these matched the bay really well too, it made the bay just a touch cleaner.

158_zps835c0d60.jpg

162_zps9397a03c.jpg

161_zps120168bf.jpg

164_zps7288453b.jpg

001_zps0d7eccd6.jpg

159_zps628aa50e.jpg

009_zps013d13d5.jpg

I've managed to get the car to actually idle for more than a few seconds LOL. But on the downside I'm a little bit at a loss at the moment. The car will run if I give it some gas to keep it going, but not so much if I'm not pedaling it. I know the tune isn't probably the greatest, but there isn't any boost leaks. I'm gonna try and give a buddy a call to see if he'll come help out. But that'll be later this week. Anyway I need some help I'm kinda at the :dunno: stage right now. so I need ya'll to throw out some things to try out. I've gone through pretty much everything I can think of so far and well here I am LOL.

Like I said I was able to get it to idle for a little bit and I was able to film it. But I forgot to save the log from it and need to try to get it going again.

th_088_zpsb6863645.jpg

Well I figured I should post up the build of the motor since talking about it doesn't do much justice. So here it goes enjoy, give some feedback if you'd like.

First I painted the block with por-15, and then took some clear left over from the car. And put a couple coats on it to really make it shine. And since I had the paint out I also decided that I would go crazy. And I painted the oil pan, cross-member, coolant housings and water pipe, turbo housing, and lastly all the motor mounts. And I again took the clear I had left over and laid a nice coat on everything.

024_zpseeb4a3f8.jpg

143_zps19833957.jpg

225_zpse631bf4f.jpg

And I had ordered the balance shaft eliminator kit that came with new bearings, stub shaft and plug. The balance shaft really does work very well for re-moving the old bearings. I did some looking online and found that information on many different threads. And then I just used a socket I had sitting around that fit perfect to install the bearings.

149_zps46304443.jpg

I was in the garage getting ready to port open my oil filter housing. When a friend of mine stopped by and offered to go to his place and open it up. He has done multiple housings prior and had nice bits to open up the bore.

164_zps91512a7d.jpg

165_zps268d749f.jpg

After scrubbing the block a few times, I finally was ready to get the torque plate attached and torque down. Once I was done doing that, the fun stuff was about to begin. And what I thought I would zip though in a quick hour or two. I ended up just taking my time with a six pack, and it took a little less than five hours. I mean I had to eat in between also. But before that, I grabbed the calculator. And it was time to start crunching some numbers for the ring gaps. At first I was just going to use one of the recommended gaps that Wiseco had sent. But after talking to Tim (A great machinist and good friend) who had helped assemble the head. We came up with a different Gap that would be a little more appropriate for my setup and over-all goal. And finally after a few phone calls, it was really just up to me to pull the trigger and go cut some rings.

Here were the original gaps that I had pulled from the paper Wiseco sent.
023_zpsd9e74242.jpg

I ended up doing a mix of the full race and the strip gaps. Also after a little research on the internet I felt comfortable with the gaps. I did .19 on the top ring, and on the bottom I did .23. And here is what the table ended up looking like after everything was done and I was in clean-up mode.

039_zps77b74e9b.jpg

Using the feeler gauge to make sure it was the correct size.
027_zps19287341.jpg

I assembled my pistons and rods inside where it was very clean and neat.
009_zpsbb6845d3.jpg

Here are the ACL grooved bearing's in place ready for the crank to be dropped in. And the main cradle with the bearings in and all lubed up. And I also had cleaned the crank three times before dropped in.

150_zps92ad3fcb.jpg

152_zpsb5cd6b9f.jpg

153_zpsafa4c388.jpg

037_zps59786174.jpg

I didn't get individual pictures of each piston being torqued in. It didn't cross my mind. But here is the bottom end assembled/torqued down to all of ARP specs and ARP Torque grease.

