The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

window tint ticket... help! PA

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endeffect0

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2006
Lancaster Area, Pennsylvania
Ok guys just got another ticket in my 91 turbo. the cops in the small town i go to school in know me well, and this will make roughly $1000 in tickets and fines just since i got this car at the start of fall. don't take that and assume I'm a maniac, i have only gotten one speeding ticket in the last 3 years. but i have gotten repeated and high fines for inspection, noise, not carrying papers, window tint... a whole list of things... any way,

This time I drove past the police station (in neutral so its not loud and doing below the speed limit), the guy pulled out in an unmarked car and followed me for five miles to see if i was going to speed or do anything stupid. i obviously wasn't going to and i know the officer and the car well enough. after realizing i wasn't going to give him a reason to pull me over, he did any way. he decided to cite me for window tint, again. This time he had a brand new (still had the protective film on it) window tint meter that he probably bought with the revenue from my previous fines.. the meter showed that i have a window of 5% !?!? where the legal limit is 70% i don't see how thats possible in the first place as i can still see out the windows and that would be pretty much blacked out...

Either way i now have an entirely new type of ticket in my possession. Its written up on what is basically a 10x6 penndot post card. it has all of my information written up on it and illegal tint written as the offense. i was instructed to take off the tint and bring the car back to the station or have another officer sign off that i had removed it and mail the slip to them within 5 bis days. it only says to do this or "failure to comply will bring penalties as prescribed by law"

So what do i do? i don't know what the 'penalties' are or how much that is gonna run. and to make matters worse my car is un-inspected, partially because it will fail due to modifications and partially because i don't have the money to make it legal again because off all these tickets. so i would be driving up to a police station that has ticketed me for inspection in the past with a still un- inspected car.. seems like I'm just asking for it.

what should i do? how much do these tickets run? If i am going to spend more to get the car re-tinted then for the ticket is it even worth it? and does any one know an inspection station in PA that would be tuner friendly or some other alternative (PM me on that one)

thanks guys
...damn that turned into a long post...

As far as window tint is concerned, it's not illegal because it limits your view outside of the car. It's illegal because it prevents the officer from looking into the car, and they consider that a big time safety hazard. Regardless of anything else.

The only way you can really ever get out of a window tint ticket is if you prove there wasn't sufficient sunlight to do a good test of the window test.

First things first, take the tint off. And dont pay to have it done again if your going to be driving through that area, thats just pointless.

Secondly, Im pretty sure that the card the officer gave you can be signed or stamped by an official PA inspection station. Im almost positive it doesnt have to be signed by an officer. Read it carefully or call the station to find out.
If you can take it to a PA inspection place, take the tint off and take it to an inspection spot and have them sign/stamp the card. They cant ticket you for not having your inspection done, then just mail the card in, you dont have to deal with the police that way.

As far as getting an inspection, your on your own on that one. Its getting harder and harder in PA to find a place to overlook things. On a plus note, your not OBDII, so getting an inspection sticker is a 1000x easier.

Just take the tint off. The cop cut you a break and didn't actually cite you yet. Once you take it off take the card to the station and ask to see the officer. Let him see that you've removed the tint and he should let it go. If you really want to keep the tint you could be an ass an take it to court. Ask them to provide proof of when the tint meter was last calibrated. Any time they pull out special equipment it has to be calibrated or they can't use it to cite you. You'd be better off to just remove the tint and let it go. Even if you get out of the tint fines they will just keep pulling you over for any little thing you do. Once they get to know you and your car it's all down hill from there. Just keep a low profile and do what they say.

I probably will just peel the tint off. What do you think about heading back to the station without the inspection. do you think they will try to cite me again. i cant imagine that they will be dicks but its a risk.

Most of the cops in the are do know me on a fist name basis, they are all good guys, most with family's and bills to pay. but unfortunately they do know i am an easy ticket... I know im in the wrong, if i had a proper and legal car i would have no issues with them.

does anyone know how much these tickets run? or how much tinting the front windows will cost.. i am trying to get my daily driver back on the road so maybe i just pay the fine and walk around town till i can park it until summer...

