The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

autocross T28 intercooler options

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96DsmTunr

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 11, 2008
akron, Alabama
Hey guys. I'm getting the car painted in about a month and would like to have my front mount installed by then so I wont have to cut it up after its been painted. I'm building a strictly autocross car. I'm already in a street modified class so I can put whatever I want on the car. I still have the stock t25 but plan to upgrade to the FP T28 in a few months (looking at about 6 months). Currently that car is in another state and wont be diven that much in general. What intercooler will go best with the t28? I dont care about the fog lights. If I can keep them great if not o well. Also I dont plan on doing any side mounts because I would like to retain the factory wheel well plastic.

You want the front mount for sure? You could always go with the supra sidemount..Or for a turbo you could always go with a small 16g, but the t28 probably spools a little quicker..Or hell you could go with a 14b, and save a few hundred bux..

Strictly autocross? You want the sidemount..

I love the spool on the Big28 i have on the GST, at 16lbs of boost i have logged 32lbs/min and full boost at a hair over 3000 rpm.

What Absit said. If it's strictly autocross, you don't want a FMIC. It will have more of a negative effect on your spool for one.

The FP T28 is bigger than the 14B, capable of 550 CFM, it's very on-par with a 16G.

What do you mean bigger? As in flow? The T28 easily. The FP Big T28 is comparative to the Evo 3 16G. I'm pretty sure the E316G outflows it, but not by a hell of a lot.

If I go with a side mount I have to cut up that whole side and not run with the plastic in the wheel well right?
It will be strictly an autocross car. I have the lifted jeep for dd.

You can use the stock side mount, but cutting some of that plastic out isn't a bad idea, just put something over it so you don't kick rocks into your core. Or you could just cut vents into the plastic.

I think the supra sidemount fits into the stock location pretty well.I'd have to check.. But I know Its an upgrade from stock 1g, 2g sidemounts..

Bullseye used to list a upgraded side mount for our cars, and I believe it was on Bonehead Performance's previous website. The numbers I am listing's setup is;
evo 560cc injectors
walbro 255
obx fpr (don't poke fun it works and it was cheap)
evo 9 bov
ported 2g manifold
1G TB
stock sidemount
stock upper IC piping
3 inch turbo back
DSMlink V3 to tune with

I haven't done a recent log but I turned it up to 19lbs no knock still with afr's in the 10's no knock

Yea that set up looks terrible haha I would hate to have a nice painted car and a ghetto sidemount with stuff all hanging out. There has to be a front mount that can be put in place without losing any power and still look clean. I will be putting on a 99 front end.

Well like I was saying, you could do that and easily make it look cleaner than that. I don't think it would take much to have someone fab up a custom bracket to hold it in place without it being visible. He just chose the easy/fast way to get it done, but my point was that you can put an upgraded side-mount on it without having to get rid of the plastic piece.

Yea. I'm not in the state to add any parts so it's going to have to go to a shop that install. I would prefer to have a bolt on job other than a custom job. You know how shops like to charge a lot for custom work and it always takes them longer than needed haha. Thats kinda why I'm leaning away from the custom work.

If you had to have a FMIC, a VRSF unit would probably be one of the more cost effective ways to go as well as less of an impact on spool, as it's a short route piping setup. There would still be custom work to be done, as it's meant for down firing turbo's, as are almost all FMIC's for the DSM. The exception is a Greddy model I believe. It runs a lot longer piping though.

I would recommend a sidemount too for autocross. Less volume of piping for the turbo to fill up. You can also get creative and do more of a custom short route set up by using a smaller diameter piping. I used 2.25in instead of 2.5. The logic there is a little less volume for the turbo to fill, thus a little quicker spool time? Maybe even something small, like 2in might work well considering your only going with a T28 and in autocross. Or, what about putting a little fan on the sidemount intercooler? You don't really need the large volume of air to be hitting massive hp like as if you were going down the 1320.

And the FP T28 is a great turbo! I love mine. Spools super quick! And very comparible to a 16g.

Your problem with running the sidemount is going to be heatsoak. The VRSF front mount will work cause it is a short route.

Last edited:
I say go with a Supra sidemount. They are a lot bigger than a DSM sidemount and are good up to about 350-ish hp, less weight than an FMIC, less piping, doesn't block the radiator...

Wait, you would take your car to a shop to have them install a smic and you're worried that it'd be a hassle/$$$ with all the custom fabbing.
However, you'd still be taking your fmic to a shop for install that could require just as much or much more modification to fit.

Did I read this right?

I liked the combination of the large DeJon sidemount and water injection with an FP big T28.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back