158_zpsb6de3c65.jpg

205_zps6f1238ec.jpg

What I had cut the rings with.
022_zpsd626b791.jpg

155_zps6a5fd71a.jpg

156_zpse0236399.jpg

Finally the short block was all finished and I was ready to do another clean up. And lay out all the parts that were going on to the motor. And built the oil pump, used the plug for blocking off the balance shaft.

159_zps3504c5d0.jpg

187_zps3f94e694.jpg

189_zps037d012f.jpg

188_zps1f72faa0.jpg

190_zpsb8cfb6a0.jpg

When I first got this turbo installed and was getting ready to build the exhaust. It was very noticeable that I was going to need a forward facing oil filter housing. And that I was going to need to relocate the alternator to the back of the motor. And at the time I had a bit more of a budget. So purchasing a relocation kit was out of the question. With that being that I knew I was going to have to make my own. I cut up brackets, thick bolts and other misc. metal to get this perfectly lined up. And added a pulley to put the bracket, to push the belt further way from the timing belt cover. Here is what I had come up with, it works great and it is easy to tighten the belt.

200_zpsa45da6d9.jpg
199_zps023a4e47.jpg
198_zpsb1331f43.jpg

With everything all buttoned up and the long block finished. All I had to do from there was drop the motor into the engine bay. And this also gives a good idea what the turbo housing looked like before it was painted.
203_zps488ada10.jpg
206_zpsf9a956e9.jpg
207_zps6df5a6c0.jpg
211_zps3ba9045d.jpg
210_zps3742f38e.jpg
215_zpsad18ab9e.jpg
218_zps17483cf7.jpg

Here's the new charge pipe I made with the new Tial flange and GM IAT flange.
236_zpse03c0072.jpg

Here are some of the -4 vacuum lines that were run throughout the engine bay. I also have two more ports that are off of the turbo manifold it-self. And I also had a lot of -6AN line sitting around so I used all of it to run the coolant lines to the turbo, and to the throttle body.

230_zpsbcc7b14a.jpg
232_zpsb4fecd0b.jpg
233_zpsc4b08fb5.jpg

And here are some more random pictures of the bay when I was doing some wiring.

035_zps6d649ff4.jpg
032_zpsb85f38fd.jpg
024_zps270374a2.jpg
022_zpsb4830600.jpg

And here is the final build list that the car is at as of now. I'm sure that I'm going to be adding stuff here and there as this progresses so keep your eye out. I got many more plans for this car. :)

Engine
Wiseco .20 over 10:5:1 Piston's
2.0 Manley Forged crank
Eagle H-beam rods
ACL Rod bearings
ACL grooved main bearings
JMF torque plate
ARP Main Studs, Align honed
ARP L-19 head studs
ARP Cam Gear bolts
AEM Cam gears
Clear Timing belt cover
kelford 276/272's
kiggly bee-hive springs/retainers
Revised 3g Lifters
Block and Head decked
Cometic MLS Head Gasket
OEM Oil pump
OEM BSE kit
All OEM Gaskets throughout the motor build
New Dip stick tube, and stick
OEM MLS exhaust manifold gasket
Custom Alternator relocation to rear of motor.
Forward facing oil filter housing
All -6AN water lines
All -4AN vacuum lines
1g blacktop CAS
New OEM harmonic balancer
ARP Harmonic balancer bolt/washer
New OEM heater core

Turbo/Tuning
Holset HE351VE Variable Geometry turbo
3" turbo back Stainless steel exhaust to a 3" Magna-flow muffler all V-band
FP 4" intake pipe
Cheap Exhaust manifold for now.
JMF Race intake manifold
S90 70mm Throttle body
Tial 50mm Q BOV
Turbonetics 38mm waste-gate
ETS 2g Super short route intercooler 26x12x3
All Custom made 2.5" inter-cooler pipe
Custom catch can with -6AN fittings
STM -6 push in fitting for valve cover
-6AN lines ran from valve cover to catch can
MSD spark plug wires
Speed density
ECMlink v3

