The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

what cars came stock with a 14G.. yes.. 14G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJYoshaBYD

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2006
Stockton, California
im trying to find a replacement turbo for the starion, and I now know I cannot bolt my old 14b off my talon to it.. at all..

so my next step up is a 14g.. what mitsu cars came STOCK with there turbos? It impossible to find them, and I cannot afford a 16g right now, otherwise it would be on there... help?:cry:

I put a 14B on a Starion once. I saw it in a thread at StarQuestClub.com The oil and water lines bolt up with a little bending. We had a custom O2 housing on the car, which is recomended since the stock O2 housing is incredibly restrictive.

Why is there so many nipples on the WG???

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The 14g compressor flows the same as the 14b compressor. But the 14g is SLIGHTLY more efficient. . .

Looks like you found a place to get a 14g. . .

Why is there so many nipples on the WG???

I'm not sure why the upper chamber would require two boost sources, but the lower port is in place to help hold the wastegate shut like a Garrett dual-port actuator does....the same reason a Tial wastegate has a port on top of the diaphragm that is normally not used.

My typing is slow and painful tonight because I almost cut my left middle finger off in a bench grinder yesterday, so I'll copy and paste the next descriptive phrase to further explain:

"A dual port wastegate adds a second port on the opposite side of the actuator. Air pressure allowed to enter this second port aids the spring to push harder in the direction of closing the wastegate. This is exactly the opposite of the first port. The ability to help the wastegate remain closed as boost pressure builds can be increased.

This also adds further complexity to boost control, requiring more control ports on the solenoid or possibly a complete second boost control system with its own separate solenoid. Use of the second port is not necessary. Secondary ports, unlike primary ports, cannot be simply attached to a boost control line and require electronic control to be useful."

I'm not sure why the upper chamber would require two boost sources, but the lower port is in place to help hold the wastegate shut like a Garrett dual-port actuator does....the same reason a Tial wastegate has a port on top of the diaphragm that is normally not used.

My typing is slow and painful tonight because I almost cut my left middle finger off in a bench grinder yesterday, so I'll copy and paste the next descriptive phrase to further explain:

"A dual port wastegate adds a second port on the opposite side of the actuator. Air pressure allowed to enter this second port aids the spring to push harder in the direction of closing the wastegate. This is exactly the opposite of the first port. The ability to help the wastegate remain closed as boost pressure builds can be increased.

This also adds further complexity to boost control, requiring more control ports on the solenoid or possibly a complete second boost control system with its own separate solenoid. Use of the second port is not necessary. Secondary ports, unlike primary ports, cannot be simply attached to a boost control line and require electronic control to be useful."
In plain terms something similar to a DSM BCS solenoid only with 2 options is routed to each nipple on either side allowing the computer to control under certain conditions whether it wants the spring to open at 10 psi or 7.5psi. I just finished researching this topic as i have a 14g on my Starion and for the most part everyone leaves the bottom "7.5psi" port open and bypasses the BCS in order to maintain 10psi under all conditions.

OEM Starion turbos have TDO5 turbine wheels, and replacement 14G/Bs and 16Gs all have 5h turbine wheel, so you'd have to machine the turbine housing.

Plus the stock '8cm' exhaust housing on the Starquest has smaller inlet and outlet than the 6cm housing off a 14b. Oh yeah, the Starquest wastegate outlet points straight down at the turbine outlet, which hurts flow. A 14b is an upgrade in so many ways.

Stock turbos for the StarQuest.

A larger area indicates a larger volute. Regardless of the inlet hole size. The inlet should be a good transtion from the collector and nothing more. A decent port job and you have an 8cm^2 turbine housing that will flow like an 8cm^2 turbine housing. The outlet hole can be port matched to the o2 housing just like a 14b is portmatched to an evo3 o2 housing.

Yes the wastegate outlet is placed in a less than ideal location, disrupting the outlet airflow helix. Mostly an issue with large frame turbos. The outlet bolt pattern is a 3bolt pattern that would allow a very good flowing custom o2 housing to be used. Couple that to external gating (by sealing off the less efficient gate) and to the larger a/r housing than a 7cm^2 tdo5h 16g/18g/20 housing, this would be a superior upgrade over clipping the td05h turbine wheel. You will increase flow per psi and peak flow out the turbine like clipping but without reducing the efficiency of the turbine like clipping. This housing would allow the hotside to flow closer to a tdo6 7cm^2 hotside, which is enough hotside to reach the choke flow of a 20g compressor. The housing will need to be machined to fit the td05h turbine wheel, which can be relatively affordable to do.

