The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo8 turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63thermal

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 18, 2007
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
what would i need to do to use this turbo if possible have one out of a car that only had 8k on it turbo is and looks brand new

Not worth it, you would have to flip it as the turbo is inverted on the later evo's setup, the intake is on the other side and you would also need a twinscroll exhaust manifold. Too much work for not much outcome. IF the price is good then buy it and sell it on EVOm.net and buy a evo 3 16g.

i didnt pay anything for it i got it for free

Nice turbo, not worth it. Turbine housing is big, twin volute offsets this and net result is exactly the same spoolup as an EVO3 16g without any big difference in the topend. Sell it and pocket the money.

i didnt pay anything for it i got it for free
There's a reason for that....they only fit Evo IV-IX models.

I've literally watched these turbos in good used condition end for $80 on eBay before; that's less than a used 14B sells for.

I wonder if you could swap the internals with a turbo that does bolt on to our motors. That might be worth getting one, not sure what these turbos output but I guess the only turbo worth putting the internals into would be a 14b, since I assume they perform about the same as a 16g since you guys are telling him to sell it and get one of those?

(run on sentence ftw.. too tired to think right now)

I wonder if you could swap the internals with a turbo that does bolt on to our motors.
That would be impossible.

If you installed the Evo VIII's turbine wheel in a DSM turbine housing, the airflow entering the housing would be hitting the backside of the wheel.

Likewise, the compressor wheel would be generating airflow in the reverse direction that any DSM compressor cover would allow it to exit....so the airflow generated by the compressor would have nowhere to go.

I assume they perform about the same as a 16g since you guys are telling him to sell it and get one of those?
Evo VIII's use a TD05HR 16G.

damn, just need a fancy turbine housing upgrade and we could be making teh dough.

Sometimes i just have to laugh at these threds and nothing personal to the OP, it's jsut that rumors start to float about how "X" car, if you can use ANY of it's parts on yours will gain 3trillion HP and spool off idle while cooking you breakfast that it just makes me bust out laughing.... All i can do is sit here and think how i'd love to go to the "street races" with a bunch of EVO badges and maybe even an evo valve cover duct taped on my car so i could be the talk of the night about thensecret sleeper 2g with all the EVO parts... I swear the word EVO is the new JDM or SPOON LOL LOL

Again no offense but like the one post ssaid, this stuff is asked so often i have to wonder if people are just getting EVO parts for free or if they really believe there's soimething secret and magical about certain cars and their parts that make putting them on worth it being more trouble than if you just were to put the whole engine and tranny and ECU swap in using a chop saw and MIG welder and a few tubes of glue LOL

Sorry...had to spit it out cause i'm laughing so hard to myself picturing pulling up on a saturday night with evo parts taped on my car and hearing the younger bunch whispering "you see he's got EVO parts on there?" Like i said nothing personal, it's just thte whole EVO mystique/aura that's really nothing spectacular but will have people turning their entire engine around just to get a head, manifold or turbo on, then they have to figure out how to make teh engine run backwards so they have 5 forward gears again and one reverse

NO NO NO it won't work OMG...JK.

First thing, you are going to need an Evo 8 manifold, because it has the correct flange to bolt to the turbo. Don't worry about bolting the manifold to the head, the flanges are the same as a DSM. Secondly, you are going to have to do some fabrication work, or have someone do it for you. The intake/exhaust are switched as compared to a stock DSM, so you'll most likely have to fab up a new downpipe, a new intake pipe, and IC pipes. I hope you don't mind losing the PS, and you might have to relocate the alternator. Is it worth it? I don't know, that is up to you. If you have the skills to do it yourself, by all means, do it. If you can't, I guess it would depend on who can help you out. Or, you can send it to me and I'll pay shipping :D

the exhaust mani and turbo would work good on a custom RWD 4g63 powered build...like those couple CRX's , starions and the random other cars that have been built that way.... These here are what i wanna build when the 2g e-cripse body is finally done for ..and in this case the EVO stuff would probably be ideal, but on a FWD/AWD configured engine/trans it just aint worth the PITA and fab work since you could get all the same results from another turbo out there withnear identical compressor map and onfigured properly

WAYYYYY too much work to have a 16G on your car and make 350whp. :toobad:

I'm not saying I would ever do it LOL, just saying it would be interesting. Maybe even build a custom forward facing manifold so you could bolt up most Evo turbo's like BBK's stock framed turbo they make for the Evo that can produce up to 500hp.

The evo X turbo is what you should be trying this on, IMO. Twinscroll and larger. Folks are getting rid of those apparently 20g sized turbos already. Very worth it when you consider having much more 21st century turbine technology coupled with a turbo that's a frame size up from the 16g.

The evo X turbo is what you should be trying this on, IMO. Twinscroll and larger. Folks are getting rid of those apparently 20g sized turbos already. Very worth it when you consider having much more 21st century turbine technology coupled with a turbo that's a frame size up from the 16g.

The OEM EVO X turbo is smaller than the VIII-IX turbo, it's a "15g". If you've ever driven an X, they spool a bit quicker than an IX but fall flat up top more.

size of evo x turbo? - evolutionm.net

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back