Drive-train
Stage 3 shep trans/With a few extra misc. add on's.
Rebuild transfer-case
Rebuild Rear Diff.
New Carrier bearings
New U-joints
New Drive-shaft Yolk
OEM Pivot ball/Throw out bearing
OEM Clutch fork
Megan Racing Street series coil overs
ACT 2600/Sprung 6 puck disk
All stainless brake line ran from proportioning valve to Braided stainless brake lines. Also got rid of abs for NON abs.
New OEM brake calipers front and rear.
New E-brake cables
OEM e-brake pads
Rebuild kit for E-brake
OEM rear axle boots both inner/outer on both sides
EBC slotted rotors front/rear
EBC Red stuff pads front/rear
Prothane Total bushing kit
Moog upper ball joints
Moog Tie rod ends
Rebuild rack and pinion
Rebuilt Power steering pump.
Stainless coolant over-flow container
9" K&N filter
OEM thermostat and o-ring
Mishimoto radiator cap
Aluminum 3 core race intercooler
Twin 1250CFM Slim fans

Fuel
Deatshworks 320lph fuel pump
1250cc injectors
Aeromotive FPR
-6AN Feed
-6AN Return
Fuel Lab 818 Fuel filter
Fuel Lab 40 Micron stainless steel Fuel Filter

Last edited:
Man did I just hit another set back LOL. I got all the boost leaks all buttoned up and was re-doing the pressure test. And since I plan on going to high 30's I redid the test and got to somewhere in the low 30's and BOOM. My intercooler literally blew open in 5 spots, there may be more but its still mounted in the car. When I pull it we will see how bad it really is.

So with that BS happening I just figured it was another chance to upgrade to bigger and better parts. And I'm pretty glad it happened at home and not on the expressway or in the middle of a pull. So I ordered a ETS super short route 26x12x3" intercooler core with no piping. Which should be good enough for this setup and probably anything I'm going to have on the car in the future. So I think once that comes in I will be able to finally tune it up and see how it really runs and drives.

I'm not to sure what the brand the old one is, it could possibly be a old vrsf intercooler. I've had installed that one on the car when I got it about 4 years ago. And at that time I had bought it used and it was beat up. but it has defiantly served it's purpose for many years.

So the new one that I purchased from ETS is the 3" thick core. And it is there super short route intercooler for the 2g, and is dimensions are 26x12x3.

Nice build man, I am really diggin the side exit exhaust, it adds just the right amount of extra flare IMO.

Nice build working on my body right now among other things gonna decide on paint color for next year good clean setup, love the turbo.

Nice build man, I am really diggin the side exit exhaust, it adds just the right amount of extra flare IMO.

Thanks man, I defiantly was looking for something different and more my style. And I'm really happy with how it came out with looks and sound.

Nice build working on my body right now among other things gonna decide on paint color for next year good clean setup, love the turbo.

Thank you, and I agree this turbo is pretty cool. A little more of a hassle to tune with but pretty fun over all. Do you have a build thread going?

Just got the tracking number today, I should be reciving my ets core thursday. So tomorrow I'm gonna rip all the old shit outta there and get ready to pop the new one in and get the first drive in this thing.

Well I got the intercooler in last week. And I'm very impressed with the quality of metal and welds on this core. The aluminum on this core is far greater quatlity that the cheap junk I had installed previously. Just picking it up I could feel the weight difference on them. And between work and classes I found some time to get the old core one ripped out. It had blown open in 3 spots, one of the spots had already been bent in and fins all jacked up. Then the other two spots had actually blown open at the top where the bolts screw into. When I was pulling it out I seen those two spots right away. I'm quite sure that is where I heard the big explosion from the metal bashing into the bolts. But anyway with that old junk out of the place, I mocked up the new ets core where I wanted it to sit. Marked some holes on the supplied mounts drilled some holes and good to go. I just had to cut about 6 inches off my upper charge pipe to make everything fit perfect.

051_zpse2ff1086.jpg

052_zps2f222830.jpg

060_zpsd577c741.jpg

070_zps0f5c8d9e.jpg

071_zps1758a99e.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back