If I where you I would ride my bike LOL Although I ride mine to work everyday hahaha...

The tickets can rage from 50-500 dollars....I had 1 in the lower end (50) for having 2.5 % tint on my old 91 TSi AWD...Can't see in at all no matter how much light....could barely see out....had to drive with the windows down most of the time......

Cop asked me if I tinted the windows I said yes sir, he then proceded to ask if I knew what the legal limit was, Yes Sir again.....
He stood there thinking how to ask me this next question....Then why did you install that dark of a tint......I smiled back at him and said..."Find me a place that sells 70% tint and I'll buy it...." Smirked at me walked back to his car and then proceded to write me out a fine for 50 dollars....not bad at all and told me to yank off the tint....

Well paid the fine and ended up getting rid of the car...got a 99 GSX and got those windows tinted 5% now....

and btw for inspections for OBD-II cars You just gotta know where to go.....No cat, no emissions, no charcoal canister...nada....Pass with flying colors

As for the tint, I would just take it off and count my losses. They know your car in that area and your being brave(or ignorant depending on how you look at it) as it is driving with no inspection. In my area you will get taged and towed for that (which can be done-no inspection means that the said vechile is NOT safe and legal for use on PA stare roadways). I know this being the one towing cars for this very reason. So my suggestion is handle the tint thing however you want depending on how much you like it, find an alternate route(hoping that there isn't more strict cops that way), and get inspected, I always hate having to put another DSM(besides mine, i'm used to it) on the back of my truck.

thanks for the input man...

i didnt realize that the fines can run that high ... looks like im gonna have to pull it off.. $hit... how much does tint run for two windows ?

tint runs about 20-25 dolllars and 1 tube can probably do both windows if you cut it right.....make sure you clean window beforehand and spray lots of soapy bubbles when peeling the tint and on the window and everything....

thanks for the tip, and everything else man .

thank you all for the info and advice. Ill be peeling the tint and heading down to the station tomorrow. given the price of the ticket vs tint...

I thought tint was going from high to low. High being the car is fully visable down to low which has little visabilty.

James :laser::talon:

So either that cop had eyes like a eagle, or the OP doesnt know his tint.

James :laser::talon:

You can buy precut tint kits for like 80bucks. I did, fit perfectly. The back window needs to be done professionaly, trust me. That can range from 70-150.

Just to clarrify your window tint is 5%. Which means it lets 5% of the light into the car where as to be leagl it must let atleast 70% of light into the car that's how that works. Now I live in the burbs in SJ and we usualy can get by with like 20% on the front. You can have the back and rear window tinted as much as you want it's just the fronts that can't be tinted but again 20% seems to not piss anyone off but then again I have had Limo(5%) and never had problems either so you just got bad luck.

i have a tint shop and i always recommend my customers get no darker than 35% (35% light transmittance through window) on their front windows.. now, when you tint the rear windows darker than 35% they dont allow light to transmit in to those windows,,, in turn making the 35% that you have on the front appear darker than it is... i have 35% all the way around on my gs-t and have no problems..

i would definatley recommend 35% or lighter on all windows to play it "safe" but some places like peters twp, mt lebonan, and others in my area cops dont care, they say no tint....

well you can print this...

Tint Board

and the statutes for PA tint laws and take them in for a hearing to fight it... as long as they can see in the car, then it is legal...

PA Motor Vehicle Code
Ch. 45 75 Section 4524 (e)(1)
(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

(2) This subsection does not apply to:

(i) A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows of the type and specification that were installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle or to any hearse, ambulance, government vehicle or any other vehicle for which a currently valid certificate of exemption has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.

(ii) A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows, sun screening devices or other materials which comply with all applicable Federal regulations and for which a currently valid certificate of exemption for medical reasons has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.