DJYoshaBYD, why don't you just have the star/quest turbine housing cut to fit the td05h turbine wheel? This saves the stock o2housing/downpipe configuration. And an 8cm^2 td05h 14b will have a WHOLE lot more flow per psi than the stock 6cm^2 td05h 14b. You're spool will be a little slower than with a 14g, but the 14b has a 34lb/min compressor and you will have a better flowing hotside than a 16g. Down the road, you could reach that 34lb/min potential alot more readily than with the 14g.

EDIT: I'm looking at the starion 12a turbine outlet pics. And the bolt pattern looks awefully similar to a 1g/2g turbine outlet bolt pattern. Except for the extra 2 bolts for the wastegate coverplate. The top most coverplate bolt looks like it coincides with the 1g/2g top most turbine outlet bolt.

Here might be a dumb question, but here we go....

Why not use the o2 housing from the 14b that came from the 4g63 setup? I have to get the starquest over here yet today, but I will be swapping said 14b onto this Conquest soon enough. I was thinking I could have a flange welded onto the pipe before the cat converter, that would bolt right to the 4g o2 housing...right?

The 14g compressor flows the same as the 14b compressor. But the 14g is SLIGHTLY more efficient. . .

LOL, how do you have a compressor map for every turbo I've ever seen. It's like you have a huge stack of compressor maps and anytime I see a turbo thread...bam! here comes the compressor map LOL.

But honestly we all appreciate it, you make things clear very easily.

Here might be a dumb question, but here we go....

Why not use the o2 housing from the 14b that came from the 4g63 setup?

I think that's a radical idea! I haven't seen anyone do it yet. It would definately be cool! Because...

well...

you realize the Starquest uses a top mounted turbo, right? That means the turbo is upside-down, so the DSM O2 housing would point straight up through the hood! Just weld a straight pipe to an exhaust flange, cut a hole in the hood, and have the exhaust pipe stick straight up out of the hood! It would look like a mud bogging, tractor pulling, redneck swearin' snorting manipulated contrivance of a machine.
If that's what you're going for. :)

I am learning! I didn't know that this thing was upside-down.... I have not taken it off just yet. That was going to be done tomorrow. Otherwise, that sounds like FUN! LOLz Well so much for that idea. I will be getting a welder before too long, I will have to make a downpipe for the setup, properly. I don't like the whole cat converter 2 inches from the inlet... Look for my tech thread soon! I just need to charge up the dig cam batteries. I think this should all be documented better. I found the info I needed, but sometimes looked like a fool like I did with my question back there. I am currently trying to figure out where I can get the housing machined, plus block oil to the bad 12a for now. Its smoking like a pig!

You're right about the cat, it's very restrictive. Plus the O2 housing has a sharp bend in it, and the O2 sensor protrudes directly into the exhaust, blocking almost half of the turbine outlet. You'll gain a lot of power with a free flowing O2 housing/DP.

Since you can weld, here's one way to make your own O2 housing/DP combo. Get a mitsu turbine outlet flange, two 2.5" stainless 90 degree bends, a 1.5" stainless 90 degree bend, and two 2.5" two bolt exhaust flanges. Once the turbo is bolted onto the car, attach the outlet flange to the turbo and line up the 2.5" pipe to see where it should be cut so it points down below the car and meets the rest of the exhaust. The second 90 degree bend goes under the car so the DP points back. Use the 1.5" pipe for the wastegate outlet, it can be cut at an angle so it blends into the new downpipe. Or you can just point it straight down if you want an external dump tube.

Let me know if this isn't clear, I may have pics of the setup we did to our lemons Conquest/Starion aka 'Carrion'.

The TD05H-14g was on FUSO box truck 4 cylinder diesel motors.

The TD05H-14g was on FUSO box truck 4 cylinder diesel motors.

Was just getting ready to type that!!! If you throw a 14g/b or a 16g on that car it will run like HELL! The only bad thing is trying to get a cheap turbo upgrade. That tiny little 12a cant even power the motor much past 5-6k. I had one with a Small 16g on it at ~15 psi and was keeping up with STI's. I still have the hot side so if your interested PM me about it.

Wow i just noticed that. I do not have any idea how i came across a old post like this one.

haha, i remember when you almost lost the tip of your finger...you put tape over it to keep it on and kept working, haha >_<

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back