(3) A certificate of exemption shall be issued by the department for a vehicle which is:

(i) Registered in this Commonwealth on the effective date of this subsection and is equipped with a sun screening device or other material prohibited under paragraph (I) on the effective date.

(ii) Equipped with tinted windows, sun screening devices or other materials for a physical condition that makes it necessary to equip the motor vehicle with sun screening material which would be of a light transmittance or luminous reflectance in violation of this section.

(A) A certificate of exemption for medical reasons shall be issued only if the owner or registrant of the vehicle, or a person residing in the household of the owner or registrant who regularly drives or is driven in the vehicle, suffers from a physical condition deter-mined by the department, in consultation with the Medical Advisory Board, to justify the exemption.

(B) Any person requesting an exemption for medical reasons shall have his physical condition certified to the department by a licensed physician or optometrist.

(4) A certificate of exemption issued under this subsection shall be carried in the vehicle and displayed on request of a police officer.

(5) Upon the sale or transfer of the vehicle to any person who does not qualify under paragraph (2)(ii), the exemption shall be null and void. Prior to the sale or transfer of an exempt vehicle, it shall be the sole responsibility of !he owner or seller of a formerly exempt vehicle to remove all sun screening or other materials from the vehicle. At the time of the sale or transfer of a formerly exempt vehicle, the owner shall remove and destroy the certificate of exemption for physical reasons and provide the purchaser with a notarized statement setting forth the name and address of the owner or seller, the vehicle identification number, year and model, and the business entity and process used to remove the sun screening or other material.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PENNSYLVANIA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
PA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE TITLE 67 - CHAPTER 175.67 (d)(4). This is an Administrative Rule, NOT the Law. Rules enacted by administrative agencies like the DOT, the police, or schools and other institutions MUST COMPLY with all PA Laws. They CANNOT (legally) be enforced unless they do!

Here's one for you guys. I have two cars I drive about equally. I've gotten pulled over about four times so far in 2008 alone for the tint on my 2004 hyundai tiburon. Have not gotten pulled over for it once on my 2003 dodge ram 2500. I got the tint put on mainly because if the sun reflects into my eyes from the side windows, I sneeze uncontrollably. Sunglasses help for the front but not for the sides. I tell the police officers this that pull me over and they laugh at me and sent me to their doctor to get it checked out. Their doctor told me it wasn't a legit reason for having my windows tinted. Should I go to my doctor and get a second opinion or just rip the tint off? I just want the police to stop harrassing me. I also got the tint because I was almost carjacked a couple times. I have to drive through some bad areas and I'm a small blonde girl and people see me as an easy target. I haven't had any problems since my windows have been tinted...is there a way I could use this to help?

Sneezing caused by light stimulation is a valid medical condition (some people are set off by fluorescent light flicker). You need to find a doctor who sucks less, and who'll give you a medical pass. Without it, no cop will listen to you.
As for the bigotry involved between trucks and sports coupes, well, that's just obvious. All people discriminate and profile, and cops are just people.

WELL to start off if you dont take it off your gonna keep getting reamed and if u dont like tickets dont drive a dsm cops hate these cars they will literally look for a reason to pull you over in either state your in im from pa and they are not to nice once you get in your dsm and just be happy your there ### once your in NY there are 20xs worse they make up reasons to pull you over here but like spoolin said(good guy got me started w my dsm project) take it off man its not worth the trouble and the police hate it ### they cant see in your vechicle which makes your traffic stop go to the next level in most cases meaning you wont get a warning they will find something..... they always do and sound is not to big of a deal in pa next time you get pulled over ask the officer the last time he pulled over a mustang or camaro for being to loud they dont really ever and it might get you out of a few stops (2 and counting) ROFL

take it off and you will see a difference on how the cops act trust me

i had 20% all around on mine and got pulled over by State Trooper. He told me to get it changed to 50% (which is legal % here) and he'd wash the ticket. So now i have stock looking fronts :mad:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back